Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23097 - 07/07/04 04:37 PM Andalucia in August?
Xacara Offline

Due to family schedules, I will be braving Andalucia during the heat of the summer--Ronda for two weeks in school, and then one week with family to Cadiz, Jerez, and surrounding towns like Sanlucar and Arcos. Should I really worry about not being able to travel around due to extreme temperatures?

Kindly advise!

Xacara

#23098 - 07/08/04 07:39 AM Re: Andalucia in August?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Xacara writes:
Quote:
Due to family schedules, I will be braving Andalucia during the heat of the summer--Ronda for two weeks in school, and then one week with family to Cadiz, Jerez, and surrounding towns like Sanlucar and Arcos. Should I really worry about not being able to travel around due to extreme temperatures?

Kindly advise!
I don't think you should worry. Just be cognizant of the fact that: only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun (to paraphrase Rudyard Kipling). Keep your heads covered and use plenty of sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher).

Cadiz is a coastal city as (I believe) is Sanlucar de Barrameda. Normally you may expect afternoon seabreezes in both places.

Jerez de la frontera and Arcos de la frontera in early AM or evening. Most Motorcoaches are air conditioned, so, after a morning excursion you can travel by bus back to your coastal hideaway.

If you must partake of alcoholic beverages (like Sanlucar's Manzanilla) save it for evening after the sun goes down. Otherwise, alcoholic beverage intake can magnify the effects of insolation.

#23099 - 07/09/04 01:19 AM Re: Andalucia in August?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have been to Sevilla twice in February and stayed at the Hostal Nuevo Suizo both times. It was a great low season place to stay.

The thing that scared me was the appartus on the air conditioner. It was just like the coin slider on an American pinball machine. I can see myself begging for quarters on calle Sierpes at 4 in the morning!

I can't see why anyone would pay to go to Spain in the summer!

#23100 - 07/09/04 07:28 AM Re: Andalucia in August?
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Mongo, I can certainly imagine you having fun with your tin cup at the corner of Sierpes.

I was in Seville and Granada two years ago late July early August and promised myself not to that again! Funny, because I am originally from a hot weather area and found the South hard to bear with at that time.

It is not the best way to enjoy Andalucia. But, if you already have plans, the observations from the members above will help you, especially the one about alcohol. Stop to rest at a shaded cafe from time to time.

Enjoy your trip!

#23101 - 07/09/04 11:49 AM Re: Andalucia in August?
Xacara Offline

Thanks to everyone for their moral support and advice! It's going to be one interesting adventure.

Xacara

#23102 - 07/12/04 03:13 PM Re: Andalucia in August?
campo viejo Offline

Loc: England
Just a late addition to the other messages...
Andalucia is great in summer if you just respect the heat (which is powerful!) Drink plenty water, get up early when its still a bit cooler, take a siesta in the afternoon, this is important as nobody in their right minds should be up and about at this time. Stay up late and join in with the locals who enjoy life into the early hours at this time of year.
Just a footnote on Sanlucar, it's one of my favourite towns in Spain, the smell of the Manzanilla wine drift through the air, the sea and river Guadalquivir cool things down a bit and the seafood is out of this world. I always feel like I am on the edge of the world in Sanlucar.
Cadiz is also a splendid city, with a beautiful cathedral. This area also seems to me to be very reasonable on price too.

Have a good trip!

#23103 - 07/20/04 04:08 PM Re: Andalucia in August?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Yes, it is hot, but it is definitely doable. Heed the advice about not going out in the heat of the day. In Sevilla, you will mostly see tourists on the street at this time. On the bright side, it is nice to be there when the crowds thin out. The beaches in and around Cadiz will be great. If you can get out of town, try to the south of Cadiz.

#23104 - 08/06/04 04:41 PM Re: Andalucia in August?
ScottyB Offline

Loc: New York
Hope to see ya there.
Ill be in SanFernando, Cadiz next town over its a island. But its Sooo nice..
Some of the best beaches in Spain..
Ill be there 8/21/04 - 11/18/04..

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2046 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments