Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24265 - 09/06/05 01:38 AM Up on the roof
lakey Offline

Loc: New York
I must confess. I am a view addict.

After walking around a place,I love to find some high spot in the town to check out the big picture. Now I discovered in my research that some towns
have obvious high points - like the Giralda in Sevilla - but
also have rooftops on hotels where you can catch a great view.
I read about one rooftop across the river in Cordoba. We never got to it. Too much to explore and the Alcazar was great for The View.
One website I discovered on Sevilla
http://www.exploreseville.com/51things.htm
mentioned a rooftop on the Hotel Doña Maria. I somehow managed to wedge in a quick trip. Nope. Not that great.

However

There must be other great rooftops out there, waiting to be found.
Anyone remember a really great or favorite rooftop view to catch a nice view of some lovely Spanish city?

#24266 - 09/06/05 06:12 AM Re: Up on the roof
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
There must be other great rooftops out there, waiting to be found.
Anyone remember a really great or favorite rooftop view to catch a nice view of some lovely Spanish city?
Try to find a Hotel with a rooftop pool. I was at the Hotel Santa Maria in el Puerto de Santa Maria (Cadiz) on 16 July (la Virgen de Carmen). The hotel was across a parking lot from the river and I got a 'birds eye' view of a colorful parade of boats they have to celebrate the event

That's also the date peak tourist season rates go into effect all over Spain

#24267 - 09/06/05 11:09 AM Re: Up on the roof
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I looked over the list of 57 things you should do in Sevilla and there was no mention to visit Museo de Bellas Artes. But feeding pigeons is #4.

Now that is excitment for you. Skip a chance to view the great art found in this museum, the chapel wing is stunning, but feed the rats with wings which is more exciting! confused

Bill

#24268 - 09/06/05 11:24 AM Re: Up on the roof
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahahaa.... You gave me a laugh with #4, Bill from NYC. Maybe the "Seville Sewer Tour" is in the Top10 as well. hehehe...

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#24269 - 09/06/05 04:37 PM Re: Up on the roof
lakey Offline

Loc: New York
Lord, Bill didn't mean to put down such cultural high spots as the Museo de Bellas Artes, Giralda, Alcazar, etc. but those are in most guidebooks.
These are not 10 top things. They are simple, sometimes silly stuff to do. I like museums,usually check all and sundry. I break for El Greco,Velazquez,Miró, Picasso, Goya,El Bosco,etc. Some places I have to be dragged out. But also off-beat things for variety.Otherwise you get museum back and museum burnout.

There are small non-museum moments I treasure from several trips to Spain. Checking out kids playing a game,local markets or exploring tiny narrow streets. Or checking out an odd collection in someone's restaurant or bar. Finding a statue dedicated to an old flamenco singer. Or the rooftop breakfast at our hotel.
Actually my favorite pigeon moment came when one of the guards in the Alhambra area tried to move out an elderly man
away from the Carlos Quinto steps. He was (a) muching away at a sandwich on the steps and (b) also feeding the pigeons (c) not adding distinction to a great momument of Spanish culture. He just kept stringing the guard along with fancy patter and excuses until he and the pigeons finishing eating. Amazing finesse.

Wandering through off-beat Sevilla,we found the Torre de Oro and then found the Torre de Plata nearby. Found the 3 Roman columns, found the Venta where Becquer wrote his poems,checked out galleries, small plazas.etc.Checked out maps of South America in the Archivo de las Indias. We did not feed any birds. Not with a native son of NYC as a companion.Nunca jamas..Never did get around to buying candy at the convent or the animal market on Sunday. Next time.

Now I know they have those tours in Paris. . .and then there's the Roman run off system under the Museu d'Historia de la Ciutat in Barcelona ... wink ?

Volverán las oscuras golondrinas
en tu balcón sus nidos a colgar. . . rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1743 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments