Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23298 - 10/18/04 10:32 PM a few barcelona questions
debbie s Offline

Loc: new jersey
hi! will be visiting barcelona with teen-age daughter end of nov. aside from being open to any off-the-beaten-track suggestions, I have 4 questions 1) does cable car from barceloneta run that time of year? 2) Is Port Vell worth going to maybe at night that time of year? Is it still lively? 3)Is it necessary to reserve at Casa Battlo? and 4)Is there anything post-Forum worth visiting at the Forum site? eek Thanks rolleyes

#23299 - 10/19/04 06:16 AM Re: a few barcelona questions
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Hi Debbie S,

I just returned from Barcelona in early October and did not need a reservation for Casa Batllo. We really enjoyed Parque Guell, especially Gaudi's cottage. Nearby Montserrat is very interesting but you would probably need a car to visit it. I am sorry but I don't know about Port Vell and the Forum. The seaside town of Sitges is not too far away and is very beautiful.

Have a great trip!

Dave B.

#23300 - 10/20/04 03:46 AM Re: a few barcelona questions
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
1) The cable car doesn't run from Barceloneta, but from Montjuic to Port Vell. Unfortunately, it is closed from Oct 3rd until first quarter of 2006 for renewal works (see the note at http://www.tmb.net/en_US/barcelona/moute/planols/planoteleferic.jsp .) All information you need about public transport in Barcelona at http://www.tmb.net/en_US/home.jsp (English version)

2) There is a mall at Port Vell called Maremagnum. It opens everyday and it is very popular.

4) If you are interested in modern architecture, that what it remains from the Forum. The main building, the Photovoltaic Canopy, St. Adria Port, a beautiful park called Diagonal Mar Park by Enric Miralles,...

And about Montserrat, there is no need of a car to go. A train from Plaza Espanya and either a cable car or a rack railway takes you right there. More info at http://www.cremallerademontserrat.com/ (English version available). There are some combined tickets that include train, cable car/rack railways, entrance to museums, and even lunch. Check the Website to see fares and schedules.

#23301 - 11/01/04 11:24 AM Re: a few barcelona questions
notyor Offline

Loc: Oldham
What's casa Batllo?
A restaurant?

#23302 - 11/03/04 06:10 AM Re: a few barcelona questions
Tullie Offline

Loc: Almachar, Malaga
Casa Battallo is one of the masterpieces of the great barcelona architect Antonio Gaudi. Built in 1904/5 it is an amazing building which you can now visit in its centenary year

#23303 - 11/18/04 05:54 AM Re: a few barcelona questions
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You have to visit Guell park, it is amazing. I was there in May this year, and had a lovely time. Will definitely return to Barcelona one day. La Rambla is really lovely, but don't know if it'll be so full of entertainers/vendors in November. I was quite surprised that it isn't longer. It was so lovely to be able to just sit there in the sun at the cafes and watch everything going on!

#23304 - 11/21/04 08:54 PM Re: a few barcelona questions
jcreature Offline

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which neighborhood to stay in Barcelona? I know Madrid very well -- I've been there for like a month over the past two years -- and I'm looking for a neighborhood in Barcelona that's similar to Madrid's Plaza Santa Ana. It's lively at night, lovely during the day with cafes and such. And, compared to Plaza de Sol, it's quite safe for tourists. Any ideas would be welcome.
thanks

#23305 - 11/28/04 06:09 AM Re: a few barcelona questions
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Just got back from two days in Barcelona. Looked like the cable car from Montejiuc was running (saw two cars moving on it). However, the others clearly weren't.

As far as places to stay, we were at a friend's across from Born Market in Ribera/Born. Staying in that area is great. Easy walk around the Gothic Quarter and over to Ramblas.

The Bus Turistic is expensive when compared with Madrid Vision, but has much longer routes. The coupon book they give you gets you discounts at most of the places that charge an entrance fee and you can recoup most of the cost if you plan on going into places. As with Madrid Vision, it was a good way to get an orientation to the city. We spent a whole day (seven hours) getting on and off it.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2937 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments