MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#25503 - 07/06/00 11:27 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
ya estoy!!

i had no idea you are such a celebrity, MadridMan!! this will be fun! i will have to celebrate my birthday there at that party!! i sure hope i could go at that time...

please do inform everyone here! i'm sure it would be a great opportunity for people to meet and know each other...

hasta pronto..

#25504 - 08/05/00 10:32 AM Re: Ribera del Duero
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
NEWSFLASH: MADRIDMAN RESURRECTS MONTH-OLD "Ribera del Duero" THREAD!(News at eleven)

Last Wednesday, my ladyfriend and I had a nice, typically late-night dinner at home as part of our last-night-together-for-this-visit. My local wine-shop, which carries nearly 30 Spanish wines and adding more all the time, recommended a new arrival so I decided to try it.

It's called Rívola (1998), is on the Abadia Retuerta label, and is a Sardon de Duero wine (from the same region as the Ribera del Duero <river> wines). This $10 table wine from Castilla y Leon was surprisingly simple. My madrileña ladyfriend, who is MUCH more of a wine connoisseur/aficionado than I, said it was "fine" and she meant this as "average". Not bad, not great. We had tried a (shockingly cheap) $5 table wine from Spain a few days earlier and she said the two were about equal in quality. Okay. A table wine is a table wine. My ladyfriend said, "It's almost impossible to find a bad wine from Spain" and I believe her from LOTS of experience!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25505 - 08/05/00 03:11 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
"and what a fine thread of posts this is!" (in irish accent)

MadridMan, thanks for the tip on this new wine... i have to agree with your lady-friend, Spain has NO bad wines!

it looks like after my fiance and i are married we will be in spain for two weeks, and i will take her to the bodega where i have worked (in castilla-la mancha)... many table wines come from this area (la mancha), as well as añejos(aged in roble frances)...

MadridMan i'm missing my beloved Villanueva de los Infantes more now than ever... and ... (this feeling is a flavourful venom... a cold fire... a bitter-sweet.. and you know what i mean!)

¡viva la segunda patria!

#25506 - 09/19/00 08:05 AM Re: Ribera del Duero
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[THE RIBERA DEL DUERO THREAD LIVES ON!!!! ]

Eddie, you just returned from Spain. Do you recall, by name, a particularly good (and not TOO expensive) wine that you asked for again and again or did you stick to the always reliable "vino de la mesa" reds (like I usually do)?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25507 - 08/21/01 08:04 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
NEWSFLASH: JAIMEMIGUEL RESURRECTS YEAR-OLD "Ribera del Duero" THREAD

Madridman,
?como se llama la bodega que es muy cirque de usted? I hope I didn't butcher that too bad.

Thanks!

#25508 - 08/21/01 08:57 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

jamiemiguel, remember this is an English-language forum. wink For everyone, he said "What's the name of the wine store which is very close to you?" I assume he's asking about where I buy my Spanish wine.... It's called "Weiland's Gourmet/Imported Foods & Wine" and is on Indianola Drive, just north of North Broadway here in Columbus, Ohio. They carry about 20+ different Spanish wines, but their imported wine section is the best I've seen in Columbus.

What a coincidence you resurrect this thread NOW!!!! I'm sitting here with a glass of 1998 Prado Rey, Ribera del Duero ( See photo of bottle/glass here! ) NOW! It's pretty dry, estate bottled by Real Sitio De Ventosilla, SA.

I can't remember the price exactly, but might have been around $18?? I'm amazed at your timing, jaimemiguel (by the way, I'm still drinking the coffee you got for me last time).

Saludos, MadridMan

#25509 - 08/21/01 09:47 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
Madridman,
thanks, I have heard of that store but have never been there. I have not found a good selection in Columbus so far. I wanted to see what my local choices are so that I don't buy those on my next couple trips to paradise.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2990 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments