Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23860 - 04/26/05 11:00 PM Granada to Barcelona by car
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
I've planned a 16 day trip starting in Madrid to Cordoba, Sevilla, Arce de la Frontera, ROnda, Granada. We have two days to drive from Granada to Barcelona which I am not booking in advance. DOes anyone have any ideas of where to stay, nice small towns or coastal towns that will be interesting to stay in over night before we get to Barcelona.

#23861 - 04/26/05 11:55 PM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Stay in Peņiscola. There is a picture book out now entitled "The Most Beautiful Villages in Spain". That's Peņiscola on the cover.

#23862 - 04/27/05 10:42 PM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
Bev Offline

Thanks, Where is Peniscola near? Have you been there? What is it like?

#23863 - 04/27/05 10:53 PM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ahem... umm.. don't forget the "ņ" in that name. (i.e. Peņiscola) hehehe.. wink

Better call Coca-Cola & Pepsi Cola. They've got some competition. wink

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#23864 - 04/27/05 11:05 PM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
marilisa Offline

Loc: Virginia (EE.UU.)
Oh my! laugh

marilisa

#23865 - 04/28/05 12:50 AM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Peņiscola is about 2 hours south of Barcelona, on the coast. Here is a website with lots of pictures:

http://www.lemonpage.de/english/azaharen.htm

I don't remember the hotel we stayed in, but it was right on the beach, and we showed up with no reservations, in June. You could try this one:

http://www.hotel-losdelfines.com/

The castle is beautiful, and the old town is really quaint. The tourists there are almost all Spanish. It would be a really nice stop on your way to Barcelona.

#23866 - 04/28/05 02:30 AM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree with Aidance. Peņíscola's old quarter is a very small town placed on a rocky peninsula surrounded by beaches. In the 15th century, when there were two Popes (one in Rome and the other in Avignon), after the last Pope in Avignon lost pretty much all of his supporters he ended his days living in Peņíscola, and was known as the Papa Luna (Pope Moon). It's quite an interesting place. It's only about 2 hours and a half from Barcelona.

#23867 - 05/01/05 04:42 PM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
Bev Offline

Thanks for the Peniscola, sorry I don't know how to add the mark on top of the n. It sounds great, would you stay there as opposed to Sitges. Also, what would be a good first night stop since your suggestion is almost all the way to Barcelona and I don't think we'll get that far the first night. Thanks again.

#23868 - 05/11/05 08:24 PM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
Bev Offline

I still need a suggestion for a place to stay for the first night after Granada, somewhere more south than Peniscola, around Alicante or Valencia. We don't want to drive so far each day. Leaving in 3 days! Help!

#23869 - 05/12/05 12:25 AM Re: Granada to Barcelona by car
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Sorry, I can't help you with a personal recommendation, but you might browse this link:
http://www.costablanca.org/eng/

Also, a great guide book series is the Insight Guide to Spain. That's how I discovered Peņiscola. By the way, on a Mac, you press alt n then n again and you get ņ.

Have a great trip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments