Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23024 - 06/04/04 03:18 AM Alhambra-day or night?
kimekazee Offline

I understand that there are 2 daytime tickets: morning and afternoon but nightime tickets as well to visit the Alhambra. My question is what time should I go? I think you also have to get a seperate ticket to visit the gardens? I am lost! I wont get in to Granada until about 9:00 am, so what is my best option? Any advice?

Thanks all!

#23025 - 06/04/04 05:25 AM Re: Alhambra-day or night?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I just did a SEARCH for you and you'll find the " Alhambra tickets " particularly useful for your question.

Anyone have any additional input? Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#23026 - 06/04/04 06:30 AM Re: Alhambra-day or night?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
While a night time visit to the Alhambra is amazing and magical, it is somewhat limited--not everything is open, you don't get the full effect of the gardens of the Generalife, etc.

If at all possible, do both, but if you can only do day or night, I would suggest day.

#23027 - 06/04/04 10:50 AM Re: Alhambra-day or night?
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
My family and I visited the Alhambra in April, while we had afternoon tickets, morning might better in the summer. There are plenty of gardens to see without buying the additional ticket. In the evening, walk up to Iglesia De San Nicolas ( or catch a cab - it's a pretty still climb) and sit at one of the nearby outdoor cafes, have drinks, and watch the sun set and the lights come on at the Alhambra! With the mountains in the background, it's breathtaking! Have fun. Oh, if you're staying in Granada, get room on or close to the Plaza Nueva, that's where it's all happening in Granada for the most part.

#23028 - 06/08/04 10:30 PM Re: Alhambra-day or night?
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Yes, I agree. Near and around Plaza Nueva is a very happening place. From the Plaza walk north onto Calle Elvira. Lots of tapas bars on C/ Elvira.

I also suggest getting to the top of the Albacin hill to the Mirador de San Nicolas to view the Alhambra at night. You can take a taxi or take the number 31 bus from Plaza Nueva. From the top of the Albaicin hill you can take the number 32 bus to the Alhambra. If you just want to get from town to the Alhambra, take the number 30 bus.

If you want to find authentic flamenco music be warned that the gyspy caves in Sacromonte are very touristy. With the possible exception of Cueva de Maria la Castanera which, although it would not survive without tourist clientele, yet makes a sincere effort to remain authentic.

Venta El Gallo is the same. A flamenco venue that tries to retain its authenticity yet relies on tourism to survive.

If you would like a suggestion for truly authentic flamenco, virtually unblemished by tourism, I know a difficult to locate private gypsy club that might (or might not) let you in. It is a very private club that does not advertise and does not wish to become part of the tourist scene. I was allowed to enter because I am very fluent in Spanish and also becauce the doorman was impressed that I am very fluent about flamenco music and culture.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments