Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24492 - 03/17/06 02:01 AM 3-day weekend trips from Granada while studying abroad!
La Artista Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I'll be studying abroad in Granada next Spring and since I have no classes on Fridays, I was wondering if I could get some good ideas for 3-day weekend trips to the lesser-known cities/areas around Granada. Something a cheap/quick train or bus ride away would be great, I'd love to get out every few weeks to another city or town!

#24493 - 03/19/06 07:27 AM Re: 3-day weekend trips from Granada while studying abroad!
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
You might enjoy a weekend in the Las Alpujarras region of the Sierra Nevada. It is only about 30-50 miles from Granada and there is frequent bus service. The town of Lanjaron is famous for its mineral water and there are good view from the castle. The villages of Pampaneira, Bubion and Capileira in the high Alpujarra (1,000 to 1,400 meters) are about 5 miles apart and hiking is very popular. The highest village of all Spain is Trevelez which is famous for the production of Jamon Serrano.

#24494 - 03/23/06 08:04 AM Re: 3-day weekend trips from Granada while studying abroad!
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
I really enjoy Alhama de Granada, it just seems like such a forgotten little town but with nice views, and a pleasant quarter to stroll through. In the spring their thermal spa is open, and though it caters to an older crowd, you can dip into the river and feel the hot springs seeping from the cracks, and enter the spa to see beautiful moorish arches (the spa dates back to Roman times!) In the springtime as well, on the drive towards Alhama, I saw some of the most extensive and beautiful fields I'd ever come across in Andalucia...carpeted with poppies and other wildflowers, unforgettable!

#24495 - 03/23/06 01:57 PM Re: 3-day weekend trips from Granada while studying abroad!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
A second vote for the Alpujarras area and, if I"m not mistaken, Alhama de Granada is where the last caliph of Granada lived a good part of the time.

Someone help me out here so I don't give incorrect history ....

You might also want to read "Driving Over Lemons" - a bit outdated (1990's I think) but hysterical and with some great insights into the Alpurjarras area ...

If I can find the link on this from a few years ago, I'll post it.

First link - one more to find -

http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001177

#24496 - 03/23/06 06:51 PM Re: 3-day weekend trips from Granada while studying abroad!
La Artista Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the ideas. I'd really like to get a less touristy experience to remember. It's always the small communities that really capture the essence of the culture.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2771 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments