Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#24868 - 02/15/07 04:53 PM Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
tflanag1 Offline

My girlfriend and I are planning on spending a month this summer in Spain studying Spanish. We want to stay in a city that will be exciting to live in for a month, which will provide us with a great opportunity to learn the language, and which will allow us great travel opportunities on weekends. So far in my preliminary research, I am interested in Salamanca and Granada. So which town or other town should we pick?

I would appreciate all opinions/advice from any of you familiar with Spain, as we have never visited. Also, if any of you are familiar with specific language programs in Spain, I'd love to hear from you!

#24869 - 02/15/07 08:56 PM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
nevado Offline

Both of your choices are good but I think I'd go for Granada over Salamanca for a few reasons: the beach is within an hour and the city has so much to offer. Having said that, it's going to be HOT and the Spanish might be difficult to understand at first (but don't let that put you off)! Salamanca is great as well but I would be bored after a month. You will be in classes all day so perhaps there's enough to see with weekend trip, etc. You will probably run into a higher percentage of international students in Salamanca. It will be hot as well, but probably not as hot as in Granada.
To avoid the heat, I personally would choose either Cadiz (capital) or San Sebastian because they are both unique and have lovely beaches.

#24870 - 02/16/07 03:37 AM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
tflanag1, I've been semi-following a blog by a college woman from the University of Portland (Oregon, USA) who's living in Granada, studying abroad for 5-months. (she's already been there one month)

You can read about her experience @ http://spainaventura.blogspot.com/ . Most of the blog is not so much about the studying aspect in Granada as it is the living aspect but it's interesting, insightful, and entertaining with lots of photos.

I found her one day when checking my website stats because she'd placed a link to MadridMan.com on her blog. Now I'm kind of stalking her BLOG! wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24871 - 02/16/07 05:54 AM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I have been long ago studying but to choose a city overall Granada wins over Salamanca.
However, San Sebastian well thats the winner for me.Great beaches and great nightlife,nicer weather and they speak Spanish too.

#24872 - 02/16/07 11:15 AM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I would choose Granada over Salamanca. You might also consider Santiago de Compostela.

#24873 - 02/16/07 03:31 PM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
by the way MadridMan thanks for sharing the blog on that girl trip; awesome pictures!! glad she is enjoying Spain and happy she also notice the French are not rude,and she enjoy Versailles!!! my now town!!!

#24874 - 02/17/07 07:27 AM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Universidad International Menendez Pelayo in Santander (Cantabria) has some month-long Spanish study programs. I like its location (Avda. de los Castros) and the ambiance.

Weekend travel opportunities (if you can leave playa Sardinero): Bilbao and/or San Sebastian, Santillana del mar, Liebana & Picos de Europa.

#24875 - 02/17/07 10:14 AM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
How did we get two identical threads started by the same person?

I'm going to combine the contents of the other thread into this one below:

(below was posted by pedmar on 02-16-2007 09:25 PM )

we seems to be on track from the other site.You know my answer will pick Granada over Salamanca but prefer Madrid then San Sebastian.
==

(below post by tflanag1 on 02-16-2007 10:14 PM)

Pedmar,

Forgive me for misunderstanding, but could you please clarify? You would pick Granada over Salamanca, but you would rate Madrid #1 and San Sebastian #2?

Thank you for your advice!
==

(below posted by pedmar on 02-16-2007 10:33 PM)

yes ranking for me would be
1)Madrid
2)San Sebastian
3) Granada
4) Salamanca
sorry could not help you on study courses. But inquire at the Embassy of your country in Madrid for referrals.
==

(below posted by tflanag1 on 02-16-2007 11:47 PM)

Pedmar,

I'm interested in your choices. Why do you choose Madrid and San Sebastian as your top picks?
==

(below posted by pedmar on 02-17-2007 02:20 PM)

well its more a personal choice; i once lived in Madrid and visit every year like a pelerinage;;;;
plenty of places to see and have fun;the food is a concentration of all the types from Spain. The barrios (neighborhoods) like Quintana off after the bullfightign arena to feel the real folks way of life.The ones to party hardy after a tough course like Chueca,latina, Centro,and Moncloa.
then you have San Sebastian, beautiful beach town but at a bigger scale,with maginicent views over the mont igueldo and mont Urgull to the ocean and city below. the great ambiance at old town (casco antiguo) and Reyes Catolicos plus the opportunity to cross into France at Hendaye.

hope it helps you narrowed it down: smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24876 - 02/25/07 10:30 AM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
Ok, so I have a biased opinion, but I'd pick Salamanca. I seem to be in a minority here. I studied there many years ago, and liked it so much I stayed. I go back every year. I think it is perfect for a 1st time trip. 1. the spanish might be easier to understand (Granda has a southern accent to it) 2. the city is largest enough w/o being overwhelming 3. there are many schools to choose from (check out Don Quijote http://www.dq-salamanca.com/ Salminter www.salminter.com or Colegio Unamuno www.colegiounamuno.es to start).

As far as side trips from Salamanca try numerous some small towns for the real feel of the land: La Alberca/Peña de Francia, Avila, Bejar, Candelario. Also, cities like Avila and Zamaora are not to far off. Portugal is only about an hours drive (my favorite town is Miranda do Douro over looking the river). Notice I didn't mention the over crowded tourist spots like the beach (even tho I love the beach and you will find me on one of them near Santander this summer).

Good luck, and have fun. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself regardless of where you go.

Karen

#24877 - 03/01/07 06:43 PM Re: Which city should I pick for a month-long language program?
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I suggest Valencia, but not in August, that month the city is empty.
The city founded by the romans 2145 years ago by the Mediterranean sea, is the third Spanish city and has a lot of interesting museums, art galleries and sites to visit. From beatyful gothic buildings to the superb architecture of Santiago Calatrava.
The university is one of the most important Spanish universities.
Public transports are cheap and convinient.
The city is also well known for its great night life and for being the hometown of the paella.
In addition it will be the Host City of the 32nd America's Cup next June, for that reason the Marina of Valencia has been renewed.

Here you have some useful webs:
http://centrosasociados.cervantes.es/CAcreditados2.asp
http://eee.cervantes.es/
www.turisvalencia.es
www.valenciaguias.com/en
www.cac.es
www.valencia.es
www.americascup.com
www.ivam.es
www.cult.gva.es/mbav/
http://mnceramica.mcu.es/
www.lesarts.com/index;i.htm
www.palaudevalencia.com/home.php?lang=c
www.cibm-valencia.com
http://teatres.gva.es/inicio.php?i=c
www.castillosnet.org/valencia/V-LUG-001A1.shtml
www.uv.es/~webuv/ingles/index.htm
www.albufera.com/portal
www.lapaella.net
www.guiasplayas.com/playas_VALENCIA.cfm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1803 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments