Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24527 - 03/21/06 04:53 PM What to do in Barcelona??
elsabet Offline

Loc: USA
Yes I know it's a crime...But I only have 1 complete day and night to explore Barcelona. I have a half day being that I have to get to the airport at 4pm. What are the must sees and dos that I need to expierience in this time. I promise I'll go back again someday and see the rest:)

#24528 - 03/21/06 06:28 PM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
First, I'd suggest conducting a SEARCH of this forum catgegory using keyword BARCELONA. I'm certain you'll find a LOAD of information previouslyu posted. Also, you could check out a Barcelona guide book from the public library and copy the section for Barcelona to take with you.

A half-day will only allow you time to walk up/down Las Ramblas and through the Gothic Quarter - and that's about it. If you do have an extra hour here or there you could take the "hop on hop off" Bus Turistic (double-decker bus) and ride the loop(s). The tickets are 19 Euros and can be bought in the tourist office in/UNDER the southeast corner of the Placa de Catalunya and you can get the bus right there too.

Have fun! Too bad it's so quick. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24529 - 03/23/06 12:17 PM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
Barcelona apartments Offline

One month ago I tryed to show all Barcelona to two cousins who came only during 4 hours.

I recommend you that first you go to the Sagrada Familia using the Metro.
(30 minutes)

Later, quickly you can directly go to the Paseo de Gracia (Metro: line 3, green).
(15 minutes)

And...
Route In this order:

Paseo de Gracia -> Gaudi's houses: La Pedrera and Casa Batlló -> Plaza de Catalunya -> Portal del Angel -> La Catedral Gótica (Claustro)-> Palau de la Música -> Montcada Medieval Street -> Santa María del Mar -> Barcelona Harbour -> Cristobal Colon Statue -> Walking Las Ramblas -> La plaza Real -> Mercado de La Boquería -> Plaza del Pi (Gothic Quartet) -> Plaza de Catalunya.
(3 hours)

And... Then you go from Plaza Catalunya to Plaza de Espanya (Metro L3, green) -> Magic Fountain (thursday-saturday between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
(1 hour)

The end.

#24530 - 03/24/06 05:12 AM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
That's a great route, Barcelona apartments!! Do you hire the roller skates at El Prat when you arrive? wink Anybody who has a full day in the city can even have half a day on the beach to recover! :hdspin:

Joking apart, it will certainly give a taste of this beautiful city and ensure a return visit.

#24531 - 03/24/06 03:56 PM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
1 - Sagrada Familia, I would recommend to go inside but skip going to the top. You can walk or take the elevator but you are press for time. Give yourself 1/2 to study the outside statues and both sides of the cathedral. Make sure Passion Façade side of the cathedral. The door the entrance is fantastic.

2 – From Sagrada to the train to Casa Mila. You will have to wait on line to pay to enter, hopefully it will be a short one. Go straight to the roof see the beautiful chimneys then walk down see the Modernism furniture inside the apartments.

3 – Walk from Casa Mila to at Plaça de Catalunya, should take 20 – 25 minutes and it will give you an idea what the Eixample district is like. Also you will pass the Island of Discord and will see some more Modernism buildings.

3 – From Plaça de Catalunya, walk down the Ramblus in the afternoon and check out the street performers.

4 – Half way of the Ramblus stop at the La Boqueria market. The market is very colorful and energetic place.

5 - From market walk over the Barcelona’s cathedral which it 10-15 mintues away and it it give you an idea what the old city is like.

Walk fast like a New Yorker and you will do ok! smile

Bill

#24532 - 03/26/06 09:10 PM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
eltorero Offline

Some people will tell you to completely avoid "touristy" stuff, but I would definitely consider paying a visit to Las Ramblas, the major street full of shops and stuff. It's a lot of fun.

#24533 - 03/27/06 09:29 AM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm sure some would complain that it's too touristy, but twice when I've had several hours alone to kill in Barcelona I've taken the hop-on hop-off tourist bus. You hear an explanation of what's there to see, the different routes go all over, you can pick and choose what you want to see, and getting around is easy - once you have your ticket you can get on and off at any of their stops, which are in all the right places. You can always ask questions at the stops, and they're very helpful. It just feels easier to me than trying to navigate the city when I don't know it well and won't be there long enough to feel comfortable enough with the public transportation. I also like being above ground, seeing the sights! Some day I'll spend more time in Barcelona (it's been a passing-through spot for me) as it's really beautiful. In the meantime the tourist bus has worked well for me.

#24534 - 03/31/06 06:55 AM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
angeles1 Offline

Barcelona - must see:
- let you lose yourself in the Gothic quarter and Borne area
- Paseo de Gracia: shopping street but also important buildings like Gaudi's Casa Batllo and Casa Mila
- Sagrada Familia
- Barcelona View's from Tibidabo or from Montjuic
- Paseo marítimo de la Barceloneta.

#24535 - 04/04/06 11:44 AM Re: What to do in Barcelona??
elsabet Offline

Loc: USA
Thank you for all of this wonderful information. I can't wait to explore it all once I get there. Good thing that I can walk for miles and miles as long as I have something to look at. I love travelling, and I love Spain so I know I will be back to explore Barcelona someday even more. Thanks again for all of your wonderful suggestions. I'll let you know in July how everything went

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1736 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments