Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22680 - 03/01/04 11:55 PM Review of Cuenca
yaya Offline

Bring your cameras! We took the bus “Auto- Res’. The station is off the Plaza Conde Casal near the Hotel Claridge. Since there were 6 of us and it was a Fri. we were advised to get there 2 hrs. early so as to be assured of a seat for the 10 A.M. Express. (about 17 Euros round trip.) It took 1and ½ hrs. to get there and the bus was comfortable. When you get out of the station walk toward the left a few blocks for another local bus stop and wait for the #1 local bus which will take you to the old part of town and the Plaza Mayor. (5-10 min. ride.) The Cathedral is right there. We visited the Museo de Arte Moderno. (wonderful art, great views, I bought nice modern poster of “Las Meninas”) The Puente de San Pablo (bridge) is right there near the museum and across the bridge is the monastery. From the bridge is where you get the awesome views of the Casas colgadas. (Hanging houses.) There is also St. Esteban Church and the Virgen de Angustias Church. (which we didn’t get to.) We ate at Restaurante Mangana which is right in the plaza. For 10 Euros you got a huge meal including wine, appetizer, and dessert. I saw a fancier restaurant next to the museum that looked good too. Near the restaurant is the Tower of Mangana. While access to the actual tower appeared to be blocked off, there are other look-outs all around and the view is stupendous. In the Plaza are also several places to buy yellow pottery and the like. In the shop opposite the restaurant I asked (I speak some Spanish.) the woman if the pottery was made there and she said –of course; her brother –in law makes it! We took digital cameras with several cards and a device that loads the cards onto a CD. I would recommend getting one of those devices as we were able to use the cards over and over. The people that went to Cuenca with us said it was the best day of their trip. I want to thank the people who answered my original question about Cuenca in the transportation section. It turned out to be a great day.

#22681 - 03/02/04 11:01 AM Re: Review of Cuenca
dave99 Offline

Loc: UK
nice, I will look forward to it in a couple of weeks (I have enough memory for about 280 digital photos, that *should* be enough for a week smile )

#22682 - 04/13/04 08:57 AM Re: Review of Cuenca
Chiyo Offline

Took the Auto-Res bus as well.

I got some locals to direct me to a bus-stop. Get out of the bus station, walk past 2 bus stops. You will find yourself at a "junction". Look across the street for the bus-stop.

The bus-stop is just in front of a MNG (Mango) boutique. From there you can take bus #1 or #2. 60cents euro per trip. It will take you to Plaza Mayor. From there can walk to Hanging houses.

The ceramic shops there are GREat !!! initially bought lotsa souvenirs for my friends... when I am finally back home, took a few more looks at it & decided to keep it myself first...

Stayed at the Parador de Cuenca... Not wonderfully fantastic but still great.

(subsequently, I went to check out the Parador at Segovia, its much better.....)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1868 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments