Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25239 - 10/30/07 02:15 PM Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
edu_lucero Offline

Loc: barrio de lucero, madrid
Hi! Finally, the extension of the Prado has been completed after six years and it will be opened tomorrow. The design of the new building has been polemic but the inside looks amazing. I love it. I think the entrance will be free for the next four days.

Prado\'s extension

Edu wave

#25240 - 10/30/07 03:11 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That IS great news! How many times have I walked by this part of the museum in the last SIX YEARS only to see scaffolding, building materials, and large machinery. FINALLY IT'S FINISHED!!!

It's important to mention that while it's free for the next four days that you have to reserve your entry ahead of time. I'm not sure how you do that yet, however.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25241 - 10/30/07 03:57 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
edu_lucero Offline

Loc: barrio de lucero, madrid
I've just heard that to reserve the free entry you have to visit the museum's web or phone to 902 10 70 77. The museum will also be free from 18.00 to 20.00 (from Tuesdays to Saturdays) and on Sundays from 16.00 to 20.00

Edu wave

#25242 - 10/30/07 05:07 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I was looking forward for the completion of the extension, finally it is going to open.
I passed by the new Extension last week, all the area has been renovated. In my opinion it looks very nice.
I really rush to see the renovation of the beatyful "Casón del Buen Retiro", a building from 1639 wich is the only remaining part of the "Palacio del Buen Retiro", a royal palace destroyed by the Napoleonic troops. The building has wonderful frescos painted by the great Italian artist from Neapoli (by that time a Spanish colony) Luca Giordano.

#25243 - 11/02/07 01:35 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Just saw a report on Madrid Directo on TeleMadrid that today people were lined up 5 hours to enter the Prado Museum. Good grief! And THESE people had previously reserved their entry?? eek I'm guessing today, Friday, it was open totally to the public for free.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25244 - 11/02/07 02:13 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Will it be necessary to preorder tickets for a visit to The Prado on Friday, Feb 22, 2008, or is this just a temporary problem with the new portion being open.

Thanks.....

#25245 - 11/02/07 03:24 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

No. At least not unless they change the process. The recent reservations were only for these 4 days of the GRAND OPENING of the "new" part of the Prado Museum.

I went to the Prado some late-morning last spring and there was absolutely no line. We walked right in.

Saludos, MadridMan

#25246 - 11/03/07 09:10 AM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I hope it clears up by the week of November 15-25, when I'm there. I can't wait to see it....

#25247 - 11/03/07 05:44 PM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
There was a great article in the Wall Street Journal about the new extension. High marks were given for the collections and the building. Can't wait for the crowds to settle!

#25248 - 11/04/07 09:51 AM Re: Madrid: The extension of the Prado museum
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
indeed is great,and about time. today is the last day of free admission, then it should be better to go see it;less crowds.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2026 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments