MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25026 - 06/02/07 05:36 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
No additional comment from SpecialFX on this topic??? confused FYI: SpecialFX is just now returning after a 6-year layoff from our message board. Wow! Welcome back!

There's really no comparing these two great cities because they're both totally distinctive unto themselves. Both have such wonderful things the other doesn't have.

I think if Martians came to earth tomorrow and visited both Seville and Barcelona they'd be equally impressed by each city.

Just remember, BARCELONA IS NOT SPAIN and SPAIN IS NOT BARCELONA. So if your hope it to visit "Real Spain" then Seville, in my opinion, should probably be your destination. If Barcelona was located in Idaho, USA or in China or in Australia or on the Fiji Islands it would be spectacular because it's an incredibly elegant, vibrant, architecturally eye-popping city. But I think a lot of people who come to Spain only visit Barcelona and think, "Wow! Spain is really incredible!" when the rest of Spain is NOTHING like Barcelona. That's not to say the rest of Spain is NOT incredible BECAUSE IT IS but it's totally distinctive to that which you find in Barcelona. Barcelona and Catalunya really could be a country or planet unto themselves, totally isolated and evolving within no-pass walls.

Seville, to me, more accurately represents "Real Spain" since Spain's moorish ancestors were from/lived-in/entered through Andalucía. Much of Spain's culture and history is linked to or based on Andalucía's culture.

Similar arguments can be made for the age-old rivalry between Madrid and Barcelona; "Which is better"? The answer is clear - at least to me. NEITHER is better and NEITHER is worse. They're totally, completely different and one cannot hold a candle to the other because they're like two planets in the same solar system.

My 2-euro cents on a Saturday morning. laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#25027 - 09/14/07 10:27 PM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I was just looking around the New York Times web site when I noticed this slide show on Sevilla. It has a few nice photographs of the city and different attractions there. And, you can click here for an article entitled "36 Hours in Seville." It'd be a tough choice between Barcelona and Sevilla, but after seeing those photos I'm ready to go back to Sevilla! laugh

#25028 - 03/28/08 11:49 AM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Only 7 months later the New York Times has yet another article about Sevilla! I think this will be in the Sunday edition of the New York Times (30 March), but in the meantime you can read the online version of "Under Andalusian Skies" here in their Travel Spring 2008 magazine. There are some great black-and-white photos accompanying the article. They're fashion photos, but they show some nice views of the city. cool

#25029 - 03/30/08 12:15 PM Re: Sevilla versus Barcelona
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I just thought I'd update you to let you know that the article is indeed in today's (30 March) New York Times. It's in the Style Magazine included with the newspaper. I picked one up this morning at the local Starbucks to read while drinking my coffee so I can pretend I am in sunny, warm Spain drinking a nice café con leche. cloud9

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments