Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23820 - 04/20/05 03:32 PM Granada versus Sevilla
Algrace Offline

Hi Everyone -

This message board is so helpful! I am going to Spain and Portugal for 12 days end of May/early June. The plan is to hang out in Lisbon for a few days, then drive to either Sevilla or Granada, ditch the car and go to Barcelona for the last few days. I found some really cheap flights from Sevilla to Barcelona, so now I am wondering if we should just skip Granada all together. Does any one have any ideas or advice for me?

#23821 - 04/20/05 04:16 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
mmh166 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Skip Granada? No way! If anything, skip Seville. I like Granada much more than Seville for many reasons... The climate, the culture, the sites, the outdoor activities. Seville is ok, but I'm my opinion, it is more a second-rate version of stuff you can see elsewhere. That will annoy some people for sure, but in my travels, it's been the truth. If scheduling causes you to miss Granada this time, you should at least visit it on your next trip to Spain.

#23822 - 04/20/05 06:44 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I have to vote for Granada hands down. Although, I did live there for a semester so I may be a little biased. That said, I have visited both and would still choose Granada over Sevilla any day. Just my opinion smile

#23823 - 04/20/05 07:48 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
No way.Sevilla is the best. I lived there for 8 months. Granada is fun also. It is the basic idea. Small vs big. Sevilla has a population of 700,000.Granada about 300,000. Granada has that old world feel though.Sevilla is a little more touristy

#23824 - 04/20/05 10:53 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
granada94 Offline

Loc: West Haven, CT
I can't see how anyone can compare the two cities. It's like attempting to compare apples and oranges. Yes... there are cities in Andalucia but each have there own claims to fame. Sevilla is beautiful but certainly would not recommend driving anywhere within it. I must agree with the others. Granada is the way to go but I must admit I lived there. Overall, it depends on what you want in things to do. Both are worth a visit and to tell you the truth you should visit both. I'd be glad to further discuss. Feel free to email me.

Good Luck!
Debbie

#23825 - 04/21/05 07:14 AM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
AlGrace writes:
Quote:
... going to Spain and Portugal ... plan is to ... drive to either Sevilla or Granada, ditch the car and go to Barcelona for the last few days. ... Does any one have any ideas or advice for me?
I won't attempt to compare Granada with Sevilla - try to fit both in if you can.

If you rent a car in Portugal, drop it off in Portugal! If you rent a car in Spain, drop it off in Spain! Otherwise, dropoff charges will exceed everything you save on transportation for your entire trip. You can take a bus from Lisbon to Sevilla: it's a long ride (about 8-hours). Then, when you get ready, you can Bus or Train to Granada and maybe fly to Barcelona from there.

So, if you're going to skip something, skip the idea of dropping off a car in Spain that you rented in Portugal. cool

#23826 - 04/21/05 04:08 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Both Sevilla and Granada are fantastic - in completely different ways - but both are a must see.

Is it possible to do Barca on a different trip? You didn't detial where you were flying out of - and I'm guessing it is either Portugal (as that seems to be your starting point) or Madrid. If you went to Barcelona at a different time, you would be able to experence both Sevilla and Granada.

FYI, the poster's comments about dropping off the car in the same country you rented in is right on!

#23827 - 04/22/05 02:08 AM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Algrace Offline

Thanks for the car advice. I figured that one out yesterday too when i got a quote! Yikes! My flight is actually out of Barcelona. I think I will defintly go to Granada now and a quick day in Sevilla since it seems to be enroute.

#23828 - 04/22/05 08:03 AM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Algrace, Please return to this thread after you have been in Spain and let us know your thoughts & reactions to both Sevilla & Granada - it would be interesting to read your reactions.
Have a wonderful time!!!

#23829 - 04/22/05 07:03 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
ellenoregon Offline

Loc: oregon usa
If you can stand one more opinion...I just visited Sevilla and Granada in March. I liked Sevilla more but I didn't feel like the two nights each were enough in either place. I thought the Cathedral and Alcazar of Sevilla were a much more relaxing tourist experience --not so many people and both were amazing to look at. The Alhambra is an intense crowd control situation that detracts from the amazing architecture. We drove into both cities and it was a nightmare both times, so stick with public transport. The old town of Sevilla is a fun place to wander by foot, I thought the Albicin of Granada was a little more gritty and because it was on a hill, more of a chore. But really both were great and need several days to enjoy.

#23830 - 05/06/05 05:34 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
rosie1973 Offline

Loc: chicago
Alright, who wants to fight? C'mon. I'll take you down. SEVILLE ALL THE WAYYYYYYY. Of course I don't want to start a brawl because the topic is what this person should do for vacation. Granada is nice, the Alhambra is the most amazing thing I've seen in Western Europe. . . go EARLY EARLY EARLY in the morning or you will be fighting crowds more than experiencing the site. the city is nice and has a lot of history, HOWEVER Seville has more flavor. It might be hot there during your vacation so beware --- but please don't miss it. Seville is so colorful, so full of life, it has such an amazing relaxed vibe, the people are so gracious and friendly. All of the beautiful courtyards will have you dreaming of it for years to come. When I think of quintessential Spain I think of Sevilla. GO.

#23831 - 05/06/05 11:27 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I'm with Rosie1973 all the way. The first time I visited Spain, I went to both Seville and Granada, and I found Seville to have much more charm. In Seville, you can just hang out in Barrio Santa Cruz and feel like....I don't know, I can't describe it, it's just an amazing cultural experience. In Granada, beyond the Alhambra, it wasn't too interesting. I can think of a lot of Spanish towns I'd like to visit again before Granada. Don't miss Seville. I've always felt that if you could only spend one day in Spain in your entire life--it should be in Seville.

#23832 - 05/09/05 10:19 AM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
I've always felt that if you could only spend one day in Spain in your entire life--it should be in Seville.
How true!!!!!

#23833 - 05/25/05 12:12 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Zaro Offline

Loc: Bulgaria
Hola!

I've just come back from my Spain trip. I visited both Granada and Seville. To me Seville is better. As to Alhambra vs Alcazar, Alhambra was the first, Alcazar was made after Alhambra. Alcazar, however, is more compact, while Alhambra is more dispersed.

I have to say that I spent more time in Seville. I stayed in barrio Santa Cruz - a place to remember. Seville has its own specific charm, scent, spirit. Murillo Gardens, Maria Luisa Park, the river, the cathedral.

Seville cannot be described, you must go there and see it for yourself.

#23834 - 05/29/05 06:37 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
BeatleGirl518 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I had heard so much hype about Sevilla, and I admit that I was slightly disappointed when I got there. It was very beautiful and atmospheric, but for some reason, I preferred Granada. Admittedly, I did not have a long stay in either city, but the latter made a better impression in the short time that I had there. The Alhambra (and especially the Generalife gardens) is absolutely the most beautiful place I have ever visited--hands down. The strong Moorish influence makes it so unique from other places in Spain--it really feels like a 'foreign' city more than others. Also, the people there are friendly and the tapas bars are not to be missed.
So, my vote's for Granada!

#23835 - 05/29/05 09:51 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I know I already posted but i saw this topic resurface and had to support my favorite city in the entire world.... GRANADA! That said, I think it takes more than a crazy busy day spent visiting the Alhambra to understand why. I loved that city, and I feel so lucky to have been able to live their when i did. While both get touristy in the summer, winters and springs in Granada are amazing.... while the Alhambra is wonderful (go at night if you can!), Granada is sooo much more than just that! Hang out in Plaza Nueva, talk to people in the tapas bars, stroll them the albaycin, at night it is truely magical, like the other poster said, i suppose you could say its a little "gritty", but its so
"real". Stop in at the local guitar maker shops. Its hard to describe the appeal of the city, I guess you just have to experience it. I found the people of granada to be amazing, and so proud to be granadinos! If you spend enough time there, you will quickly understandy why smile
kelly

#23836 - 06/01/05 10:09 PM Re: Granada versus Sevilla
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
Just returned with my family from 2 weeks all over Spain and I have to put my vote in for Sevilla. We all fell in love with it. As was said by others, it has a special atmosphere, a special spirit. I was a little disappointed in Granada. The Alhambra was exceptional but otherwise, I was unimpressed with the Albaicin, the restaurants, etc. Take me back to Sevilla. Oh, and also Barcelona. We all decided if we could, we would move there tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1861 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments