Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >
Topic Options
#25550 - 09/27/00 08:50 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
NJMaria, I found the Casa Duque restaurant through Google.com (as Antonio suggested - but you can use his link above too) on the Caminos de Arcipreste - Segovia website (in Spanish).

Casa Duque: C/ Cervantes, 12 - Telf. 921 430 537

Enjoy it for us too!!!! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25551 - 09/27/00 12:12 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
NJmaria Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Thank you very much for the information, Antonio and MadridMan. Now, I can't wait to be there!!! 21 days to go...

....NJmaria

P.S.
MadridMan, I saw your livecam and it says you were sick. Hope you feel better.

[This message has been edited by NJmaria (edited 09-27-2000).]

#25552 - 10/03/00 06:43 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
bbeddie:
54 dollars for four cigalas? Amazing. I haven't had one since 1960. They charged me 100 pesetas for it ($l.50 at the time) and I felt I was being ripped off. The market price was so much lower. I can understand inflation. But at this rate? Fantastic.
Cantabene

#25553 - 10/16/00 09:29 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
juliagulia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX USA
I recently went to Malagas in Austin Texas...it's not really Spanish food but the food is good. They had Sangria and calamares, but the waitor didn't know what paella was. It's located in downtown Austin on 4th street and the atmosphere is nice, but definately not typical Spanish. If anyone knows of any great Spanish restaurants in the Austin or Dallas area I would love to hear of them...thanks!

#25554 - 10/20/00 01:13 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I just stumbled on this thread. I love food, so this is right up my alley. I have to agree with MadridMan's initial comment on Mesón Candido. Of the four or five (not too many...) places I've had cochinillo, Candido is the pinnacle. If you go up the calle peatonal in Segovia, in la Plaza de Juan Bravo (I think...) there is a great little restaurant called Narizotas ("Big Nose's"). The sign out front advertises it as "un restaurante de un solo tenedor". The food is good, the prices were reasonable the last time I went, and ask for the "chef's surprise". We asked what it was and the camarero politely replied: "I can't tell you, it's a surprise." Good enough for me.

The last thing I want to add is Casa Manolo in Santiago de Compostela. I can't remember the address, and I know they've expanded since the last time I went there (sniff...1992), but this restaurant is INCREDIBLE...super cheap, and lots of great authentic gallego cuisine. All of the peregrinos know about it, and it's always full, which only adds to the ambience. MadridMan, do you know the address for Casa Manolo???

#25555 - 10/20/00 09:25 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
"IMHO there are two 'World Class' restaurants in Segovia that can make Botin's in Madrid look like a second class establishment:"

Actually, Botin IS a second class establishment, according to the official restaurant catetories. It is this lower classification that has enabled one to eat there comparatively inexpensively (compared to restaurants in the first category) through the years.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-20-2000).]

#25556 - 10/22/00 05:05 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
felisa410 Offline

Just returned from Madrid. The best food we had was at Casa Gallega, Plaza San Miquel,8. The food was well priced and very good. The sangria with pink wine was unbelievable. The chicken in garlic, potatoes with onions, and the artichokes were mouth watering. Go to Chocolateria on San Gines around the corner for churros and hot chocolate.

#25557 - 11/08/00 03:27 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
melaniebrenda Offline

regarding the eateries in segovia you were discussing a while back...

how much can i expect to pay for lunch or dinner at casa duque or meson de candido?
also, where are they located?

thanks!

#25558 - 11/09/00 11:01 AM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I'm not heavy into the links to the sites, but Meson Candido is a can't miss at the base of the aqueduct, on the city side to the left. As you go up the pedestrian street from the base of the aqueduct to the cathedral, you should pass Casa Duque on the left (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that second one!)

#25559 - 11/10/00 04:40 PM Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Casa Duque is at c/Cervantes, 12.
www.mesondecandido.es is the site for the Meson Candido, but the link to "carta" doesn't have anything, nor does it list prices.

I want to say we actually got in and out (I don't drink...so don't know about wine prices) for well under $30 USD...I'll check my receipts at home. We did have the cochinillo, which is the house speciality (of course). I haven't tried Casa Duque, but Eddie might have some info on that.

[sorry. I had to fix your URL - it was .es and not the more common .com]

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 11-12-2000).]

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments