Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24230 - 08/25/05 12:18 PM Alhambra and Granada
lakey Offline

Loc: New York
We stayed at the Parador,quite beautiful. We reserved tickets 2 months ahead. Four months ahead on Parador.
We read up many cautionaries about when to pick up reserved tickets, when to hit the line in the morning, when to visit the Alhambra etc,etc. We can only recount our experience.
Oversaturated and confused we decided on 11 am for the Alahmbra Palace (in August) to split the difference. This turned out fine. We arrived the afternoon before and did the night visit, the earliest time possible.Picked up reserved night tickets at 4 pm quickly.
The entrada (entrance area) for the night visit was behind the Carlos Quinto. That afternoon, we also explored the Jardines (gardens) ,very hot beyond the shade line. Tickets were simple for Jardines.
That afternoon,the ticket lady was informing a French tourist that Palace tickets were sold out until one week from our day. Also she advised that Easter, holidays went fast:many months ahead. I can't emphasize enough to do the reserved tickets on line or BBBV banks.
In Granada, everyone was totally focused on getting us
to the taquilla (ticket office). When we asked other questions, like how far ahead we should stand in entrada line to the
Palace, what about Generalife etc, they would go back to taquilla advice.
If we had to do it all over again. Well,we would skip the Parador, get a hotel close to the taquilla. We spotted 3 near
the taquilla: Hotel Auxiliares, Hotel Washington Irivng, Hotel Guadalupe.And we would reserve for Cunini, a local
restaurant.
This, of course, is just location, not quality, comfort, price. Auxiliares seemed to offcer a 7 am rolls and coffee breakfast on their bar menu. We stopped there for a water
and coolness break after the Jardines.
When you get to the ticket office pick up area, be careful to get in the reservas line. Everyone had a computer print out. At
7:45 am, the line to get non-reserved tickets was waaaay
out and down the block. We waited 15 minutes for "reservas"
Line was rather daunting. so daunting that I double checked with the guards present (they have uniforms and pistols, but are very nice) about the correct split of lines. It was not immediately clear where it ended,there seemed to be a blend with the monumental long, long, long line. And many did not get
tickets that day. We could hear in "tickets out" anouncement later in the day. And the line was still huge. Not worth it.
Ask "reservas?", wave your computer print out. You will be guided. We then went back and had a nice foritfying breakfast at the Parador. After all we didn't have to beat a fast path, our reserved time was 11 am.
Then a lovely but hot August ramble around the Alcazar fortress area. beautiful views, especially of the hill across, the Albaycin. Each area is a definite in-and-out policy Once you're in area Alcazar, that's where you stay until you leave. Ditto Generalife area. But between the 2, once you leave, nobody cares where you go. The only important thing is to respect the Palace appointment and check out other areas in any order that day before 8 pm.
Way up the hill near the taquilla are snack shops. Nearby (fortress area) are machines with chips and water and aseos (toilets). Also the Parador has a terraza area for lunches, not so cheap.
Even the 11 am time in Palace was crowded but not oppressive. You want romance and the place to yourselve GO AT NIGHT. Even at night the lion's fountain area was glimmering with flash. At night,we simply turned in the opposite direction from the crowd and had the reflecting pool area to ourselves. 3 rooms, no one else......
Packed small flashlights and binoculars, which added. Actually the place is lit up enough. This was to pick up details on the ceilings. One room, the one with the melted cake icing ceiling, we plonked down on the floor to check it out.
Well, that how the guard found us. She pointed out very nicely that the small fountain reflected the ceiling. rolleyes
Out at Carlos Quinto there seemed to be an occasional tussle with people who wanted to eat sandwiches and sodas. That seems to be a no-no. Guards would zip over and send you on.
One older man, maybe local, maybe not, was eating and feeding the pigeons. He argued long enough so that he finished his sandwich.
I will never forget the sound of water in that one small room in the Palace. Just the two of us. One floor level shell fountain. We sat on the floor and listened. The moldings really look different with the change of light at night. Walked all over the open area with the reflecting pool. Everywhere. No flashing cameras. No chatter, Just quiet. The next day we enjoyed the contrast, being able to spot the color. Getting into the Alhambra a piece of work, but we enjoyed our 5 hour visit.

#24231 - 08/25/05 02:40 PM Re: Alhambra and Granada
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Thank you so much for your comments! They are so much appreciated. It sounds like you had a lovely time visiting the Alhambra - I can hardly wait!

Special thanks for pointing out how the lines work. It sort of seems confusing to me now. I do have my tickets reserved (and computer printout secured safely at home!), but still hope all goes well. And hopefully by the end of September the weather won't be quite so hot and the crowds not quite so big!

Again, thank you!

#24232 - 08/25/05 04:30 PM Re: Alhambra and Granada
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Lakey

You seem to have a great trip!

Bill

#24233 - 08/31/05 08:12 AM Re: Alhambra and Granada
HollyB Offline

Loc: Utah, USA
Lakey,
Wow...I need to find about more from you about Alhambra. We are from Utah and going to Spain in May with two other couples. We're clueless about most things and I'm trying to read and study so we can be prepared.

What is the best site to get tickets for Alhambra? I guess that's where I need to start. I'll have to read and re-read you posting so I can really get an idea of what to expect.

I also was that you went to Seville. If we take the bus tour (where you can hop on/off), will we be able to see alot?

Any help, additional info you can give me will really help.

#24234 - 08/31/05 08:45 AM Re: Alhambra and Granada
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
What is the best site to get tickets for Alhambra? I guess that's where I need to start. I'll have to read and re-read you posting so I can really get an idea of what to expect.

I also was that you went to Seville. If we take the bus tour (where you can hop on/off), will we be able to see alot?

Any help, additional info you can give me will really help.
There is a long discussion about the Alhambra/Sevilla at this travel website and I posted some of my long winded opinions, http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/821606885/m/637101452

My hotel booked my reservation for my day/night visits to the Alhambra. It was one of the services they provided. Did I included that information my hotel review?

I spent five days in Sevilla, and it is a walking city were most of what you want to see in walking distance of each other. In Granada to reach the Alhambra you probably will want to take a bus. I skipped the bus but enjoyed the steep walk up and down. And I do mean it is a steep walk up to see the Alhambra.

Suggest you pickup Rick Steves guide book for Spain 2005 and will give you ideas what to see, when to see it, the cost when you visit Sevilla and Granada. I used it as my guidebook for my February/March visit in Spain and found it very helpful.

Also check your local PBS station, Rick Steves did a show on Sevilla. Also on my local PBS Station, in New York City, there is a travel program called Globetrekker and they have a episode on Southern Spain which included a visit to the Alhambra. After I saw the episode it got me interested in visiting the Spain and the Alhambra.

Bill

#24235 - 08/31/05 11:41 AM Re: Alhambra and Granada
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
Bill's advice is great (as he has actually been there!), but you can also book your own tickets to the Alhambra through BBVA at www.alhambratickets.com. That's what I've done, but I'm not actually staying in Granada.

Enjoy!

#24236 - 09/06/05 01:16 AM Re: Alhambra and Granada
lakey Offline

Bill is right on. In our case,I couldn't get the Parador to reserve us tickets, so I went online to get the tickets.Chele, thanks for the reference. That is The Website for Tickets.There is only one.
The Rick Steves book (I am not a relative or employee) goes step by step
Once you are on the internet site, it goes quickly. Be very sure to print the page that has the transaction number. I needlessly printed a bunch of other pages and brought them all. rolleyes
However, once I presented the correct page we got our 2 tickets. And bring a passport when you pick up the tickets.

Whoever bought the tickets on-line (charged it on the charge card) must show an ID: a passport.

June- July-August is full stop boogie on crowds in places like Granada.
So earlier and later months will be an improvement. Unless...there's some sort of fantastic local fiesta.

Sevilla really is a walking,exploring,discovering town. My diligent esposo packed a compass. That's his thing. I just looked for the Giralda (when it was in view) and set up walks to and from various plazas or important buildings.Take the river cruise too. Bus might give you a snapshot,but it's the rambling
that seems to delight.
There are windy narrow streets in some neighborhoods where no cars can go. But you can walk them.

My hotel was on one of them. Had breakfast on the rooftop.

If you like acoustic guitar,singing,dancing, check out Casa de la Memoria in Sevilla, a rare wonderful place where I'd stand in line again. The most closeup view I've ever
had of the interactions in a flamenco group-singers,dancer, guitarist.

#24237 - 09/06/05 01:22 AM Re: Alhambra and Granada
lakey Offline

Also this website was fun: 57 Things to do in Sevilla
http://www.exploreseville.com/51things.htm

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments