MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25396 - 08/28/08 10:54 PM Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
The following is from the NY Daily News Travel section of August 24:

"A COMPLETION DATE IS IN SIGHT FOR GAUDI'S BARCELONA CHURCH"

"La Sagrada Familia" Barcelona's surreal, unfinished church that has slowly evolved, through generations of architects, since Antonio Gaudi began work on it in 1883, is finally getting a roof. Work is expected to conclude on the vaults of the transepts and apse by 2010, which means that the structure will be ready for its roof that year as well. The current prediction for overall completion is 2025, once the central tower, or Tower of Jesus, has been finished. Admission to the church, the original Gaudi-designed portions of which have been declared part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is 10 euros.
( www.sagradafamilia.org )

#25397 - 08/29/08 04:53 AM Re: Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Haha it's a beautiful building already .. And , actually , I wouldn't want to see a roof ... Although i guess that must have been in Antinio Gaudi's plans . I think they should leave it as it is ! Steve

#25398 - 08/29/08 07:19 AM Re: Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
what happen to the plan to build the underground railway very close to the Sagrada? if that goes ahead you could get your wish of no roof on Steve

#25399 - 08/29/08 07:26 AM Re: Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
A roof? I thought it already had a kind of roof. How will that affect the light streaming through those wonderfully colored "flowers" on the ceiling? Will they construct a kind of glass roof to allow natural light into the central nave?

I have to wonder what it'll be like once completed. Will there be Sunday Mass or Mass at other times? If it ONLY functions as a church, imagine how much money they'll be losing by not charging entry and elevator fees! They say all current income from such entry tickets goes towards construction costs but... I'm not so convinced of that.

How would it be if after the church has been completed and starts functioning as a church that they no longer allow people to walk around high-up in the steeples like many of us have already done? That'd be a shame.

Saludos, BarcelonaMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25400 - 08/29/08 03:49 PM Re: Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
My understanding of La Sangrada Familia is that it is an expiatory temple, build for the atonement of the people of the world, and is not a 'church' in the modern sense. There has been no formal worship service in it at any time, and may likely never be. It is not of any denomination, but is of all faiths.

Two excellent novels, both in English, Gaudi Key (translated from Spanish this summer [La Cave Gaudi, Spanish]) and The Shadow of The Wind, touch on this aspect of the temple. Sorry, I do not have the names of the authors handy. Both books incorporate the meanings of the symbols in Gaudi's work, and while fiction, offer good insights to the work.

A college professor told me last year of the completion date - and that the funds for the completion were to come from Japan.

At any rate, it is certainly an impressive and imposing structure. I hope to see it again!!

#25401 - 08/29/08 05:23 PM Re: Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
But I agree with MM ... The light is important in the church and a roof ( if it's solid ) would block that out ... Whilst I have every respect for Antonio Gaudi .. I would say leave Sagrada Familia as it is .. It's so beautiful already .Steve

#25402 - 09/09/08 12:40 PM Re: Barcelona--La Sagrada Familia
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
When I was visited and it was like five times during my week stay in Barcelona, it was surrounded by cranes that tower over the spires. I thought to myself when the cranes are complete gone from the skyline then I would really see the beauty of it.

If they do not have mass at it then is loses the purpose for why Gaudi designed it in the first place. But like everything from the pass the meaning and purpose will be changed by those who live in the present.

Bill

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2592 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments