Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#25483 - 06/10/00 04:18 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
My family and friends enjoy "vino dulce de Málaga". We buy it when in Spain and it is bottled by several wineries. It is served cold in a small "shot-like" glass. The wine is brown like a raisin. "Málaga Larios" and "Málaga Virgen" are two bottles I have at the moment. But, there are others. They cost about 600 pesetas.

#25484 - 06/10/00 04:23 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
Sofia Offline

OK, so this recommendation is not a wine at all! It is a liquor.

In Sevilla, the tourist shops and the small grocery shops sell anisette in ceramic bottles that look like the Tower of Gold. For less than the price of a little statue of the Torre de Oro, you get a beautiful ceramic statue filled with anis. (2600 pesetas)

My sevillano friends always say it is cheaper to buy the anisette in a regular bottle, but I LOVE THE CERAMIC TOWER. You can only find this in Sevilla.

#25485 - 06/10/00 05:50 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
El Viejo Offline

Loc: Brooklyn Park Mn. USA
Sofia's reply about the Torre de Oro bottles only in Sevilla made me think of another question. I don't get to go to Spain very often (this is my first trip in 20 years) and so I bring a couple of bottles of my favorite liquor or wine home in my suitcase, and within a few months it is gone. For example, I used to drink something called Ponche "Soto", by Jose de Soto. I have no idea what that stuff really is, but it is great in a cup of coffee in the morning, and I can't find anyone in the states who even knows what it is.

Has anyone come up with ways of bringing more stuff home so that it lasts longer, without having to break my back with a heavy suitcase?

More importantly, does anyone know how to order lesser-known Spanish products directly from the US periodically without it costing an arm and a leg? I have found websites in the past that sell a few types of Spanish items, but haven't found anyplace that offers a wide enough selection. And in my neck of the woods, stores that advertize "Spanish" products are really selling Mexican products, which is not the same thing.

What would be great is a website where you could say, "Send me three sticks of chorizo, about half a pound of Jamon Serrano, some Manchego, 5 bottles of Ponche, ... Kind of an international grocery/liquor store. Ideas?

#25486 - 06/10/00 06:14 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Great Idea, El Viejo! Maybe I should start up this kind of business myself! Hehehee.. I've thought about it! If only I could find the appropriate local distributor.

I'm sure you're already familiar with http://www.tienda.com - I've used this company/website several times for Sidra, chorizo, salchichon, lomo, and a few other things. The jamon serrano is expensive, but so is it in Spain!

Not sure how I'm going to do it, but I expect to bring some stuff back from Spain from my next trip for people who have special requests, but only non-fragile, non-perishable, and legally packaged foods.

If you'd like some fresh chorizo español, there's a very good latino store here in my city and it's quite good, made in the Spanish way and in "link" form. I'd be happy to send some to you.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25487 - 06/10/00 08:18 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
Sofia Offline

Bring zip lock bags and load your bottles into the suitcase.

When the drinks are gone, it is time to return to Spain!

#25488 - 06/11/00 12:10 AM Re: Ribera del Duero
angie Offline

I know a place in California that sells chorizo,jamon,quesos, aceite... I don't know about wine, since I don't drink.
I've been ordering from them for the past 8 years; great service, good prices, never a problem.
Their name is La epañola meats, inc.
If you are interested in a catalog, you can call them @(310)539-0455, or email them @
spainfood@aol.com
They are in the process of building a website, but it isn't working yet.

#25489 - 06/11/00 08:54 PM Re: Ribera del Duero
Sofia Offline

Viva Espana
Andalucia
y el vino de Moguer.

[This message has been edited by Sofia (edited 07-11-2000).]

#25490 - 06/12/00 01:23 AM Re: Ribera del Duero
El Viejo Offline

Loc: Brooklyn Park Mn. USA
> Great Idea, El Viejo! Maybe I should start > up this kind of business myself! Hehehee.. > I've thought about it! If only I could
> find the appropriate local distributor.

Madridman, if you do, I'll be your first customer!! Seriously, it does seem like it could be a profitable venture for someone with some contacts. All the internet stores I have seen so far simply ship a limited number of the most commonly asked for products. A site which accepted orders for ANYTHING, then ran down to the local store, bought it, boxed it and shipped it, sounds like a gold mine to me...

Thanks for the pointer to http://www.tienda.com also. Since I'm on my way in a couple of days, I don't need to burden you with an order. When I get back, I may take you up on that chorizo from your local store!

Angie, thanks for the tip on spainfood@aol.com; I just sent for the catalog.

Sofia, sorry I can't help you with your liquor from Cuenca. Too bad there isn't some sort of company that could find and ship hard-to-find items like these... Madridman, are you listening?

One other thing that might be of interest to others; when I was in Chicago a while back I went to a restaurant called Ba-ba-re-bah (the spelling might be a bit off). It is just north of downtown in Evenston? in a residential neighborhood, and it serves very authentic, very Spanish foods. When you walk in, there is Jamon Serrano hanging everywhere, there are all kinds of tapas under glass at the bar. The food was great, and I was in heaven. I highly recommend it to anyone in the area, it's definitely worth the trip!

#25491 - 06/12/00 06:23 AM Re: Ribera del Duero
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It's time for me to get some 'licks' in: My favorite Cavas come from Cataluna (Cordoniu & Freixinet - now both with the same owner); I like Rioja Reserva and Vinos de Valdepenas are okay, too. But my favorite wines are from Pontevedra: Rosal (best), Albarino (superior) and Ribeiro (very good). Last year I met a wine merchant on a Talgo from Madrid to Santiago. As we traversed the Minho valley from Ourense to Tuy, he told us which wines came from each area, and how the quality improved as we travelled westward.

For an apertif I like a (cold) Manzanilla (from Sanlucar de Barrameda). And if you haven't tried Orujo (aguardiente) from the mountains of Cantabria (Orujo de Liebana) with coffee, you should do it the next time you are in that part of the world.

#25492 - 06/13/00 04:37 AM Re: Ribera del Duero
fnavarro Offline

Loc: Madrid
Ribera del Duero is one of the many registered wine producing regions in Spain (Denominacion de Origen). Until just a few years ago Rioja was almost the only Spanish wine known outside of Spain, fortunately this has changed and many other wines are starting to be known. Probably the 2nd most known these days is Ribera del Duero.

I have a friend in Barcelona who is a real connosieur(he goes to visit the wineyards, knows the famous someliers, etc).

He recomended to me the following Riberas del Duero, some
are well know vineyards, other are quite small producers, all of them are of the best quality, some can be expensive. Probably most can not be found outside in spain, and even in Spain, only in specialized shops.

Val Sotillo
Pago de Carraovejas.
Teofilo Reyes.
Hacienda Monasterio.
Finca Villacreces.
Carmelo Rodero.
Vega Sicilia.
Pesquera.
Vina Pedrosa.
Mataromera.

Good tasting!

Florencio

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2458 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments