Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23926 - 05/18/05 06:56 PM Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
which means it sucks. Went the other day and I guess I should have read up on it more before going. Built in the early part of 1940īs I believe. Iītīs made to resemble four different regions of spain in one spanish "village". I thought that it actually was a local village that were now shops. Basically its like an outdoor mall. 7.50 to get in and walk around a fake village. What pissed me off about this tourist trap is that there are tons of real villages with actual local villagers all over Spain, and they are free to get into. (Barcelona)

#23927 - 05/19/05 01:04 AM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
James Michener praised it in his book "Iberia" and Hemingway condemned it as a fake. I visited it 20 years ago and I was unimpressed. I can't imagine it has improved.

#23928 - 05/19/05 09:05 AM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Sorry guys, but I like it. Sure you can travel all over Spain and visit the villages where they are meant to be. But tell me - what percentage of tourists to Spain have the time and means to do that? For that matter, how many Spaniards have traveled all over Spain to visit these villages? A higher percentage than the tourists, surely, but not as many as you may believe.

I believe the Poble Espanyol serves a purpose, and it's a good one. For those people who cannot visit all of Spain, they can see excellent, authentic examples of the differing architecture from the different regions. I find it fascinating to see the differences. I love the atmosphere of the little plazas. I have traveled through many parts of Spain (and lived there for many years) and find it quite authentic - in parts, and I believe the parts are very well done. Nowhere will you find a pueblo like this, because it's a mixture of pueblos. But then, that was the idea!

I believe the key attraction is the architecture. The shops are interesting in that they are all of "artesania," but they're expensive, and I'm not a shopper anyway. The restaurants are mediocre by Spanish standards. But the architecture is stunning, and a testament to the many Spanish people who have developed and built it over hundreds, if not thousands, of years.

A tourist attraction does not have to be written off just because it's a tourist attraction.

Poble Espanyol

#23929 - 05/19/05 12:11 PM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
Diana,

I would agree with you that the place is not all that bad. Now, mind you, I did not specifically seek out this attraction. Rather, the first time I was in Barcelona, I joined an all-day city tour and this happened to be one of the stops. I found it amusing seeing the replicas of different areas of Spain which I had visited. And for those places that I hadn't had a chance to visit, it made me want to take a trek to those places.

Having said that, however, I can't imagine going back to the place again. I presume it's all a matter of perspective and expectation. If one were in Barcelona and specifically sought out Poble Espanyol, I can understand how it could be disappointing. So no matter what Hemingway said (he was obviously a great writer but I'm not sure about his taste for tourist attractions), I think the Poble is worth at least one visit.

#23930 - 05/19/05 12:40 PM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
What a coincidence! I am planning a trip for a group of high school students for next March and this time we will be in Barcelona! I was thinking of Poble Espanyol as a possible stop, because the students will not have been able to see Southern Spain during this trip... frown and it would be a shame for them not to "see" some of the mixture of cultures in Spanish arquitecture. We will be doing a France/ Spain trip next year and the students will see many Roman ruins, but not much else. We are going to Provence and Cataluņa. smile I think the Pueblo Espaņol, although "touristy" is a decent exposure. I agree with Diana! ( how are you Diana? we haven't spoken since our trips this past March!--so sorry we didn't get to meet in Madrid!)

#23931 - 05/19/05 01:26 PM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
richie Offline

I think for young students it would be a nice thing to see examples of the types of spanish architecture. However, one poster called it authentic, itīs not authentic at all. Itīs "copies" of spanish architecture. I agree with Hemingway, itīs a fake. I felt so the whole time I was walking their, my wife felt the same way. I would rather experience only one real town than experience 4 fake ones. Also, it would be a better experience to just go to the barri gótic and see the real deal (just wacth your valuables, I see them stolen everyday).

#23932 - 05/19/05 02:16 PM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hola esperanza! I am well! I, too, am sorry we couldn't meet in Madrid, but you know how it is... We had quite a wonderful, memorable night that Thursday, but that's another story...

I would love to see your itinerary for Provence and Northern Spain - I plan to do both in the next 2-3 years for family groups, not students, but I'm not sure I can fit both areas into one trip - there's so much to see and do! Next March we go to London for a Shakespeare trip...

Anyway, back to the topic... Richie, I totally understand where you're coming from. I just don't feel the same way, but I imagine what I look for in a visit may not be the same thing you look for. I visited Poble Espanyol with my sister, who continues to live in Spain part time, and we both loved it because it reminded us of the many places we have been in Spain over the years. As for being authentic, it may not be an authentic town as a whole, but many parts are actually authentic - they were brought to Barcelona when the Poble was built. In many ways it's like an outdoor museum. For the sake of those tourists who wonder if they should see it, I hope these posts will be helpful. But beware of calling it fake - it's not a movie set or made of plastic! As is typical in Spain, it's a well thought-out attraction!

#23933 - 05/20/05 09:24 AM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
richie Offline

I consider it a fake because it isnīt a town, nor ever was. It is something designed to look so, much the way Woodbury Common is designed in New York, as well as other outlet "villages". At least in the commons one knows itīs only for shopping. Donīt get me wrong, Poble Espanyol is way better than any outside outlet mall, but when you get right down to it, thatīs really what it is - a "town" built to attract people to visit the "local shops" (that arenīt all that local at all).

I really saw it as being a fake when I spotted the internet café.

#23934 - 05/25/05 09:25 AM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I haven't been on here for a little while, but one thing always puzzles me when I see people writing about things being "touristy".

richie's location is Barcleona and therefore I imagine he is resident there, so I am directing this at others who don't live here in Spain and speaking generally, not just about this particular thread.

Surely mostly everyone who travels for a short time to a country in which they don't normally reside is a tourist, unless they are here on business, or am I wrong? confused

People complain that a particular place listed in a guide book as a tourist attraction is too "touristy". As an example, Gaudi's Parc Guell and Sagrada Familia are packed with tourists. Should people not visit them for this reason even though they are great places to see? It's almost as if a stigma is attached to calling oneself a tourist.

Myself, I love to be a tourist whenever I can because that tells me I'm not slogging away at my desk at work! laugh

You've also solved a little mystery for me richie, by the way. Whenever I see that particular phrase you used confused in the personal columns of every Spanish newspaper I've always wondered .............???

Thanks!! Now I know!!! laugh

#23935 - 05/30/05 04:52 AM Re: Barcelona: Poble Espanyol is a "beso negro"
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
I see that particular phrase you used in the personal columns of every Spanish newspaper I've always wondered .............???

Thanks!! Now I know!!!
I suppose you are referring to the 'beso negro' phrase. Actually it doesn't mean 'it sucks', but 'rimming'. Just in case you decide to respond to any of those ads in newspapers... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments