Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24887 - 02/21/07 10:10 AM Madrid Roadworks?
andy3004 Offline

Loc: Scotland
I am looking forward to showing my wife the Madrid that i love. Are there any major works going on in Madrid just now? Scaffolding or anything else not so good on the eye?

#24888 - 02/21/07 01:24 PM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Nope. Madrid's totally clean and free of any public works projects. wink wink wink wink <wink wink. nudge nudge>

But seriously folks, (bu dum dum!) the whole city looks like a scene out of The Terminator, the futuristic part where "the machines" rule the land.

There's the whole river/M-30 project, then there's the related project around the Puerta de San Vicente (next to Principe Pio), then there's the never ending Puerta del Sol project, plus at least one of the buildings surrounding SOL is always covered in scaffolding, Plaza de Santo Domingo is actually non-existant due to the underground parking garage going in there, there's a construction wall surrounding the front portion of Atocha train station, the final section of Calle Arenal (closest to Opera) is being pedestrianized, and several different buildings every month are under scaffolding.

The above are the big ones which come to my mind. Hmmm.. Did I miss many? Anyone?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24889 - 02/22/07 08:50 AM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
andy3004 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Thanks MadridMan for that!(i think!).We'll bring our hard hats then!

#24890 - 02/22/07 04:38 PM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
hey its a small discomfort now but bringing Madrid to the 21 Century. its been a catch up since 1982 folks;and I lived there in the 70's ripe conditions...

#24891 - 05/29/07 10:46 AM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
edu_lucero Offline

Loc: barrio de lucero, madrid
Hi everybody!

This is the first time I post here. The M-30 project is coming to the end, although we'll have to wait to see the Manzanares seems a proper river, all the tunnels have been finished (some of them have had important floods eek eek ) and the roadworks advance.

I hope you enjoy this link of the new Avenida de Portugal (I can go to the doctor from home by walk clap ):

Av. Portugal

Edu wave

#24892 - 05/29/07 02:27 PM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

edu_lucero,

HELLO! wave And welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board! I'm your nearby neighbor!

The Avenida de Portugal project is closeby too and I walked down it - from top to bottom/river - just 2 weekends ago. It's quite nice! Thanks for posting the link to the description about it in English for those who are interested.

I have a question about that project if you might know the answer. Along the walk I noticed a few car-sized ramps (as shown at the bottom of the photo I've posted below) as well as stairs going down. They almost appear to be parking garage access ramps/stairs. Are they? Or are they "escape" routes or access points to the tunnels for emergency vehicles/personnel?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24893 - 05/29/07 03:06 PM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
edu_lucero Offline

Loc: barrio de lucero, madrid
Thanks MadridMan!

Then we are neighbours, it's nice! Where do you live exactly? I live in the 8th floor of a grey flat next to N-V and there is a post office just below it.

I'm not sure at all but I'd say they are access ramps to the parking. I don't think they are escape routes for emergency personnel because a separated tunnel has been built for them below the main tunnel.

Anyway, I don't know what are those blue "circles" (I don't know how to call them) in the middle of the avenue. When I went, they were empty inside and there were a bricked wall in their possibly entrance. In my opinion, they are pedestrian access to the parking because I saw few stairs at both sides of the walk.

Edu wave

#24894 - 05/30/07 05:41 AM Re: Madrid Roadworks?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

edu_lucero, my closest metro station is LUCERO but I'm nearly as close to the ALTO DE EXTREMADURA station.

Regarding "the blue circles" along the Avenida de Portugal, I'd assumed those were "silos" or air vents but if you say they're closed then I don't know what they could be. Maybe simply "art"??

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2064 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments