Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24648 - 07/24/06 06:53 PM Construction in Madrid
shabba53 Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
Hey all. New member here. I've been to Madrid multiple times, including living there for approximatey 2 years. My question is this: My wife and I are taking a good friend of ours over there in late September and I'm worried about how much work will be in progress at that time. Two years ago, when I took my parents over, many of the buildings had scaffolding up, and even the cathedral in Toledo was undergoing almost total interior renovation.

I'm aware of the subway closings (which won't hamper us at all), as well as the underground construction around Sol. I've also seen the statue in the Plaza Mayor seems to be under scaffolding presently. Does anyone have any idea as to the level of renovations that will be underway when we get there? Are some of the current projects slated to be done by then?

Thanks!

#24649 - 06/27/07 09:19 AM Re: Construction in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
FYI: The entire PLAZA portion of Plaza Isabel Segundo (a.k.a. Plaza de Opera) is completely under re-construction and surrounded by fencing. frown

Anyone else have updates to popular plazas or buildings undergoing renovation/construction?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24650 - 06/27/07 02:41 PM Re: Construction in Madrid
edu_lucero Offline

Loc: barrio de lucero, madrid
There are so many projects in progress in Madrid that it seems the hole city is under construction."The city will be marvellous when it will be finished", Danny DeVito said when he visited Madrid time ago.

We have the famous CTBA where there will be four skyscrapers of 200-250 metres high (the tallest buildings of Spain) and a new exhibition centre that seems a huge manchego cheese laugh

Cuatro Torres Business Arena
Madrid International Convention Centre

Another project is "La Caja Mágica" (which will be part of the Olympic Games if Madrid achieves to host them) in Usera district.

La Caja Mágica

The old slaughterhouse is being refurbished to celebrate cultural activities.

Matadero de Madrid (spanish)

There are two more projects that haven't still begun: the refurbishment of the Prado-Recoletos area and the construction of a huge obelisk in the middle of Plaza Castilla, although I don't know if the last one is going to be carried out.

And I'm sure I've forgotten more... eek

Edu wave

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1919 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments