Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25016 - 04/25/07 03:39 PM Sevilla versus Barcelona
SpecialFX Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Didn't see any posts on this topic in the past few years, and seeing as my wife and I are hoping to head back to Spain in the fall, I thought I'd get a feel for the current sentiment on the MM boards.

The scenario: My wife and I are planning a short trip to Spain from the US in late-Sept/early-Oct this year (maybe 5 or 6 days), and we're trying to decide on a destination in Spain. She has never been to Sevilla, but fell in love with Barcelona on her last visit. I have never been to Barcelona, but fell in love with Sevilla during my first trip to Spain in spring '01.

We want this to be a fairly relaxing trip, so we're resigned to spending the whole time in just one or the other, and taking time to relax and explore the city. Any thoughts/votes/preferences?

Also, are there any newer developments, must-see places, etc. that we should weigh into our decision? (It's been about 5 years since either of us has been in Spain).

Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

#25017 - 04/25/07 05:30 PM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
In my opinion Sevilla is the most beautyful city in Spain. Barcelona is much bigger, richer, modern and cosmopolitan than Seville.

It's not easy to make a decission, but I consider Seville more romantic and more tipically Spanish.

If you go to Seville, 3 days will be enough time to visit the city. Then you could go to Córdoba and Cádiz, wich is regarded as the most ancient city still standing in western Europe (founded by Phoenicians about 1100 BC).
Oh! Don't forget to visit the Sherry Cellers.

#25018 - 04/27/07 08:13 PM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I been to both and stayed over a week in both places. Sevilla was to me a more relaxing and slower pace than Barcelona.

But I did full in love with Barcelona, especially it architecture. I think it is the best city in Spain to walk around in. I can remember with a big smile on my face, each morning I had to deicide where to have my coffee. At the local cafe? At the market La Boqueria? Down at the beach? Up in the mountains?

I did them all! cloud9

Bill

Bill

#25019 - 04/28/07 11:24 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
i tend to agree to me Sevilla beats Barcelona any day; not to say Barcelona is that bad;just comparing it with Sevilla.

stay around barrio santa cruz or Triana and there is nothing like that in Barcelona. Then if you like more modernistic outlook on cities Barcelona architecture will astound you,especially the l'exeimple quarter near Passeig de Graçia.

#25020 - 05/10/07 08:02 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I'm not a huge fan of Samantha Brown, but her "Passport to Europe" show is very popular and she does go to some wonderful places. On tonight's episode she will be in Sevilla, so maybe that will help with your decision!

You can catch her show tonight on the Travel Channel at 8:30 and 11:30 ET.

#25021 - 05/10/07 06:11 PM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I took some pictures last Semana Santa in Sevilla. May be they will help you to decide.

1 2
5 6 7
9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27

#25022 - 05/11/07 06:25 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
SpecialFX & wife aren't going to Spain during Semana Santa: they're going to be there late Sep to early Oct.

I've spent time in both cities. Sevilla is nice but if I must choose, I vote for Barcelona, like favorite sons Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali and Antonio Gaudi. Barcelona is a 'World Class' City; Sevilla, with its Mozarabe roots, is a beautiful City, but I don't think it's in the same League as Barcelona.

#25023 - 05/31/07 01:55 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
La Artista Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Since you're staying almost a week, I would recommend Barcelona because there is quite a bit more to see. Sevilla would be great to fit in a trip where you see all of Andalusia, and Barcelona is a bit more isolated.

#25024 - 06/01/07 05:05 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
sewell Offline

Loc: ipswich, england
I like and admire Barcelona, an elegant and stylish city full of treasures. It is ,though, Seville with which I fell in love and which calls me back time after time. In the first I am happy to be doing things. In the enchanted surroundings of the second I am happy just to be.

#25025 - 06/01/07 11:01 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Have spent quite a bit of time in both cities - and, like an earlier poster said, Barcelona is more modern and cosmopolitan than most cities - beautiful architecture and all else.

But for me, Sevilla wins. Sevilla feels far more "Spanish" and staying there will allow you to explore a bit more. Walking with history - romance - sheer artistic joy - Sevilla -

Part of your decision has got to be where your interests lie - if one of you is an architect - Gaudi will win. If one of you is a fashion conscious to-or-die shopper - again, Barcelona would be the choice.

And clap clap to whomever mentioned Cadiz -

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1992 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments