MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25423 - 10/28/08 02:16 PM Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I was wondering about some buildings where I would be able to get to the top for some photo op's.

I took some from the Hotel Atlantico last year but I was a guest that time. My guess is I could go there again but I'd like a few more options.

Thanks

#25424 - 10/28/08 02:29 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
A few cheaper options would be the 9th (top) floor of Corte Ingles in Callao . They have a cafe/restaurant up there with great views !
Also the Bar Granada in Tirso de Molina .. A really great place to have a drink and right on top of an appartment block .
Also consider taking the cable car from Arguelles ...2km to the top of Casa del Campo .. though make sure it's a calm ( weather ) day .It seems to be overlooked by many visitors to Madrid . Great views of the Palacio Real .
On a slightly more pricey option , go to Hotel Puerta de America in Avenida America ... Their 13th floor bar has great night views .
One step even higher in the price range and with a very stict door policy is "Midnight Rose " the bar/club at the top of the Hotel Reina Victoria in Plaza Santa Ana ... VERY expensive !

Steve

#25425 - 10/28/08 02:50 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Oh just realised the top floor bar at Hotel Reina Victoria is called "The Penthouse Bar and Terraza" ... "Midnight Rose " is the first floor bar ..... I've been to Midnight Rose but really do not have the wardrobe for the Penthouse Bar . HOWEVER , I do know somebody who works in their hospitality area .. I met her a few years ago ... So maybe i'll get dressed up one day hahaha ... Madrid , as you'll know , is not known for it's clubs/bars where you have to "look" good .
However , recently a few classey places have opened .. like the bars at Hotel Reina Victoria . Of course , The Ritz and The Wellington hotels are very upmarket .
THE place to be seen , so i've heard ,is "Ramses" ..A bar in Plaza de La Independencia .. Many times i've walked past on my way home to see Red carpets layed out and Ferraris , Lambourghinis etc.. parked right outside on the sidewalk .
I really want to go there .. Looks beautiful inside .
Steve

#25426 - 10/28/08 03:18 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Thank You Steve!

I'm looking forward to snapping some shots with my new camera. This is going to be a lot of fun.

#25427 - 10/28/08 10:15 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

This summer, I went with my friend to the Penthouse Bar on top of the Reina Victoria. It was a Monday night, and although we were not dressed like supermodels, we got in easily. There wasn't a cover charge (I don't know if there normally is or not) and it wasn't crowded at all. I suspect that since it was a weeknight in the summer we were able to enter with no problems, but perhaps you could try a similar tactic while you're there. We only had one drink while we were up there (and the drinks weren't cheap, but they certainly weren't the most expensive ones I've had either in Spain or the U.S.), but it is a gorgeous view of Plaza Santa Ana. It would be nice to see it during the day, too, so you could discern the buildings a little better.

As for the Corte Inglés on Gran Vía, I was on the top floor cafeteria for the first time this summer, too. I had no idea that the place even existed and then what a neat view there was up there.

There was a thread about this topic earlier this summer, so go here to read more and to see links to photos from other threads.

Hope you find some great views, and let us know where you end up!

#25428 - 10/29/08 05:19 AM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

La Historiadora .. now i'm definitely going to go up there ... But i remember going into the first floor bar ( with MM i think ) , and I ordered a whiskey on the rocks .. It cost 15 Euros as I remember !!
Last time I was in Pza Santa Ana we had the Davis Cup Tennis here ( USA vs Spain ) , and we saw the players arriving at Hotel Reina Victoria in official cars , flanked by unmarked police cars ... Definitely a swish hotel .. But you've really got my interest going now about the views of the plaza from up high !!
Steve

#25429 - 10/29/08 06:46 AM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Rodolfo ... I also just bought a new camera ( Nikon D60 ) .. So i've a renewed interest in photo opportunities too . With the snow now hitting the Sierras .. and particularly , the Sierra Guadarrama ... That would make for some beautiful photos ! Steve

#25430 - 10/29/08 04:15 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Thank you all!

You've given me so much to work with. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Steve..The D60 is awesome. My buddy just bought the d50. Nikon makes the best!

#25431 - 10/29/08 04:37 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Well Rodolfo , if there's a chance to grab a quick drink together when you're over it'd be nice . If not , then next time you're here in Madrid !
Steve

#25432 - 10/30/08 02:06 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Steve. Thank you very much for the invitation! We'd be honored to have a drink with you. We arrive on the 4th of December and leave the 11th. I don't know what our exact schedule is quite yet but as the date approaches I'll try to narrow down an evening, or afternoon, when we can get together. We are staying on Calle Arenal, between Sol and Opera. Any place you'd like would be fine with us. We don't mind walking or taking the Metro to where ever you choose. Thanks again! We really appreciate the offer.

#25433 - 10/30/08 08:17 PM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Ah, I'm ready for a trip back already! And, Christmas is so great in Madrid with all the lights. Steve, my friend and I had a glass of wine and tinto de verano for 10 euros total. Again, not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive as your drink was at the first floor bar! Perhaps the bartender was mistaken in the price or perhaps they lowered the prices for the summer, but we were surprised because we expected sky-high prices to accompany the sky-high views.

#25434 - 11/03/08 08:53 AM Re: Roof Top Location for Pictures in Madrid
blueterrier Offline

After 10 nights camping in the Picos de Europa we treated ourselves to a couple of nights at the Hotel on Plaza Santa Ana, the rooftop bar is delightful during the day but a bit too pretentious in the evening, I much prefer Tostado or Zapatos smile

Enjoy the view

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NBx07CTcRJo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1508 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments