Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23153 - 08/05/04 02:36 PM Need help planning itinerary
SULTAN Offline

Loc: usa
I am traveling to Madrid on the 18 of December. I will be in Spain until the 4 of January. I am traveling with 3 other Adults. I needed some expert advise on what my plans should include.

#23154 - 08/05/04 05:00 PM Re: Need help planning itinerary
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hello Sultan,

What a wonderful time to travel. No lines at the museums and monuments, wonderful roasted chestnuts on the sidewalks of Madrid. Lovely December skies.

First, you must decide what your pace is going to be. Your itinirary will depend on the number of cities you would like to visit. You have about 16 days to travel, you don't count the 18th nor the 4th. Remember that the evening of the 24th, the 25th, the 31st of December and the 1st of January are party days in Spain.

Of course, you could decide to spend all your time in Madrid, there is plenty to see and do in Madrid and its environs. The Prado museum deserves a whole day! Near Madrid you have the unforgettable cities of Toledo, Segovia, Avila, Alcala de Henares, and El Escorial.

Madrid is a centrally located capital, so if you wish to travel afield you can accommodate a trip to Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba. Or travel northwest and visit Salamanca, Leon and Santiago de Compostelo. You can travel northeast to Bilbao and Barcelona. Or west to Valencia and Murcia.

When I travel I choose two to three hub cities, and then I plan day tours to nearby cities. I usually haunt Barnes and Noble bookstores and look over the newer travel books for ideas.

Good luck with your research and eventual trip,
Carmen

#23155 - 08/05/04 06:22 PM Re: Need help planning itinerary
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I agree with Booklady. Pick one or two hub cities and explore around them. A really easy guide book for your time in Spain would be Rick Steves' book on Spain and Portugal. It is short and covers the basics clearly. You can then use this site to supplement your knowledge of places that sound interesting. I like to take my time and see fewer places well than more places rapidly. Each person has their own comfort zone.

Madrid requires several days. Toledo is a town that I love to spend time exploring. I find it to be more comfortable than Madrid and there is lots of history within its walls. Your info does not say where you are from, but hopefully your local library will have some tour books to get you started.

#23156 - 08/06/04 01:38 PM Re: Need help planning itinerary
SULTAN Offline

Loc: usa
Thank you all. if you can think of anything else i would greatly appericate it. i think we will try to head to south of spain for sure.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments