MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25216 - 10/18/07 07:05 PM Madrid!!
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Yes, Madrid is with any doubt my favourite city. Ok, Valencia isn't too bad, but Madrid is great.
Here you can make of an ordinary working a day to remember.

Today was going to be for me just another one boring thursday like many others. I decided to do something special, after all this is Madrid, a place where you have lots of leisure posibilities.

Now we have in Madrid the "Festival de otoño" (autum theatre festival). I like theatre very much so I didn't want to miss a play by the oldest theatre company in Europe, La Comédie Française, playing "Le Misanthrope" of Molierè. I must admit that is was hard to me since my french is quite basic and I had to read the subtitles all the time. In any case the show was fantastic.

After the theatre I was hungry. I looked for some place to eat. Then I saw a bar called "Los Pinchitos" , in Calle Los Madrazo, near Sol, Metro Sevilla. It was crowded and that´s a good sign.
There were three middle age Spanish waiters, a bit fat and ugly, the clientele was also all Spanish. Lots of delicious tapas on the bars, very dirty floors and old fashioned decorating. This place has a promise!!, I thought.

I wasn't wrong. I ordered a "caña" and with it came a delicious small tapa or "pinchito" of "ensaladilla de cangrejo". Before I finished the caña I was given another pinchito. Well I had one more caña and two good young red wines from Ribera del Duero. I was offered several excellent quality free small tapas but enough to fulfill my hungry stomach. Wow! those mussels were really good.
Los Pinchitos is really a genuine Madrid bar, like they used to be 20 years ago.

As I had to catch a train I left soon, in Madrid that's 10:30 pm. I passed by the Hotel Urban, Puerta del Sol and Opera.
I saw lots of people having fun at the crowded bars, tourists everywhere taking photos, two french girls looking at their maps, a huge group of international executives speaking in English wearing smart dark suits with their names on small plates walking on the street, chinese people selling sandwiches, black africans selling pirate dvd's and street musicians.
I took the metro, there was a man playing jazz with a clarinet, he was really good, I gave him one euro. Beside me a group of mature Spanish ladies speaking fast and vividly about life.
In Príncipe Pío Train Station I saw a group of rappers dancing break dance.
Yet in the train I saw in front of me a very funny Spanish man in his late fourties with a big belly. He was what we call a "rocabily" man, a man who likes Rock'n Roll and wears clothes like Jhon Travolta. He was very excited sending sms messages and smothing his toupé.
Next to me there were two beautyful black girls laughing and speaking loudly with Dominican accent.
There was enough material for a sociology student to write his thesis.

Well, I can't call this a boring city, can you?

I have to go to bed now, tomorrow is a working day again.
Saludos

#25217 - 10/19/07 09:40 AM Re: Madrid!!
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
This story has made me really excited about my trip to Madrid in a few weeks. I can't wait. Anything special happening the last 3 weeks of November I should know about? Loved your story!
Karen

#25218 - 10/19/07 11:20 AM Re: Madrid!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Damian - you are making me horribly homesick for Madrid! Thanks for the lovely post sharing your Thursday .... thumbsup

#25219 - 10/20/07 01:10 AM Re: Madrid!!
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Thanks for reminding me to get going on planning my winter venture to Madrid!

There is another location of Los Pinchitos just off of Plaza Santa Cruz. They have great churros/porras and chocolate.

A good way to spend a weekend afternoon is drinking Champagne with friends in The Glass Bar on the ground floor of Hotel Urban. It is a bit expensive, but the Champagne is accompanied by sushi and white chocolate truffles!

#25220 - 10/20/07 06:37 AM Re: Madrid!!
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Thank you very much!
I just wanted to share my experience with MM members who I consider my friends.
More interesting stories than mine happen every day in Madrid. This is a very lively, busy, crazy, lovely and charming city.

Kipper, there is a good Jazz Festival in Madrid next November.

24th Festival de Jazz en Madrid

#25221 - 10/20/07 09:45 AM Re: Madrid!!
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Thanks Damien, great info.....

#25222 - 10/20/07 05:10 PM Re: Madrid!!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Damián, I loved reading your post! It brought me right into the city with you...you have a great way of describing things. Thanks for sharing your day with us. I wish I were there to have those simple pleasures. NY is a great city too, but the things you described are not to be found here, you have to be in Spain. smile

#25223 - 10/21/07 02:19 PM Re: Madrid!!
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
This is a very lively, busy, crazy, lovely and charming city.
I could not have said it better Damiàn, thanks

I guess I will always have Madrid.

#25224 - 10/24/07 01:51 PM Re: Madrid!!
lori Offline

Loc: NY
I will try to find out where the bar you mentioned is it sound's great!
I am arriving in Madris on the 11th for a few nights and am SO excited!!

#25225 - 10/25/07 06:05 AM Re: Madrid!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Damien writes:
Quote:
Kipper, there is a good Jazz Festival in Madrid next November.
That's November 2007, not 2008! cool

lori: the Jazz festival runs hasta 1 de diciembre so thhe 11th of November may be too early. Sorry if this brings you bad news!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1806 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments