Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24754 - 11/17/06 10:52 PM Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
evestrauss Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I just read a post on the Fodor's board that suggests that due to infrastructure probems and work being done at the Puert del Sol, one should not go there on NYE. Is this true? We are staying in an apartment just off this area (on Calle Tetuan) and planned to be in the square for the chiming of the clock and the eating of the grapes. Do we need an alternate plan? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? We are a family of four (two 40 somethings and two daugters 14 and 17).

Thanks,
Eve

#24755 - 11/20/06 05:44 AM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
shabba53 Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
If your apartment is right there, you won't have to worry as much about the infrastructure problems. It may not be quite as pretty, but it should still be ok. If that doesn't work, you may find that the mob has moved up to the Plaza Mayor.

#24756 - 11/30/06 04:03 AM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've been looking for information about this topic the last few days because I know a lot of people plan to eat their 12-grapes with the 12 bells at midnight on New Years Eve.

What SHOULD help a lot is that now Calle Arenal - the street going west from Puerta del Sol - is now completely pedestrian almost as far as Plaza de Opera. See photo below...

Also, they say that Calle Montera will ALSO be completely pedestrianized by the holidays. This should help ease-the-squeeze around the public works projects IN the Puerta del Sol.

But just so you know, there's a good chance you won't actually hear the 12-chimes of the clock at midnight due to the din of the crowd. We knew it was midnight when they illuminated the "FELIZ 2005" sign on the clock tower AND THEN we gobbled down the 12-grapes all at once. Then we kissed and hugged dozens of total strangers around us. It was so much fun to be with SO many people.

Enjoy! I'll/We'll update this thread when we know more of the logistics of the Puerta del Sol for New Years Eve. thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24757 - 11/30/06 04:40 PM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
evestrauss Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Thanks,

I'll keep checking back for info.

Eve

#24758 - 11/30/06 04:56 PM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
There's absolutely no reason to avoid Puerta del Sol. It's in much, much better shape than it was last year at this time (and that didn't stop the party). The work on Montera looked like it was almost finished when I walked down it a few days ago. The rest of the works are fenced off in a smaller space on the east side.

#24759 - 12/07/06 02:42 PM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
WOW you might be enjoying the fireworks and the CAMPANADAS with grapes.. is absolutely fantastic

#24760 - 12/10/06 01:52 PM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
SRedw Offline

Yes, there are a lot of people at Sol, but if it's something that you want to do, I say GO FOR IT and enjoy the atmosphere. It's not a bad as people say it is.

I don't go because I don't do crowds, but many of my friends go every year and they love it. I just prefer to have a small gathering at home with a few close friends to ring in the new year. This year I am in the US and I will be celebrating at home.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL,

Shawn

#24761 - 12/11/06 02:59 AM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree with you, SRedw. I too will have the small, family gathering at home once again this year but am glad I "DID PUERTA DEL SOL" a few years ago to know what it's like.

Saludos, MadridMan wave

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24762 - 12/22/06 03:40 PM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
i am glad they finally making arenal pedestrian!!! very sentimental...

montera pedestrian? i guess they are finally getting rid of the prostis....?

#24763 - 12/23/06 03:48 AM Re: Madrid: New Year's Eve at Puerta del Sol?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Only the souhernmost part of Montera is pedestrian now, from the corner of Aduana street to the Puerta del Sol. Maybe when the works of the Cercanias station that is being built under Montera are finished, we can see a full pedestrian street. And the prostis are still there, business as usual.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1757 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments