Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25462 - 12/02/08 06:33 AM Cataluña - For new year and to live in
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Been a long time since I visited so hello to those that know me (us).

After a couple of years on the road PIM and I are hoping to return to Spain next year, more specifically somewhere near Barcelona. I would like some advice on where in the region we should concentrate our house searching. Whilst we like visiting cities, we are day by day becoming more and more campasino so would prefer not to live actually in the city, we also want to buy a place that will have a little land for a garden and maybe a few chickens etc. My job means I travel a lot so we would have to be in easy reach (say upto an hour from) of the main Barcelona airport, also I want to live withing walking distance to the sea.

Do you have any suggestions about where we should begin our searching? We have in general been considering Penedes but there is only so much you can learn from internet searching so we want to use the break around New Year to check out a town or two. We know it is the off season, but we figure we should see a place at its' quietest as well as later in the year.

Finally, what on earth should we do for new year? PIM's 'condition' means she probably won't be up to dance clubs and all night parties (and anyone who knows me will be grateful that I won't inflict my dancing on the good folk of Cataluña, my style is more Fat Boy Fat than Fat Boy Slim) which is just about all we find using Google. Any little towns with fun celebrations and good restaurants?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

M.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#25463 - 12/02/08 06:59 AM Re: Cataluña - For new year and to live in
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Que pasada ! I am so jealous of you guys that you're choosing to buy and settle in Espana !
I've been many times to Catalunya and have Catalan friends but am no expert so this is just off the cuff .. Maybe there are others much more qualified .
Sitges has a reputation for it's gay community ( very colourful ) but also it's a great mixed town ( but NOT a village ) . Great beaches . Some of the biggest footballers in Barcelona live near here . And my friend owns a property company ( She's half Catalana and half Italian ) in Sitges .
But small towns like Tossa del Mar could be a good deal though they are dead in winter .
Though without sea , Girona has to be an interesting thought ... Stunningly beautiful city but surrounded by countryside ... And I'm pretty sure it has an international airport ( ? ) .
Oh and I really like Tarragona ..
Good luck with you're house hunting .
Steve

#25464 - 12/02/08 07:49 AM Re: Cataluña - For new year and to live in
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Thanks. What are the contact details for your friend? We could well end up needing a local agent and it would be better to get one via recommendation than by random internet searching.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#25465 - 12/06/08 06:02 AM Re: Cataluña - For new year and to live in
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
http://www.confortplanet.com/

The site is in Spanish but I'm sure you're fine with that . I spoke to the owner , my friend Assumpta , and she would be pleased to try and help you .
Assumpta speaks very good English if you needed that .
When or if you contact the company ask to speak to Assumpta Alesso .. She's a good friend so you could mention my name .
Steve

#25466 - 12/06/08 09:15 PM Re: Cataluña - For new year and to live in
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...The_Keeper...gosh, you've got me thinking. If you find a place with a bit of land to grow veggies and keep chickens that is not too far from an airport plus it is within walking distance to the sea, please let me know. I imagine that such a place would be a rare find, especially on the Mediterranean coast. It sounds great though!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1488 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments