Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22753 - 03/31/04 10:27 PM Itinerary to and from Asturias
Alcala Offline

Hello all,

This is a terrific site and browsing the many postings is very helpful. I'd like advice on the following itinerary for my family (wife, two girls 5 and 2, and mother-in-law) for May 19-May 30, 2004, specifically for 3 questions:

1) Where in Madrid might we find larger family rooms/suites close to the center where we can all share a room for the first night after we arrive and last night before we return to the US? (And if we plan to rent a car, should we rent it when we arrive, or rent it when we plan to leave Madrid?)

2) We need to be in Llanes by Saturday and are currently planning to spend Friday en route. Between Valladolid and Leon, which is a better place to visit for the day, just passing through?

3) We are staying in Llanes for a week and plan to get to Picos de Europa (plus Covadonga) and Bilbao. Anyplace else not to miss for a day trip while we are up there?

I look forward to hearing back any thoughts you have to share...

#22754 - 03/31/04 11:03 PM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
You lucky devil!! You are going to Llanes for a week, and the Picos....I'm tortured with envy. We stayed for 3 weeks in nearby Pechon, and we went to Llanes many times.
1. Try Hostal Aquilar in Madrid. You can get a spacious Quad room--really 2 rooms, with a huge bathroom, centrally located, clean, cheap with a nice staff and internet access. But that still won't fit 5, so I suggest you put mom-in-law with those sweet kids and get a double for yourselves. wink
2. I've never been to Vailladolip but Leon is a must see. However, Leon is not exactly on the way to Llanes from Madrid--that's a rather odd route. You'd do better to go through Burgos (that's a great overnight stop) then N627 to Aguilar do Campo then N611 to Torrelavega, then N634 west towards San Vincente de la Barquera, continue on to Llanes. The whole trip should take you 6-7 hours at most not including stops. Of course, you could go via Leon and Oviedo to get there, and return via the above route.
Don't miss San Vincente de La Barquera, Santillana del Mar and Comillas. But Llanes is the best!! Make sure to find Playa de las Cuevas (west of Llanes) and take a walk north of the beach.
The best guide book for that area in my opinion is Insight Discovery's Northern Spain. You might have to order it on line. Take some of the recommended drives in the mountains of Cantabria.
You lucky lucky person.....have a great trip!

#22755 - 04/01/04 02:51 AM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Aidance is right, the most straight route from Llanes to Madrid is via Burgos. But...
The roads are waaaaay worse. Mountain roads full of curves and mountain passes. It's a terrific road if you like scenic vistas and huge wilderness.

If you go via Oviedo and Leon you'll find more 'civilised' road, most of it will be 4 lane highways and you'll get to visit two great cities instead of only one (Burgos is great, don't missunderstand me)
Leon and Oviedo's cathedrals are a must see, and the old town of Oviedo is great now that it has been reformed.

But on top of that, the highway from Oviedo to Leon is also VERY scenic, although less wild.
There is a 4500 ft mountain pass, a spectacular mountain lake bridge and (did you guess?) tons of mountains.

#22756 - 04/01/04 06:51 AM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Alcala writes:
Quote:
We are staying in Llanes for a week and plan to get to Picos de Europa (plus Covadonga) and Bilbao. Anyplace else not to miss for a day trip while we are up there?
Santillana del mar and Comillas are both within a single daytrip distance. If you want some real 'white knuckle' driving, drive from Unquera down to Potes (i.e., thru the Gorge of the rio Deva).

Continue to Santo Toribio: the Monastery where the largest known fragment of the Cross of Christ's Crucifixion is guarded; and maybe to Fuente De to ride the Teleferico up to the mountain. Then you can come back to Potes for s lunch of Cocido Lebaniego and some serious shopping.

If you're into the Religious you could daytrip to Limpias (a few miles south of Laredo) and see Cristo de Limpias, a Crucifix that's said to 'bleed' on occasion.

#22757 - 04/01/04 08:41 AM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
We had the same number of people as you have (including mother-in-law) and stayed at Apartasol in Madrid. Great location and price.

#22758 - 04/01/04 10:59 AM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
Alcala Offline

Thank you, thank you!!!

What great advice!

And to clarify, the reason we may be heading through Leon vs. Burgos on the way north is that we may stop first in Gijon for a night to visit my Spanish host family from many, many years ago (still working on those details). But, it sounds like even if we go straight to Llanes, it still might make sense to go via Leon/Oviedo (which I have been to and loved) anyway because of the larger roads.

But Madrid to Llanes is 6 to 7 hours without stopping? Our contact in Llanes said 5, but perhaps he's used to driving a bit faster.

And, one final question... any great castles that we should take the kids to on the way? I've read that Penafiel (sp?) near Vallodolid is great, but haven't figured out how far out of the way it might be....

Thanks again to all of you for your very helpful posts...

#22759 - 04/01/04 11:28 AM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Hi!
Your contact is right, it's about 5 hours without stops. I thought that Aidance said 7 hrs INCLUDING stops, that's the reasonable time.

You'll find PLENTY of great castles on your way without any detours, you'll be going through the heart of Castille, that after all owes its name to castles. Peñafiel is too far to the east of your route but...one of the important ones is 'Castillo de la Mota' in Medina del Campo, Valladolid. It's right on the highway, and it's impossible to miss for obvious and impressive reasons:

#22760 - 04/02/04 08:37 PM Re: Itinerary to and from Asturias
RennerLKO Offline

Loc: Oregon USA
We ust got back from doing the same trip you are going to do.
Feel free to email me and I will give you some valuable and practical advice.
jj.renner@attbi.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments