Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#25570 - 11/21/00 06:46 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
It must say "Product of Spain" and then we "know" it is from Spain. But here in the U.S. for some reason, people think things from Italy are better than from Spain, (blame that on ignorance, and people thinking Spain is south of the border), therefore, by saying "Product of Italy" , people may be more apt to buy it here.
It kills me to read articles or hear people go on and on about Italian food and products and how it is the best in the Mediterrean cuisine department. Not that there isn't anything wrong with Italian food. I just think the Italians knew how to market themselves here! It still amazes me that being in California, my choices for Spanish food are about 3, while every corner boasts an Italian restaurant. People don't know what they are missing!!!Oh well, i'm just biased.

That's my opinion, what's yours?

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent!

#25571 - 11/22/00 01:32 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I realize that I'm being heretical here (prepare the auto da fe) but in spite my passion for Spanish food I have to confess that I admire Italian cuisine even more. Italians have much of what the Spaniards have plus augmention by infinite varieties of pasta dishes.

If I had to choose only one cuisine, I'd go with Italian as exemplifed by all its variation from top to toe of the peninsula-- not just spaghetti and pizza.

If you think back far enough, you will recall that it was the Italians who taught the French how to cook. I don't know who taught the Spaniards how to cook--although they did a fine job.
Cantabene

#25572 - 11/22/00 05:10 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Guapetona Offline

The Italians and the French have done a remarkable job of marketing their food and culture. I asssume this has something to do with their mass immmigration into this country.
Spain has the second lowest emigration rate in the world after North Americans so there is probably a correlation between this and the shortage of Spanish food products.
Spanish cuisine has long been the envy of the rest of Europe. During the Napoleonic Invasion recipes from convents and monasteries were stolen by the French. Among these were cookbooks written by Ruperto De Nola, perhaps the most brilliant chef of the Middle Ages. His recipes and techniques have become the basis for much of what the world considers to be French cuisine.
A few examples of this: crema catalana, use of veal, pate, foie gras, bain marie, mousses, use of citric fruits in desserts..all Spanish.
These are just a few examples.
It must also not be forgotten that the Romans adored Spain not so much as a territorial conquest but as a gastronomic paradise.
Examples: Garum, azafran (saffron), capers, ..etc.
FYI The chef at "El Bulli" in Catalunya is considered by many experts as the Best Chef in the World. His name is Ferran Adria.
I've been there and he is remarkable!

------------------

#25573 - 11/25/00 02:38 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
uphilldeb Offline

Loc: South Lake Tahoe, CA
Hey guys!

Thanks for the input about the olives and olive oil. I'm going to check out tienda.com and I'm going to check Trader Joes when we go to the city. I just read a whole article about olive oil in Martha Stewart Living magazine and discovered that much of what is labled "Italy" is actually from Turkey! Too weird! At any rate, I'm a true fan of Spanish olive oil. Now I'll just have to find a favorite label to become a true devotee.

You have to understand that although I'm from California (where you would expect lots of Spanish foods and products), most of what people think of here as being Spanish is acutally Mexican. HUGE difference. Mexican food is TOTALLY different than what I ate of Spanish food. The food items that you find in the Mexican stores that are actually labled from Spain seem to be commonly Mexican (at least from my own admittedly limited experience).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mexican food too. But actually, here in California, ours is not true Mexican. Californian Mexican food generally has more cheese, is seasoned better (IMHO), and tends to combine lots of different dishes on one plate. I've been to Mexico, and their food is quite different.

Deb

#25574 - 11/25/00 04:12 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
hi there deb:
i apologize for joining this conversation a bit late. hopefully you receive this prior to your next trip to the city. it is entirely true about the confusion and serious lack of spanish products in california. you would think with our historical and cultural ties that we would be much closer...unfortunetly this isn't true. i was born and raised in san diego and now live in san francisco. it is actually even more difficult to find spanish products here in northern california. as you said, the majority of the stores labeled as being latino are actually mexican markets. i couldn't agree with you more in regards to the differences in food from here in california as opposed to that in mexico.
in saying that, there is only one market in san francisco that i know of that stocks a variety of spanish products. there's a latino market in the mission distrct here in the city called casa lucas. they carry pimientos de piquillo, three different types of olives, a couple varities of olive oil, marinated sardines, bacalao, bomba rice, and fabada. they have two locations one on mission the other on 24th st. mind you i haven't been there in a while, this is based upon my last visit a several months ago.
oddly enough, trader joe's does have a good supply of spanish products considering the alternative. at the one i shop at they have olive oil from cataluna and another from toledo. what makes me happy is that they carry queso manchego, queso tetilla, queso cabrales and queso mahon. they also have a few spanish wines and cava.
adding to the olive oil discussion. i too am very partial to spanish olive oil. its i fruitiness and rich flavor is what sets it apart. i would add that some of the very best olive oil in the world comes from greece. the kalamatas that they press from have a wonderful flavor similar to spanish. note that in the store there is a ubiquitous brand by the name of STAR. this is actually a spanish oil that's produced by the borges family.

ps: guapetona, actually azafran came to spain via the moors. thus the arabic name.

#25575 - 11/27/00 10:43 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Guapetona, Can you give more info on the chef and the restaurant, El Bulli? Sounds like something everyone on the board would be interested in .....

#25576 - 11/27/00 01:28 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I've read many things about Fernan Adria in travel and food magazines. Apparently, El Bulli is located just outside of Barcelona and as mentioned before, Adria was voted the most exciting chef out of Europe last year.
What he is known for is creating these foam/mousse like concoctions like truffle foam or foie gras foam, dispensed out of a CO2 can(like the whipped cream canisters).
I have recently read, that in Madrid, this idea is being knocked off in many new upscale restaruants.
If you want to go to El Bulli, I suggest reservations far in advance, (taking the advice from Food and Wine mag. seriously)

#25577 - 11/28/00 04:35 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Puna-

Go to www.latimes.com. They just did a feature a few months ago on El Bulli and the chef there. Try a search, and I imagine you'll come up with something good!

#25578 - 12/01/00 01:00 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
supaJack Offline

Loc: Houghton, Mi, USA
What do you call those deep fried lard balls? Are they even lard? I ate two of them (the one I squirted with lemon was better) and all my friends thought they were gross. Are they only served as tapas? I can't imagin that being a main course.

#25579 - 12/01/00 06:28 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Guapetona Offline

Hola Puna
El Bulli is north of Barcelona along the coast about 35 mins by car. You can also take a train up there.
There is a new website http://www.elbulli.com .
They offer a sampler menu for about 50 dollars where you get spoon sized tastes of their inventive dishes. It's cool because you never know what to expect next.
If your into trying new things then this could be something great for you.
However, if you like solid food then I don't know.
I'm vey adventurous so I loved it ))!

(Sorry! I just edited the URL to make it clickable)

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 12-01-2000).]

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2055 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments