Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23963 - 06/04/05 04:51 PM Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
MadridGirl273 Offline

I am finally in Madrid after a long flight and quite a few tears. It has been a lonely couple of days as I came by myself and have two Spanish roommates who I am gradually beginning to understand. Thank you to anyone who helped me with suggestions and advice before my arrival - it has made these first few days much easier.

I had one more question regarding meeting people in the city. My university class does not begin until July 4th and I would very much like to meet other students-jovenes before then. My roommates are both very busy and I would hate nothing more than to become a bother to them. Does anyone have suggestions or know of good places to meet other students or people in general? Again, gracias por todo!

#23964 - 06/05/05 03:07 AM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid

#23965 - 06/05/05 05:40 PM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi smile !

You shouldn't worry about that. It won't be long until you start making friends. For example, in our group of friends we're from different places (Spain, Belgium, France, Argentina, England). We've got a friend from Waterloo who came here 8 months ago. At first he was a little bit worried about Spain, but then he met us in a pub and he's now a really good fellow smile .

There are lots of places where you can meet young people in Madrid. Tribunal, Malasaña, and the Suburbs (Alcorcón, Leganés, etc). During the summer time, it'll be easier since there are more activities, parties, and we've got a little more spare time to go out and socialize.

#23966 - 06/07/05 03:08 PM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
MadridGirl,

First, let me say that I've been there as far as the lonely first days go. The first time I went to Madrid I didn't know a soul, and I was planning on being there for four months. There were definitely some tears, but eventually things got better.

One suggestion I have would be to place an "ad" for an intercambio (conversation exchange--part of the time spent speaking Spanish for your benefit, part of the time spent speaking English for the other person's beneift) on the Personals or Language section of this Madridman bulletin boards. This would be a great way to meet someone Spanish.

Also, look on the Madridman bulletin boards for info about an upcoming Madridman party...though I've never been in Spain at the right time for one, they seem like great gatherings that include many of the Spaniards who post on these boards.

Best of luck to you!

#23967 - 06/08/05 01:36 PM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Try the Expat Americans in Madrid meet up group. The website is www.meetup.com and then search for americans in madrid. Their next meeting is Thursday, June 16, 7:00 PM at O'Neills, Príncipe, 12
Madrid 34-1-521-2030

That's me assuming you are american....they have other expat groups as well.

#23968 - 06/08/05 02:42 PM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There's the long " Madrid July 16: It\'s PARTY time! " thread about a get together in Madrid on July 16th but I realize this is AFTER your classes start. But check in the "Classifieds & Personals" forum category for these get together announcements. And of course, in that same forum category, you'll find details about the January 23 "Party with MadridMan in Madrid".

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#23969 - 06/09/05 03:15 AM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Hi MadridGirl,

You know, take it easy. There's no need to rush things, once you settle down and start going to your classes everything will fall into place.

I'm sure you feel a bit lost, but take these few days and do some sight seeing. Madrid is very big, and you might want to take advantage of the free time that you have now and go strolling.

Once you meet people and start going out, you'll probably come to the end of your visit and you haven't seen half of the stuff you wanted to because you partied too much.

I'm not saying that it's the best thing to do, but sometimes I've enjoyed visiting a museum on my own, much more than going in a group, because I had a chance to see it at my own pace, stopping at the portraits I really wanted and dedicating the time I thought necessary to each painting.

When you go as a group your usually spending more time fooling around and laughing than really learning about what you are seeing.

Anyways, don't worry because in a couple of days you'll probably meet some very interesting people in your new class, it's just around the corner, hang in there!!!

#23970 - 06/10/05 09:08 AM Re: Madrid: Places to meet other jovenes?
MadridGirl273 Offline

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I am actually adjusting really well and not calling the U.S. every day, as I was when I arrived.

I spent most of my four days touring the city, and took a long, long break on the fifth because I was so tired. There is so much to see here and I have been so touched by how empathetic the people here seem to be!

Also, thank you for the suggestion regarding intercambios. I have attended two so far - both very different - and have been able to meet the most interesting people at both. I am also looking forward to the Madridman meetup smile

In any case, thank you for your advice and community. It has made this adjustment much easier and my confidence in being here much stronger!

Un besito,
Lindsey

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1658 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments