Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#24045 - 06/25/05 08:47 PM Madrid: Cool, cool spots?
lakey Offline

Loc: New York
I am piggybacking on the plea of another poster who is reeling
under the delights of Madrid July weather. I haven't been to Madrid in many years, but yes I remember the heat. That's why I will come with hat on head and 30 pdf clothing.

What are some nice cool, cool spots for midday/afternoon? The Retiro was mentioned. We all know about the big museums. There were references to Casa Del Campo and shopping Corte Ingles.
I wonder about air-conditioned tour buses. Would that
hop on-hop off bus work?
I KNOW Madrid goes 35 plus C (95 plusF) this time of year.
But if you know some nice eateries, terrazas,places that won't
be too packed (and therefore sweaty) please let us know. Sometimes old buildings with thick walls can be refreshing.Sometimes they turn into old stone ovens. It depends.
So I calling out to those in the know. I will not be travelling with a happy shopper. Where are your 1-4 hideouts? What are the coolest of cool, cool spots?
Any daytrips work? Is the Escorial cool?

#24046 - 07/03/05 09:54 AM Re: Madrid: Cool, cool spots?
nordica Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi! cool

I was hoping someone would answer you smile but judging from the lack of replies, there isn't really any cool places in Madrid? My local weather chanel showed a stunning 38c yesterday at 8.00 pm!!!
When are you going to madrid? Im coming home the 20 of july, and will be happy to share my heat-wave experience with you, when I get home, if you are going after the 20 of july...
There is still a lot of good advice in the earlier thread ' Madrid HOT HOT HOT '

Regards Nordica

#24047 - 07/06/05 09:24 PM Re: Madrid: Cool, cool spots?
lakey Offline

Thanks Nordica. I will appreciate hearing about your July experience I really don't expect Supreme Air Conditioned Comfort, just occasional escapes from the rays cool

I've been gleaning ideas here and there including Hot Hot Hot thread. Too bad no one knew "large cool old stone buildings" Sometimes those old churches,etc. work. Other times it's oven time. Some restaurants are better ventilated or have high ceilings, thick walls, face away from strong sunlight at certain time of day, have errazas,etc.

I've been pondering about an imaginary restaurant built into a cool old wine cellar.Aaah! rolleyes
Does this exist?

#24048 - 07/07/05 02:38 PM Re: Madrid: Cool, cool spots?
Rubia Offline

OK, I'll bite. Yes the Madrid Vision buses are airconditioned and are a good way to see the city. Even citing one the upperdeck you get a pretty nice breeze as you tour the city. Also try going to a pool. I always go to the one by Sainz de Beranda, it is the Madrid 86 pool. They have an indoor and an outdoor pool and it can be pretty refreshing. The parks are also a good idea. El Palacio Real is very cool and a nice place to vist. Also try Plaza Mayor for sitting at a taraza because one side is always in the shade and generally cool. Well, that's really all I can think of for now aside from the things you have already mentioned. Good luck! I will be there on the 22nd, but will be heading to the beach in Torrevieja a few days after I arrive so I won't have to brave the heat for too long.

#24049 - 07/20/05 02:29 PM Re: Madrid: Cool, cool spots?
nordica Offline

Loc: Denmark
Just got back from my Madrid-vacation, and yes it's hot in Madrid.. In the daytime the temperature was touching 38-40 degrees and in the middle of the night it was up to 32 degrees!
But in my opninion it's not as bad as it sounds, because it's a very dry heat...

I could imagine working in Madrid in the summer would be a nightmare, but 'just' being a tourist you will do just fine..
Almost all of the shops, restaurants, museuems etc. had air-condition, so Madrid is full of cool places laugh

Do your sightseeing on foot in the morning, and when the heat really kicks in, just find a place with air condition..
I found casa de campo (I visited the amusement park), to be cooler than the center of Madrid...

Have a nice vacation!

#24050 - 07/21/05 10:22 PM Re: Madrid: Cool, cool spots?
lakey Offline

Thanks so much for your responses
More air conditioning than I thought.
I had figured on buses,hotels,museums and stores
I never know how easy or likely it is to AC
(much) older buildings.
The weather here has been in the 90s, so I
guess it's good practice laugh
Gearing up to hit a trail to the Brillante, since the
hotel is on Atocha.
We will be diligently searching nice
terrazas and other cool cool spots come
2 in the afternoon. cool
Guess I'll go and check the gumbo pot. My favorite:
duck and sausage gumbo. That's one dish
I won't run into in Madrid.
Laissez le bon temps roulez.
There must be
a way of saying this in Spanish.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2086 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments