Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#24118 - 03/22/06 08:06 PM Re: Places often neglected...
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
1) Llanes (Asturias, near Cantabria) The most amazing cliff walk. Also drive west and see Playa de las Cuevas, and walk along the coast there. 2) Cuenca--maybe not unknown, but certainly disinctively memorable for the hanging houses and the midieval nooks and crannies to be explored. 3)Santillana del Mar and Comillas, and mountain villages southeast from there, like Bårcena Major, in Cantabria.

#24119 - 03/23/06 05:52 AM Re: Places often neglected...
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You've all mentioned some great places. Here are two more I think are worth a visit. They are terrific Medieval towns:

1) Albarracín in Teruel. About 25kms from the capital.

2) Morella in the hills of Castellón.

Both are practically etched in the rocks of the hills and ravines surrounding them.

#24120 - 03/23/06 08:48 AM Re: Places often neglected...
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I notice Aidance mentioned
Quote:
Santillana del Mar and Comillas
. Well it so happens that I've made my first website for some friends who rent out a house near Comillas. I won't go into too much detail here as I appreciate MadridMan's policy on keeping advertising by stealth down to a minimum. Just to let you know it's in my profile; if MadridMan is in a good mood he may allow me a link just this once here comillas hse Obviously I've got a lot to learn on the website making process, but I'm still proud of my first attempt!! thumbsup

#24121 - 03/23/06 09:56 AM Re: Places often neglected...
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
filbert

I love Comillas and spent a happy summer holiday with the family nearby in Pando and Ruilloba. Amazing beaches and countryside.

Jo

#24122 - 03/23/06 10:43 AM Re: Places often neglected...
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Hiya Jo-Anne! I think the best part of that area is the beaches (although the countryside is great too). Even on a warm summer day you can find a beach with not too many people on it. Plus (and I hope I'm not tempting fate here) there seems to be no crime. In the villages people leave their front-doors unlocked and everyone seems to have time to speak to you. Despite the tourism...it still feels an unspoilt area.

#24123 - 04/26/06 02:59 AM Re: Places often neglected...
CJA Offline

Loc: California
Since people here have mentioned Galicia, and I'm leaving for Spain this summer and plan on traveling to Galicia... Does anyone have any recommendations on places to visit/things to see/hostels,etc...??

#24124 - 05/05/06 11:26 PM Re: Places often neglected...
La Profa Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I agree with all of you who have traveled to beautiful northern Spain. It is definitely the road less traveled, and in my opinion it is a hidden jewel. Galicia is so lush and green, it definitely looked a little more like home for this Wisconsin girl. In Galicia I have been to La Coruña where you must check out El Castillo de San Antón, an old fortress turned museum. Another must is the tower of Hercules with it´s roman ruins underneath. Of course the views of the ocean are beautiful and there are lots of churches, fountains, parks, plazas, etc. The tapas are wonderful, and I also suggest the white wine Ribeiro and anything that comes from the ocean (pescado y mariscos). For anyone going to Galicia, Santiago de Compostela is a must. The cathedral is INCREDIBLE. Also try some Queimada (made of Orujo and set on fire), and if you drink enough of it cloud9

Other great places in northern Spain: Ponferrada, Astorga, Gijón, Oviedo, las cuevas de Valporquero & los picos de Europa. It can be hard to get to many of the places in los picos de Europa, but it is worth the effort. The views are BREATHTAKING. The north is without a doubt Spain’s best kept secret. hearts

#24125 - 05/06/06 02:23 AM Re: Places often neglected...
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
La Profa--Wow! You got married in the cathedral in Leon! What an amazing experience for you and your guests. The first time I entered that cathedral, tears immediately came to my eyes, from the profound beauty of the stained glass windows. You must have the most spectacular wedding pictures!

#24126 - 05/09/06 05:45 PM Re: Places often neglected...
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
we have made our plans for the summer and we are heading north to Comillas for a few days in August...so, Jo-Anne, If you have any suggestions for restaurants, cannot-miss places...please let me know!

Although we have been to that area in the past, it has been years...so we are ready to start exploring again!

Also, we are off for a week in Mundaka, supposedly a surfing wonderland...( although we don't surf rolleyes ) very near Bilbao, so deibid...I am hoping you can give me some good out-of -the -way places to explore too! As well as the best restaurants in Bilbao and the surrounding area that we should not miss!

I am counting the days til we leave for Spain...and for my classes to be over! clap

gracias, Amigos...

#24127 - 08/25/06 04:36 AM Re: Places often neglected...
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Some great suggustions, our car will be arrving shortly :jump: and I'm looking forward to exploring. Anyways any suggustions for areas around Madrid that are less well known but worth visiting. I've done the usual stuff (Toledo Segovia etc)and I'd like to explore new areas.

Of course as I discover I'll post here as well.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments