Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23354 - 11/25/04 10:58 AM valladolid - day trip?
raquelvalenzuela Offline

Loc: London
Hi there

Will be in Madrid for only 5 days next month, is it worth taking a day trip to Valladolid, i.e. is there anything worth seeing there...?

Thanks

#23355 - 12/03/04 12:53 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Hey, your query slipped right under the radar...
I personally love Valladolid, although places like Segovia or Toledo make a better day trip on your first visit to Madrid.
One of the main reasons for visiting Valladolid is to sample its fine wines and hearty food, but there are others. Here's a selection
National Museum of Sculpture -- a must-see
Museum of Spanish Contemporary Art
Columbus Museum House
Wine Museum -- I haven't been here, but I wish I had.
One last point - wrap up warm if you go in December. Valladolid is on the meseta and is not warm at this time of year.
Buen Viaje!

#23356 - 12/03/04 02:48 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Two reasons to visit Valladolid:

1) No crowds of tourists and touristy "schlock" for sale like in Toledo and Segovia [although I love both of those cities] and

2) The variety and number of different churches to visit make it a relatively unknown treausure.

I lived in Valladolid for four months and found the downtown pedestrian district always a great place to stroll, and again, the rich religio-architectural heritage of the once-capital of Spain is fantastic. Most people don't think of it as a tourist destination. Glad you have.

Are you driving or planning a train trip from Madrid?

P.S. Don't tell the Puerto Ricans or Cubans, but Columbus is buried here [too]. rolleyes

#23357 - 12/03/04 06:52 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I have some personal and sentimental reasons for loving Valladolid, but I also think, as others have said that it has quite a bit to recommend it. The old city is quite charming; its Plaza Mayor very distinctive; the old churches are beautiful. The facades on the church of San Pablo are amazing and the sculpture museum is a true gem that doesn't get nearly the "press" or attention it deserves.

Tour books often give this city short shrift, emphasizing its modern, industrial, 20th century legacy--but if you can get into the heart of the old city, it's well worth it. It's lovely to see other members of the list singing its praises smile

#23358 - 12/03/04 08:06 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
steven77 Offline

Burgos is more interesting, but could be cold at that time of year.
Why not take a trip south to Cordoba? one hour from Atocha.

#23359 - 12/08/04 08:42 AM Re: valladolid - day trip?
raquelvalenzuela Offline

Thank you everyone for your replies, have some ideas now! Was thinking of visiting a friend there so will try and get there if I have the time.

#23360 - 12/08/04 05:14 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
Real_Valladolid Offline

Valladolid is a very beautiful city. My wife and I visited Spain last year on our honeymoon. We finished off the trip in Valladolid since that is where the majority of my family is from. I used to go as a child almost every summer so Valladolid is like a second home. I've always loved it. Not as busy and crazy as Madrid. The
Plaza Mayor is very beautiful, especially at night. The tapa bars are to die for. They have creations that have won Tapa awards. For example, a puff pastry fileld with goat cheese, Morcia and apple. Unbelievable! There is also a very beautiful park called "Campo Grande" and they have many beautiful shops. There are also some unbelievable towns close by such as "Sienmancas" which has a medieval castle! Try to see it if you can.

#23361 - 12/08/04 05:37 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

I'm repeating myself here, but I'm in full agreement with real_valladolid. The tapas in Valladolid are to die for, and quite often for 1 to 1.20 Euros each. For superb wine and fantastic tapas you need only stay in Valladolid.

#23362 - 12/09/04 08:22 AM Re: valladolid - day trip?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
real_valladolid & filbert - how right you two are!
Vallodid is not a place that many visitors go to .... making it all that more special! You might find yourself wanting to spend a night or two - if at all possible - keep your plans loose to allow for such changes.

#23363 - 12/17/04 11:32 PM Re: valladolid - day trip?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Real_V: The town you reference is "Simancas" and is great. The castle is now home to historical archives. I can't remember if they're national or local, but they are archives. A nice little sidetrip, nonetheless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments