Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23540 - 02/01/05 02:23 PM Re: has anyone been to Valencia?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Thnaks guys.
Deibid- where is Valencia de Alca...? how far is it from Valencia?
Guia- I've checked out the Hostal Moratin on another site and i'll check out El Cid. i'll be going to Spain in September. i'm just looking at options right now, i haven't made up my mind yet but i really want to go to El Prado in Madrid. i might make Valencia a 1-2 day trip.

#23541 - 02/02/05 03:38 AM Re: has anyone been to Valencia?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, I am not deibid, but Valencia de Alcantara is about 500 miles away from Valencia. While Valencia is on the Mediterranean coast, East of Spain, Valencia de Alcantara is in Extremadura, a few kilometers away from the Portuguese border, West of Spain. VdeA is a small beautiful village that had a wonderful forestal environment. Unfortunately, two summers ago there was a big fire that burned out many square miles at both sides of the border in that region.

#23542 - 02/02/05 02:04 PM Re: has anyone been to Valencia?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
thanks Torrales!

#23543 - 02/24/05 03:01 AM Re: has anyone been to Valencia?
Chicago Jake Offline

Loc: Chicago, USA
I spent a few days in the city of Valencia, and it was NOT the most interesting part of Spain. The best part was, the HOLY GRAIL is located in the local Cathedral. That was cool. Other than that, I'd rather have devoted the time to Andalucia. Have a great trip!....Jake

#23544 - 03/15/05 11:47 AM Re: has anyone been to Valencia?
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Go to Valencia either during "Las Fallas" in March, the festival where they celebrate St. Joseph. The villages construct huge burnable effigies that represent the region or political floats. The floats then parade through the town and get judged. The best ones are sacrificed by burning. It's a pretty wild week of partying.

During Las Fallas, people throw huge firecrackers into crowds. I would be aware of one's surroundings. During the time I went a few years ago, it rained, so the festival wasn't as crowded.

See this website:
http://www.cyberspain.com/life/fallas.htm

Another time to go to Valencia is in Aug.-Sept. during "La Tomatina". In Bunol, they cover the little tiny town in plastic so that thousands of people can have a huge tomato fight. Women should be careful when attending this event because it gets pretty wild and they will have their clothes torn off!

For La Tomatina, I wore swimming goggles and a bathing suit underneath my throw away tee shirt and shorts since you can't really hold on to anything during the tomato fight. It gets really, really slick. Those with tomato sensitivity should not attend. Imagine having tomato juice on your skin for 6 hours before you get to wash off on the outside showers! Do not wear any jewelry! Some of my girlfriends who were ill-prepared had their tops ripped off, but luckily, we were with classmates who were gentlemanly enough to offer their shirts to them.

See this website:
http://www.cyberspain.com/life/tomatina.htm

Don't forget to eat homemade paella there! The best in the world! Stay away from the restaurants that cater to tourists where they serve frozen/"ready made" paella. One of my fondest memories is sitting at an outside cafe and seeing the owners of the restaurant walk back from across the street where they have been cooking paella in a 6 by 8 foot paella pan that needed four people to carry.

Enjoy!

#23545 - 03/08/06 11:30 AM Re: has anyone been to Valencia?
Vedouze Offline

Valencia I love it! Plenty of things to do and so spanish! go to the Carmen in the city centre, plenty of bars and restaurants!
I am back here in Valencia since last month and I LOVE IT

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1726 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments