Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23745 - 03/21/05 03:02 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I would recommend either two, Toledo or Segovia. Ávila and Salamanca are a little farther away, and you can't have it all!!!

The train to Segovia is really slow, it takes about 2 hours, while the bus gets you there in 1 hour and a half or less. Desert dweller advice is a good one, but I would rent a car for that.

Eddie, Madrid is not La Mancha, although I agree that its environs are not the best (in my opinion the south part of Madrid is really ugly), but the Sierra has really nice places to walk and still enjoy crystal clear waters and blue skies.

#23746 - 03/21/05 03:33 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
karenkfla Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl
Thanks everyone for all your input! I have booked a hotel in Toledo for one night...it's called Pintor El Greco...we will take the bus from Madrid as everyone seems to suggest it being the best way! Thanks again. Karen

#23747 - 03/22/05 06:17 AM Re: side trips from Madrid
la calma Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi Karen,

another suggestion: For a perfect relax go to the Arabic Baths in Madrid, C/Atocha 14, right off the Pl San Jacinto Benavente. I was there last year - incredibly refreshing and relaxing after a day of sightseeing. Website at www.hammamspain.com (Spanish and English). You must bring a bathsuit, but everything else is provided (towels, soap). They offer several packages, combining the bath with a massage/lunch/dinner and belly dance show.
Enjoy!

La calma

P.S.: Hi Chica!!!!

#23748 - 03/22/05 11:07 AM Re: side trips from Madrid
la calma Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi again!

Thanks for you message Karen!
No, I did not dine at the restaurant of the hammam because they were booked out that evening (Sat night´s dinner and show). The restaurant looked really nice and if the food is just half as good as the baths it´s still worth trying out... wink
Go for it and tell us how it was!

From Prussia with Love,

la calma

#23749 - 03/25/05 03:19 PM Re: side trips from Madrid
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Karen --

Another suggestion for a day trip from Madrid. We were in Sigüenza today, the province of Guadalajara. It's a beautiful town with an impressive cathedral and castle. While it isn't quite Toledo, it is historical in its own right and very medieval. You certainly won't run into the tourist crowds that you will in Toledo. The train station is right in the middle of town as well... it is on the Madrid-Barcelona line.

I haven't put our pictures up on a website yet, but found this webpage that has some great shots.

On Sunday we will be heading to Cuenca to see the Casas Colgadas (I've seen them before but my husband, who is Spanish, hasn't!) among other things.

Hopefully your notebook of ideas is getting full! smile

#23750 - 04/05/05 09:16 AM Re: side trips from Madrid
tia_c Offline

Loc: australia
hi Karen,

I agree with the other posts for your daytrip to Toledo! But I also did a day trip including lunch from Madrid to Avila / Segovia. The aquaduct in Segovia is a must-see,as is the castle. Avila is beautiful, and you will remember the day forever. I have to say it was my favourite of all the tours I did, and one I will repeat when I return to Madrid. It can be booked on the net, however, I just booked with the concierge in the hotel last time, and was collected at the door! Have a great trip!!

Tia

#23751 - 04/15/05 09:31 AM Re: side trips from Madrid
Hector Offline

Loc: Florida
"Chinchon"........as previously noted, is wonderful, the lamb lunches are delicious around a wonderful town square, actually a circle. There is a nice Parador there also. Take it in for a breather from Madrid. Buen viaje!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments