Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22847 - 04/17/04 04:10 PM best northern beaches
bpfox Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'm traveling to Northern Spain at the end of June with my family (two children ages 5 and 8) and would like beach recommendations. We're thinking of San Sebastian and one other--staying at each for three to five days.

#22848 - 04/17/04 05:03 PM Re: best northern beaches
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Try Santander, with very good beaches right in the city like El Sardinero or La Magdalena, and some other wonderful ones in a 20 kms. radius, like Liencres:

#22849 - 04/19/04 11:45 PM Re: best northern beaches
latapia Offline

Loc: Shanghai
Ive not traveled that extensively, but I spent a summer in Santander and really enjoyed the beaches there. If youre in San Sebastian I strongly recommend paying Santander a visit. Liencres as well was very nice.

#22850 - 04/21/04 07:11 AM Re: best northern beaches
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
bpfox writes:
Quote:
I'm traveling to Northern Spain at the end of June with my family (two children ages 5 and 8) and would like beach recommendations. We're thinking of San Sebastian and one other--staying at each for three to five days.
I, personally, don't care for (la Concha & Ondarreta) San Sebastian's beaches. My favorite on el mar Cantabrico is playa Sardinero in Santander (Cantabria). It's what you would call a Family environment.

I have heard a lot about Llanes (in Asturias) but haven't been there.

Going west from Oviedo, which I would definitely recommend this (Santiago) Jubilee Year, Vigo, in the Province of Pontevedra, Autonomous Community (Xunta) of Galicia is my next recommendation. Vigo's playa Samil is very nice as is Baiona, at the mouth of the ria de Vigo. There are other beach resorts in the area: Cangas and Moanha across the ria from Vigo and Islas Cies.

I would go that far west to visit Santiago de Compostela.

#22851 - 04/21/04 04:22 PM Re: best northern beaches
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
bpfox: I trust Eddie's judgment on this one. Although I always find myself visiting San Sebastián, I never do in the summer.

I recommend the Asturian coastline [Llanes is great, Eddie], but echo the sentiment on Santander. Well worth the trip.

If you do plan to go to Galicia instead, you may want to make sure you've got lodging locked up, as we're in pleno Xacobeo as was mentioned.

#22852 - 04/30/04 04:48 PM Re: best northern beaches
bpfox Offline

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the geat advice! Why wouldn't you recommend the beaches in SanSebatian? Too crowded? Should I save this city for another trip during another season of the year? We're actually starting in Santiago and traveling east.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1718 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments