Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#25560 - 11/13/00 01:33 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Thanks MM...I wasn't paying attention...

#25561 - 11/19/00 07:20 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
uphilldeb Offline

Loc: South Lake Tahoe, CA
K.

I don't know how it happened, but we hardly got to eat when we were in Madrid! Seemed like whenever we got through with some sight seeing adventure, it was late (which in Spain is normal), but everything was full up! Not a reservation could be made in any restaurant in our walking area.

Consequently, we only ate at Tapas Bars (yummy) and 1 restaurant. This one restaurant was right next door to Casa Patas (Flamenco place). It was absolutely disgusting. I swear, no matter how hungry you are - DO NOT eat at the restaurant next to Casa Patas.

We did eat incredible roast suckling pig in ChinChon. And we ate paella (sp?) in Barcelona to die for. I still can't believe we hardly ate anything more in Spain!!! I kept seeing things I wanted. Oh yeah, I did eat some WONDERFUL pastries at a little place. Divine!

Oh! Except for the castle in Cardona. OMG! Unbelievable food. And I swear, if I can find it, I will only buy olive oil from Spain from now on. It was so incredibly wonderful. Italian olive oil that I get here in the states does not compare. Plus, the olives in Spain? I'm sorry. The ones we ate were so wonderful - I have simply never eaten anything like them. Every time I go to the store now, I try some new brand in search of olives like those. I heard that only Portugal compares. But we didn't get to eat anything there either!!!

If anyone knows about any really wonderful Spanish olives I can get here that won't cost me a car payment, let me know!

Deb

#25562 - 11/19/00 11:17 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Deb:
About those olives. Check out an offering of the tiny and delicious arbequina olives, about a 6 1/2 pound container at a price that might surprise you, at La Tienda, www.tienda.com
Cantabene

#25563 - 11/19/00 11:26 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Also Deb, I see you live in California. I would think that if you went to nearly ANY latino market/grocery that they would carry a number of products from Spain, including olives. Mine, here, carries MANY varieties including my favorites, olives stuffed with anchovies! Mmmmm... They're $2.50 per 5¼ oz. (drained weight) can. Expensive, but for special events it's worth it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25564 - 11/20/00 06:58 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Just a question:

If you can't take chorizo (or whatever product you may think of) with you when you go to the US, how can you get them from that online store?.

Don't import laws regarding food apply to them?

Anyway, I'm glad you can get Spanish products there

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#25565 - 11/21/00 01:12 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hey, try the olives imported by La Española Meats, they have a website. Also, I too will only have olive oil from Spain, and since you live in California, Trader Joe's carries pure Spanish olive oil. It is difficult to find it in the grocery stores here. They seem to be all products of Italy, which by the way, did you know, that most olive oil that says "product of Italy" may only be "packaged" in Italy, and in fact the olives come from Spain, the largest producer of olives in Europe. Still, for me, it must say, "Product of Spain".

#25566 - 11/21/00 08:59 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Antonio:
You can get those items here because some firms make them with imported spices, herbs and native recipes, but with domestic meat.
And they can be excellent, not discernably different from those made in Spain.
Cantabene

#25567 - 11/21/00 10:56 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Trader Joe's is about the only place I have found where you can get Spanish olive oil that tastes like Spanish olive oil! I usually bring back some each year - but it's a nuisance to have to do so. The comments on Italian olive oil being made really in Spain is so true - a family friend who owns restaurants is Italian - married to a Spaniard - lived many many years in Argentina and cooks divinely - told me that story ..... but what do the Italians do to make the good olive oil so heavy and gunky tasting???

#25568 - 11/21/00 05:52 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
The import restrictions on food brought to the U.S. on your person (as opposed to buying on-line, etc.) seem to hinge on whether the food was 'factory-sealed'. You can stuff your suitcase full of chorizo as long as it's 'factory sealed'. You be the judge as to what that term actually means...

#25569 - 11/21/00 06:25 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I heard that in Italy and Greece they mix their olive oil (which is said to have worse quality than the Spanish) with Spanish olive oil and then they put "Spanish olive oil" in the label.

Therefore, I don't know if what you get there is the real Spanish olive oil. I hope so.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2080 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments