Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24634 - 06/28/06 05:50 PM Cordoba or Granada as base?
orange_cat Offline

Thanks to this forum, our last trip to the Vigo area was most memorable!

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Andalusia region this Nov. and we have a couple of questions:

1. For day trips to Jaen, Baena and Baeza (I am a big Spanish olive oil fan), would Cordoba or Granada be a better base?

2. Is it possible to cover both Cadiz and Sanlucar de Barrameda on the same day if we were to stay in Jerez de la Frontera.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

#24635 - 06/29/06 08:17 AM Re: Cordoba or Granada as base?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
You will probably read numerous rebuttals to this but no, I don't think you can enjoy both Cadiz and Sanlucar in one day. Sort of like doing Madrid and Sevilla both in 3-4 days. Unless you are really pressed for time, give each area a day or two and enjoy them. Each is unique ....

now, bring on the rebuttals guys ~

Just did a search for Cadiz -
http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

You might want to do one for Sanlucar - I'm not the only "I love Sanlucar" fan on the board wink

#24636 - 06/29/06 05:27 PM Re: Cordoba or Granada as base?
orange_cat Offline

Thanks for your input, Puna.

After some further reading, I think we will spend one day each in Cadiz and Sanlucar. The main reason being we can spend a few hours vising Donana from Sanlucar.

#24637 - 07/02/06 09:32 AM Re: Cordoba or Granada as base?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The Donana is mostly west of the rio Guadalquivir so you may have to go north before you can cross the river. Personally, I would choose a place accessible to both, like Jerez de la frontera. You can make it to Cadiz from there in an hour and to Sanlucar de Barrameda in even less. Have some cold Manzanilla (de baril) in Sanlucar but have a designated driver: that stuff can make one very woozy! cool

Just west of the Donana is el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio and further south, a Golf Resort, the name of which escapes me now.
BTW
A cousin told us that she has seen people in 4X4's driving across the riverbed at low tide. I wouldn't try it! rolleyes

#24638 - 07/03/06 10:58 AM Re: Cordoba or Granada as base?
orange_cat Offline

Eddie, we will indeed be staying at Jerez de la Frontera when we visit Cadiz, Sanlucar de Barrameda, as well as Arcos de la Frontera. That will be four nights in Jerez. I have not heard of el Santuario De la Virgen del Rocio before, but I will read up on that. Thanks. And thanks again for those tips on Vigo... umm... two years ago?

We decided on using Cordoba as base for day trips to Jaen, Baena and Baeza. The hotel we will be staying in Cordoba is much closer to the bus station than the one in Granada.

Very much looking forward to it...

Does anyone know if it rains much in Andalusia in early November?

#24639 - 07/22/06 03:39 PM Re: Cordoba or Granada as base?
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
I personally think you will like Cordoba very well as a base, it is easier to move around in while you are there and it has a very "liveable" feel to it - and rain should not be much of an issue compared to November in Granada.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1636 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments