Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#25079 - 05/29/07 04:42 PM Two Weeks in Navarra
Joe Markley Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I expect to spend the last week of June and the first week of July in Navarra. I lived in Pamplona thirty years ago and plan only to pass through the city (and pass up the festival). My interest is in the countryside and the villages. I will be backpacking, expect to travel by bus, hike and perhaps hitchhike (if that's advisable). My Spanish is rusty but it's coming back.

Any recommendations for valleys to visit (I'm thinking Salazar and Roncal, wondering about Bidasoa and Baztan), towns time has passed by, hikes not to be missed? Should I spend a day in Estella, where I've never been? Can I get the appropriate trail maps in Pamplona?

Thanks for your help,
Joe Markley
Florence, Massachusetts

#25080 - 05/30/07 04:37 PM Re: Two Weeks in Navarra
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Considering you are going to stay for two weeks, I would do the four valleys you mention. On the way to Bera de Bidasoa, don't forget to stop at the Señorio de Bértiz , an amazing garden and natural park

#25081 - 07/12/07 06:10 AM Re: Two Weeks in Navarra
Jordi Offline

Loc: Berlin
I visited Estella/Lizarra ages ago, and I liked it a lot. Neat little city with a nice market square, some Romanic churches not to be missed, and a pleasant atmosphere.

If you want to stay in an impressive place for a night, try the Leyre Monastry. A gorgeous Romanic cathedral next door, a wonderful view on the artificial embalse down in the valley, it's a sight.

If you are into architecture, the small octogonal chapel of Eunate about 25 km outside Pamplona in the direction to Talavera is a gem.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2022 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments