Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23231 - 08/29/04 01:54 PM Need help with Northern Spain Itinerary!!!
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I haven't been around here most of the summer - traveling for business about 75% of the time. Now, I'm frantically trying to put together plans for my Northern Spain trip in less than 3 week! :o

This is just my first past, so I probably need to start cutting out cities and adding days to others so I have a couple of 3 night stays. Then I need to get my hotels!

I'm a solo female traveler and I'm using public transport (car is not an option for me).

I have 2.5 weeks and here's what I came up with today:

Day 1-2 - Arrive Madrid, bus/train to Zamora. 2 nights at the parador. Possible daytrips to Toro, Tordesillas.

Day 3-4 - Travel to Ourense; daytrip to Ribadavia and possibly Montforte de Lemos

Day 5-6 - Santiago de Compostela; visit Lugo on route from Ourense to SdeC.

Day 7-8 - A Coruna; daytrip to Betanzos and possibly Camarinas

Day 9-10 - Luarca; travel to Luarca on FEVE line commencing in Ferrol - visit Viviero en route as daytrip; daytrip to Cudillero from Luarca

Day 11-12 - Llanes; daytrips to Villaviciosa and Ribadasella

Day 13-14 - Cangis de Onis; 2 nights at the parador; daytrip to Covadanga

Day 15-16 - Leon; daytrip to Astorga and Cstillo de los Polvazares

Day 17 - return to Madrid; leave next am.

This seems like alot to me at first pass, but every night is a 2 night stay and there's not a substantial amount of distance between each city (other than the last and first days getting to Madrid).

I'm torn between spending the time in Ourense or Lugo but very much want to visit Ribadavia and this is very accessible from Ourense. I visited Galicia 2 years ago and spent time in Tui, Pontevedra, Cambados and Santiago de Compostela. I'd love to find a way to spend a night in Tui or Cambados but would have to cut a night somewhere else. I also could skip the 2 nights in Zamora, heading directly from Madrid to Ourense but it would be a long trip just after arriving in Spain and Zamora sounds like a beautiful place. I've visited Oviedo in the past and would love to find some time to get back there also! I spent 3 nights in Leon a couple of years ago (love this town) and really wanted to stay in Astorga this trip but I think the festival of San Frolan will be happening in Leon at the same time I am there and (1st weekend in October) and therefore I decided to do Astorga as a daytrip. I'm not quite sure if I'll really like Cangas de Onis but I've read so many good things about this area and the parador that I kept it on my itinerary. (I'm not a hiking person or nature type when it comes to vacations).

I'm also tempted to fly directly from Madrid to Santiago, cutting out Zamora and Ourense. I could also eliminate Llanes and Cangis. Ugh. It's last minute and I just need to make a decision!

Also, if anyone knows if there are luggage lockers in the train/bus stations in these towns it would be great feedback - Betanzos, Camarinos, Villaviciosa, Ribadesella, Cudillero, Ribadavia.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their assistance.

#23232 - 09/02/04 12:35 PM Re: Need help with Northern Spain Itinerary!!!
davidx Offline

I can't help much on most as I have really only been to the places you went last year other than those mentioned below. I used Tui for access to North Portugal by train as well. Train times suited this but not the opposite.
Ribodavia is lovely but I think you are right to do it as a day trip. On no account miss Zamora but 1. even the Cathedral is closed on Mondays - and everything else. 2. You could stay just one night and probably not feel you have missed too much.

#23233 - 09/02/04 02:30 PM Re: Need help with Northern Spain Itinerary!!!
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, David.

I had a chance to rethink everything after a moment of panic last weekend. Here's what I came up with:

Arrive Madrid; fly to Santiago de Compostela
*3 nights Santiago de Compostela
daytrip to Cambados
*3 nights Monforte de Lemos (parador)
daytrips to Ourense, Ribadavia
*3 nights La Coruna
visit Lugo enroute from Monforte
daytrips to Betanzos and possibly Camarinas
*2 nights Luarca
read that FEVE trip from Ferroll to Luarca is very beautiful. Stop along route in Viviero for a few hours
daytrip to Cudillero
*3 nights Llanes
daytrips to Villaviciousa and Ribadasella
*2 nights Leon
daytrip to Astorga

I had to drop Cangis de Onis and am having thoughts on how to change around so I could have 2 nights in this area, but I'd probably cut a day from Santiago (spent 4 nights there in the spring 2002) and perhaps a day in Llanes.

Any thoughts about this? I don't want to be rushing around too much but I also don't want to be TOO stationary. I'm traveling solo and think that you can travel much faster by yourself! I've had a very stressful summer at work so I'd also prefer to err on the relaxing side.

Also, need accomodations recommendations (will post in that section).

Thanks again.

#23234 - 09/02/04 09:27 PM Re: Need help with Northern Spain Itinerary!!!
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Cathy M, I hope you make it to Camariñas. It's very cute, and there you will find three generations of women making lace together in many different shops. It's fascinating to see how fast they work--even the seven-year-olds! It's a pretty long, windy drive from A Coruña, but well worth it.

#23235 - 09/02/04 09:43 PM Re: Need help with Northern Spain Itinerary!!!
Alcala Offline

Aidance,

We spent a week in May in Llanes and _loved_ it. I hope you have a chance to stay there on your trip. You should be able get in and out of town via bus. We stayed in El Colladin de La Arquera, about 1 km up the hill, which was walking distance from the bus station and town (you have to have the squid at Cafe Madison!). The owner of El Colladin, Ricardo, was a fabulous host who has an absolutely terrific guide to the region and the Picos.

We also spent several days visiting in Gijon, where I have family, and if you need help getting in and out of there, let me know. Otherwise, we didn't hit any of the other towns on your itinerary, but wish we could go back. Good luck with the trip-

Brian

#23236 - 09/03/04 04:54 PM Re: Need help with Northern Spain Itinerary!!!
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the advice. I have read very little about Camarinas but it was one of those places that intrigued me. As far as Llanes, I wondered at first if 3 nights is too much but everyone who has visited there just raves about it.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments