MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2501 - 06/14/01 07:03 PM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Are two twin beds the same as asking for a "cama divorcial"? (or is that "cama de divorcio"?)

I thought I was a dope, until I realized that if all I've done to Spanish is use "matrimonial", then I've nothing to fear...

CaliBasco, writing from the land of "trokas, raites, un party, and watchear-ing el TV."

#2502 - 06/14/01 09:20 PM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Having just returned from my Spain trip (on Iberia, the nightmare I was hoping never to have again...), and muerta de suenyo but still on the MM board, let me say that a doble is 90% of the time going to be 2 beds. My creative solution is to get extra pillows and use one of them (they are loooong) to bridge the gap. In the Parador de Gijon, we had a QUEEN size bed w/ a view of the park/swans. Amazing. Antonio is right: newer hotels and paradores put the twin beds next to each other, and more and more hotels are using cama de matrimonio. The issue is SPACE. Isn't it amazing how even the most humble of Best Westerns or Red Roofs put TWO double beds in a room?

Bueno, a dormir!

#2503 - 06/14/01 11:03 PM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Our experience in Spain was similar...occasional double beds, mostly twins. I agree that the heat makes it nice to have a bed all to myself! You can always "visit" your partner in a twin if you're so inclined...and then slip out and into your own cool sheets.

And just as an aside, my little sister and I found ourselves in a cama de matrimonio in Portugal--in a tiny pension with barely the room for THAT bed!! It was cozy, especially as it sloped toward the center. She grinds her teeth and snores (don't tell her I told you all that!), so I would have done ANYTHING for TWO camas!

And when she and I traveled on to a youth hostel on Ile de Batz, in Brittany (France), we found ourselves in the "twin beds pushed together" situation--but instead of just TWO twins, there were about 10 of them, all in a row, pushed together!! We found ourselves next to three friendly Italian GUYS!! Needless to say, big sis got all protective and made little sis sleep on the end, with me between her and Gianni! It was like a commune...and quite an eye-opener for two American girls in their 20s on a big European trip! (And yes, Gianni and his friends were incredibly handsome, charming, etc....and perfect gentlemen, darn it!) rolleyes

Pleasant dreams, all--
Tara smile

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: taravb ]

#2504 - 06/16/01 08:45 AM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Madridman,

Although "cama matrimonial" can be gramatically correct in Spanish, we don't use it (at least in Spain). So, if you want to make a reservation in a hotel/hostal in Spain do say "cama de matrimonio".

BTW, Sofía, I would say "zumo de naranja" and "estantería de libros". "zumo" is far more used in Spain than "jugo".

#2505 - 06/16/01 09:11 AM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hokay!

Now... assuming I want a double bed... "Just in case"... do I say;

"cama de matrimonio en caso de que consiga afortunado, por favor."

Of course my pick up line should be;

"Cuál es una muchacha que mira regordeta que hace en un lugar agradable como esto?"

Wolf (Who's still trying to figure out why he gets his face slapped so often.)

#2506 - 04/15/02 09:08 PM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
ChicaGuay Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Well, at this Hostal Alegria I had a nice room with a Cama de Matrimonio and another twin (Uni-Personal)bed for my son, and sometimes when I was walking the hall and the maid was cleaning other rooms I peeked in and saw other rooms had this same style also. wink

#2507 - 04/15/02 10:19 PM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
ChicaGuay, any hotel that's named "Alegria" should have at least some (maybe mostly!) camas de matrimonio, don't you think?

Tara smile

#2508 - 04/17/02 02:13 PM Re: Double bed vs. Twin bed
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hey, ChicaGuay: Why wait until the maid is cleaning to sneak a peek? I usually just knock and ask for a look! It's a great way to meet people! I even found out that all the other rooms in the joint had a disco ball and "Saturday Night Fever multi-colored floor"! They gave me the bland room because I was obviously from out of town. Boy were they embarrassed when my sleuthing exposed this preferential treatment! cool

Also, I will often sit down at a table in a restaurant next to others who don't know me. Sometimes I get thrown out, but at least I get a bite or two "down the hatch" before the Guardia Civil arrives. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2318 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments