Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22650 - 02/27/04 10:52 AM Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Hi everyone!

In two weeks laugh I will be in magical and magestic Toledo (for two nights)with a student group of 23 kids...just wondering if anyone (sel, are you back from Spain yet?) has any ideas on places to definitely go to and things to do with a group of teens in Toledo. I know that we will have our first day free...no tours scheduled...so I will be on my own for lunch (any ideas for a good yet inexpensive restaurant for me to take them our first day in Spain??) with them and then afternon/evening activities. Just walking around the streets is probably my favorite thing to do, but I would like to have some direction...any ideas?? Thanks smile

#22651 - 02/27/04 12:16 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hola Esperanza!

How lucky you are to be going to Spain!

Here are a few things that jump to mind...

You probably know this already, if it's your first day after the flight, DON'T let the kids sleep at all! Keeping them in the daylight is your best bet to help them get over jet lag.

If you have a tour manager, ask him/her what they will be seeing as part of the scheduled tour, and then get a list of interesting things not on the list to do that first day.

I'd recommend splitting them into small groups with a scavenger hunt to complete. You could include modern things, like where is the nearest cybercafe, and how much does internet connection cost; find a kiosko and list the names of 3 newspapers; as a group buy a magazine (you may want to choose one wink for them) and report on something they learned; find where you can buy stamps for postcards; find a mail box; where can you buy a coffee at any hour... And go on to architectural findings - you list them (example: Arabic arches) and they either describe where they found them or even make a map of the area... I'd have them try lunch on their own in small groups - although that sounds harsh on the first day, with some earlier coaching on behavior, ordering courses, menu del dia, etc., it could prove to be a great experience. Then you could have a meeting to share all the findings - maybe even a small prize for the winning group (mazapan de Toledo??).

Have fun! I'd love to hear how your trip goes!

#22652 - 02/27/04 12:40 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi esperanza!! How excited I am for you. That's great.

But just for clarification, WHERE will you be your first day in Spain? You didn't mention it but I'm going to guess it's Madrid unless maybe you're going directly to Toledo from Barajas airport and staying there.

Wow. 23 kids. And ALL of them in one restaurant? hehehe... If in Madrid I could personally recommend the less-expensive but verrrrry good Restaurante La Sanabresa in Huertas. They have lots and lots of tables and you might have to go earlier than "normal" in order to get a table for that many... OR, stop by or call.. ummm... Pedro (I think is the name of the owner) and ask if you can reserve X-number of tables for X:00 time. I don't think they ever take reservations for small groups but maybe they'll make an exception for your large group. They're located on Calle Amor de Dios, 12. You can SEE the address on the QDQ.com site HERE . It's very near the Anton Martín metro stop. Well, you can also read my review of it in my last year's journal HERE . Of course, if you're not going to be in Madrid then the above information is useless to you. wink

There were crowds of tour groups, mainly school groups, waiting outside for entry into the San Telmo (?) Church and throughout Toledo when I was there last April. Hope YOU miss these crowds. And while it's not logistically feasible, if possible, take them over the river to the Parador which has a nice, BIG terraza overlooking the hilltop city of Toledo and the river surrounding it. You can't really walk there (I did it, but WOW it was far - took almost an hour, I think, and all uphill) but if you could get a bus or if you'll already have a tour bus taking you here and there then that might be a nice way to finish the day to Toledo to relax in the sun, drinking a coke or something, and overlooking Toledo.

Have a GREAT time!! Will there be an online school journal of the trip, by chance?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#22653 - 02/27/04 06:23 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

oops! MadridMan...I thought I was clear...we will be in Toledo...yes we are going directly from Barajas to Toledo. We will be staying at the Carlos V hotel there.

Diana...hi!!! I know you are traveling soon too...hope your trip goes well! Thanks for the suggestions...I love all of them. My husband ( who sadly cannot come on this trip with me frown ) suggested the scavenger hunt idea to me too... I think I will try that...it sounds like so much fun! smile

MadridMan, Thanks for the suggestions in Madrid too! We will be in Madrid March 18th and March 19th( Día de San José---I wish I could be in Valencia for Las Fallas...) and I will keep those places you suggest in mind. thanks smile I love the view from the Parador in Toledo too! We have stayed there twice and have always loved looking over at the city...especially in the twilight... unfortunately, it is unlikely we will be getting there this trip...but you never know! wink

#22654 - 02/27/04 09:52 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

My apologies, esperanza. You were clear. I read it too quickly. rolleyes "my bad" :o

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#22655 - 02/28/04 07:31 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Esperanza! Back in Spain again, huh? Maybe we can meet up when you have a free moment (perhaps with 23 students that is asking for the impossible!)

Just a reminder that March 19th is a holiday here in Spain. I am not sure about restaurants, but I believe most commercial places will be closed. So, that may limit your plans for that day!

I love the idea of a scavenger hunt. It´s something that I did last summer when I taught an intensive Spanish course here. It was really a great way to build up the students´ confidence in speaking with the locals (the things they had to find, they had to ask for).

If I don´t see you when you arrive, have a great trip! smile

#22656 - 02/28/04 10:17 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Hi Becky, Thanks for the heads up on el día de San José...will El Corte Inglés be closed??? We have a tour of the Prado planned for that day and I general tour of the city and in the afternoon I thought I could give them time to shop...do you mean ALL shops will be closed?

As for getting together...I would love it, but it seems a bit unlikely considering the limited time in Madrid and my need to be around for the kids...
Do you have any other thoughts for the scavenger hunt?

#22657 - 02/28/04 12:16 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hi Esperanza --

I am fairly certain that even the Corte Inglés will be closed on that day. However, you might want to contact them as sometimes, the large shopping centers have different hours. Send an email to servicio_clientes@elcorteingles.es explaining your predicament. They might have a solution for you.

Another place you may want to consider (if the Prado and Corte Inglés are indeed closed) is Madrid Xanadú which is just on the outskirts of the city. It is accessible by metro via the recently opened Metro Sur loop of the metro. The claim of this shopping center is that it is open 365 days of the year. However, having just looked at the website, I am not certain as in small print it said that the "zona de ocio" is open until 4am the day before holidays.

You will score big points with your students as it is home to the Parque de Nieve... the largest artificial indoor ski park in Europe. I have yet to go to Xanadú myself, but have many friends that have gone and rave about it. The website is very comprehensive...so give it look.

As far as scavenger hunt ideas... I will dig around to find the list of things that I sent my students looking for and send it to you. Off the top of my head...

1. ¿cuánto cuesta una caña en (local bar...you can use Museo de Jamón since there are many locations). You might want to change caña for café con leche.

2. ¿qué es una lombarda y donde puedes comprar una? (edit note: I am so embarrassed!! :o )

3. ¿cuánto cuesta enviar un postal a los EEUU?

4. ¿Donde está la parada del metro más cercano?

5. ¿Qué es un polideportivo y donde está lo más cercano?

6. (I had the students do my grocery shopping at the local market... ha ha ha!)...I gave them a simple shopping list of fruits/vegetables and cold cuts and suffient money. They had to go to the local market (not supermarket) and ask and pay for each of the things on the list (4 manzanas, 1 kilo de tomates, 100 gramos de piñones, 250 gramos de jamón cocido sin sal, 500 gramos de chorizo blanco, etc). Since it was an intermediate level group, it was a great work out on their basic vocabulary and numbers....all in a very noisy and chaotic atmosphere.

For the questions regarding locations, I provided the students with a simple street map of the area close to my offices and they had to go out, find a local who could explain it to them and indicate it on the map. The students had to write out the instructions.

One of the things that I do with my English students is an internet scavenger hunt. It gives them skills in surfing in English and gets them familiar with using search strategies in English to find what they are looking for easier. I haven´t tried it with Spanish students yet, but assume that the inverse would be true as well. For example, things that they could find ...

1. una foto del primer ministro de España
2. página web de Real Madrid
3. Give them a website for El Corte Inglés , Carrefour or Ikea Spain and tell them to find the prices of a series of products.

Anyway...just some other ideas that you can use with your students both in Spain and in the States. smile

#22658 - 03/03/04 09:04 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hola!!

I just got home and am trying to get unpacked and out the door for Costa Rica!!

You are brave to take 23 kids to Spain!!

Toledo is still hold a special place in my heart. It is a magical town with enough history to capture one for a lifetime.

There is a new exhibit called the Claves de Toledo which I found interesting and it takes a bit of time to really see the whole thing. There is a lot of reading, all in Spanish, but if you need an English version, they have a script.

There was also an exhibit displaying incredible pieces of pottery and telling its history, but it may be over before you get there.

Also, the Synagoga de Transito has reopened and is very interesting. If you can get the kids to take there time, there is lots of history to be learned in these places. The Synagoga has laminated cards in several languages available in each room. They are in a box, on the wall.

It is 6 km to walk the circumference of the town along the ancient wall. I love to explore the tiny streets, but with a crowd that is difficult. The paseo along the exterior is spacious and you can visit the various bridges and points of entry along the way.

Also newly opened is the Cristo de Luz (Mezquita), but I would not pay to see it. Most can be viewed from the outside.

There are tour companies that give tours that might be of interest. I just saw flyers but there is a website: www.toledopaisajes.com and www.colectivoculturalimagina.com

You can also run them across the San Martín bridge and along the walkways up the hill from there. In that area, there is a play ground and a park with roses on the south part of town between the Synagoga and Calle Los Descalzos.

I hope you have a wonderful time!! I am anxious to return in June to visit Toledo again. laugh

#22659 - 03/08/04 07:32 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Watch out Spain! This is the week I will be arriving with 22 teenagers!(imagine? one kid dropped out at the last minute confused ) Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I have already written out the scavenger hunt ( BTW, Chica: what is un lombardo? ) and I have the plane tickets in hand...I cannot wait to be in Spain( even if I have to be on call 24 hours a day with these kids... I am still going to be in SPAIN! I haven't been to the Alhambra in Granada, Sevilla ( I cannot wait to walk through the gorgeous streets) or the Mezquita in Córdoba in 14 years!! I have been exclusively in the north...so, If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas...I'm not leaving til Thursday night smile

#22660 - 03/08/04 08:35 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Torrales Offline

Hi, Esperanza!

First of all, gook luck with those 22 kids. You're gonna need it! smile

March 19 is a public holiday in Madrid province, apart of some other regions, but not in the whole country. The bad news are that El Corte Inglés and most of the shops will be closed that day in Madrid area.

Xanadú is a mall that opens 365 days a year, but it's not reachable by Metrosur. Metrosur only gets to Mostoles, a city 17 kilometers away from Madrid, and Xanadu is 7 kilometers further in the same road.

Don't worry about Museo del Prado because it will be open from 9 am to 7 pm.

BTW, don't tell anyone, but I have no idea about what a lombardo is, either. :-)

#22661 - 03/08/04 10:15 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

esperanza, I'd like to "throw out" a nice link for photos of Toledo. It's http://www.FotosdeToledo.com and it's run by a guy, a real Toledano, right here in Columbus, Ohio!

Have a GREAT time! Saludos, MadridMan

#22662 - 03/08/04 01:24 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
arbit Offline

Wow - I did not realize that next Friday, March 18 is a holiday in Madrid . I will be there and have plans to go to Segovia for the day. Does anyone know if the buses will be running? Are most restaurants closed?

#22663 - 03/08/04 07:00 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan, that Toledo website you recommended is amazing! Thanks so much! I am really psyched!

#22664 - 03/08/04 08:14 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
http://www.zocodover.com/z/inicio.asp

This is his main site and it has tons of info about Toledo. He also sells authentic swords for those of you who do not know how to get one back to the US. He knows so much about the city and is always willing to help with specific concerns!!! smile

#22665 - 03/09/04 06:04 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Wow! Esperanza: We just got back from a short trip to Ireland (my Madrilenha wife loved it!) so I just now found your Spring-break trip plan.

Some places you might consider visiting: the Plaza de Toros (just outside the Gate and next to the Hotel Maria Cristina) and the Mozarabe Renfe station (assuming you will take a bus to Toledo because of the construction on the ferrocaril). rolleyes
P.S.
I don't know how many Chaperones will be with your group but I would assume you (and perhaps Marisa) are the only ones with first-hand experience in Spain. eek

I wish you the best of good fortune and (just in case) I'll say a prayer for you.

#22666 - 03/09/04 08:12 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Eddie, Thanks for your good wishes and prayers...I will need them for sure wink Unfortunately, my lovely daughters will NOT be with me on this trip(and I am getting a lot of grief because of it!) we are on different vacation cycles and they cannot take off for 10 days... frown My little one is really sad about me leaving...ay! I do feel a "little" guilty rolleyes but, then I rememer that I AM GOING TO SPAIN and those guilty feelings go away wink .

Looking at the weather in Spain it seems like it will be rainy in Toledo on Friday and Saturday frown , so our plans may have to change. We'll see.

#22667 - 03/09/04 09:57 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Esperanza writes:
Quote:
... I do feel a "little" guilty ...
As well you should! Bring them back some Mazapan and Toledo Damascene trinkets. That should smooth their ruffled feathers.
Quote:
Looking at the weather in Spain it seems like it will be rainy in Toledo on Friday and Saturday , so our plans may have to change. We'll see.
If it is wet, that will present another problem: Those cobblestone streets in the old part of Toledo can be very slick when they get wet. eek

In my earlier post I left out the obvious Tourist stops: the Cathedral, Iglesia de San Tome where you can see el Greco's the burial of the Conde de Orgaz, the synagogue, the el Greco museum; and, of course, the Arms factory where the great Toledo knives & swords are made. Teenage boys love things like that. cool

Study up on the siege of Toledo during the Spanish Civil War. Tell the kids about the General who told his son to 'Die Bravely' when the enemy tried to use the son to extort a surrender by the father's forces. rolleyes

#22668 - 03/09/04 11:46 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Oh I am soooo embarrassed :o !!! My fast typing fingers and bad memory (my fault for not looking at my notes!)... not un lombardo.... UNA LOMBARDA! (where´s that Homer Simpson doh! sound effect Madridman?).

Torrales, thanks for clearing that up about Xanadú. I did not know it wasn´t accessible by metro, which I find to be very suprising. A few of my friends have gone and said they went there by metro... so I just thought it was accessible. Esperanza...sorry to give you bad information.

Another idea...since you will be in the Plaza de España... how about a movie in original version subtitled in Spanish... or better yet, a movie in Spanish altogether. There are lots of V.O. movie theaters in the Plaza de los Cubitos adjacent to the Plaza de España and plenty of movie theaters along Gran Vía.

If the weather is nice you could go to the Retiro and rent some row boats.

I´m still thinking of ideas!

#22669 - 03/10/04 04:03 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Torrales Offline

Quote:
Oh I am soooo embarrassed !!! My fast typing fingers and bad memory (my fault for not looking at my notes!)... not un lombardo.... UNA LOMBARDA! (where´s that Homer Simpson doh! sound effect Madridman?).

Torrales, thanks for clearing that up about Xanadú. I did not know it wasn´t accessible by metro, which I find to be very suprising. A few of my friends have gone and said they went there by metro... so I just thought it was accessible. Esperanza...sorry to give you bad information.
Don't worry, Chica! smile

Now I know what you meant. That is a proof that gender is quite important in Spanish. Actually, the word "lombardo" exists, and means "man from Lombardy", but I couldn't guess something, not someone, called that way.

And about Xanadú, there will be metro (or something similar) there by 2007, but not now. In the big infrastructure plans of the regional government for building 73 new kilometres of Metro and Light Metro, a new line is included that will depart from Móstoles to reach Navalcarnero, and surely it will have a stop at Xanadú.

In the same Website you provide, there are directions about how to reach Xanadú (in English). See how it doesn't mention Metrosur: http://www.millsmadridxanadu.com/English/Pages/Directions.htm

BTW, that page has a big mistake saying that road A-5 (N-V is its old name) goes to Seville. It goes to Extremadura and connects to the Portuguese road to Lisbon.

#22670 - 03/12/04 07:18 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

I wonder if Esperanza's trip went off the night of the Train bombings in Madrid or how many 'last minute' cancellations she had.

I believe they were scheduled to arrive in Madrid this AM, less than 24-hours after those horrible attacks. Those N.Y. kids are going to get a real picture of the aftermath of some horrific events.

Our prayers are with you, Esperanza; and when you get back you can give us some first hand reports of what you saw there.

#22671 - 03/12/04 10:33 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Ohmygosh. It's true. Esperanza and all those New York City kids are in Madrid! eek Ohmygosh. Ohmygosh. Those poor kids, having to relive some of the horrors and fears they had just 911 days earlier. That's so sad and so unfortunate. frown

#22672 - 03/16/04 01:03 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Where's esperanza?? I'm anxious to hear how things went or are going with her and all those kids in Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

#22673 - 03/16/04 03:20 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

I haven´t heard from her...not that I was expecting to... but thought maybe she might check in while here....especially in light of the attacks. frown

#22674 - 03/21/04 10:30 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Hello everyone... smile I am back in New York! We arrived home yesterday. I am sorry not to have checked in while on the trip, but I was SOOOOO busy and had not one minute to get online at all.

So, here is the scoop: We were scheduled to leave on Thursday, March 11th...and everything was in place and set to go. I woke up that morning at 6am with the news of the tragedy in Madrid. What devastating and tragic news!! frown After 2 years of postponing this trip, I could not believe that this could happen on THE day we were scheduled to leave. I psyched myself up for school, not knowing what the principal would decide to do... and the minute I walked into school, she was there waiting to speak to me. I was thrilled that she hadn't decided to cancel, and wanted to know what I thought we should do. I already had tons of messages from the parents wondering what we were doing...so I had my morning planned out for me...Our tour company was extrememly helpful and accomodating, telling me we could change our itinerary once in Spain and not go on the AVE train from Córdoba to Madrid ( arriving at Atocha!!) as planned. We could avoid Madrid totally frown if we wanted to. That news and the belief that it had been ETA, helped me reassure the school and the parents that we would go as scheduled and then once in Spain we would reevaluate the situation.

So, we went on our flight as scheduled and in the end we DID go through Madrid ( by AVE into Atocha). I am SO glad we were able to follow our itinerary as planned. It was a great trip...with lots of happy memories. The students LOVED Spain ( por supuesto) and cannot wait to return.

I have lots ot tell you...but I cannot do it right now. I will try to write some more during the week. What I can say is that I feel so fortunate to have been in Spain this past week...such an historic and sad week in Spain's history...

I will try to write more soon. thanks for thinking of us... smile

#22675 - 03/21/04 11:52 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Welcome back, Esperanza!
I'm sure many others on MM's Board were 'holding their breath,' just like me. cool

#22676 - 03/22/04 11:42 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

We took an Iberia flight…it was packed and pretty uncomfortable. The food was eatable but not too interesting. Arrival at Barajas was smooth and easy. (I knew I was in Spain with the aroma of Ducado’s rolleyes in the air!) No one’s luggage got lost…thank goodness! Our tour manager was there to pick us up and bring us to Toledo…our first stop. We, the other chaperones and myself, were very concerned and interested in what was happening in Madrid and how things were going. We were assured that we would be “safe” in Toledo and that the kids would feel secure walking around the town there. Unfortunately it was drizzly and damp…but our spirits were high! We were all SO happy smile to finally be in Spain after 3 years in the planning! We stayed at the Carlos V in Toledo which turned out to be one of the best hotels of the trip. The location is ideal and the place was clean and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner were included in the tour and the hotel’s restaurant was quite pretty…all white with decorations on the style of the Alhambra….arches and such! The buffet breakfast was elaborate and quite satisfying…especially for the hearty teenage appetites. laugh

We were free the first day to wander around on our own, getting a “feel” for the city. We went immediately to the Plaza de Zocodóver where the kids experienced their first “chocolate con churros”…they were THRILLED with Spain …they knew that the food would be a highlight of their adventures in Spain. Some kids had a plate of embutidos—salchichón and chorizo…they were happy. We took them all out for a long walk, stopping in San Juan de los Reyes monastery. After wandering the streets of Toledo, we were able to check in and get into our rooms. The rooms were small but nicely decorated and everyone was happy.

We kept the kids up all day…no siestas!! cool ..which worked out great. We were able to give them lots of free time that afternoon to “get lost in Toledo” and get back to the hotel to meet and go back to the Plaza for the “manifestación”, which they wanted to experience for themselves. It was a moving experience. It was raining, so there was a sea of umbrellas in the Plaza…some people were handing out signs which said ”Asesinos” and all in all it was peaceful…quite quiet….and filled with emotion. The next day we saw the pictures in the newspapers of the manifestaciones in Madrid….wow! that was amazing! The kids were happy to have been part of the movement in Toledo. . After dinner they were beat, so we just hung around the hotel and got to bed early. It was a powerful and moving day for these teens in Spain. We were ready to begin our real journey tomorrow.

I will continue a bit more later…

#22677 - 03/28/04 11:43 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Well, the week home has flown by and I go back to classes tomorrow...so I just wanted to finish this thread up by telling you all that Toledo was a wonderful first stop and that the kids loved the ambiente of the Plaza at night... la marcha de Toledo está en la Plaza WOW! ...the first night was the demonstration...which was very moving and powerful...they were priviledged to be a part of it...and the second night it was just really crowded with lots of young people... there was no time for a "scavenger hunt" but I was glad to have that as a back up plan. Thanks Chica for all your ideas. smile

They loved Spain! cool smile They were surprised by all the moorish arquitecture in the south and they soaked up the culture. THe Alhambra and the Mezquita were real highlights. For me it was exhilerating to see Spain thru their eyes. They loved the food...couldn't get enough tortilla, churros y chocolate, chorizo, etc. They shopped and loved the fashion... the boys got lots of Real Madrid stuff...and the girls bought lots of accessories... They were captivated by the Prado and loved having time to explore there. They loved seeing Guernica in person after having seen posters of it in my classroom. They got a chance to put their feet in the Mediterranean while on the Costa del Sol...they took donkey rides in Mijas...the Ave train from Córdoba to Atocha was so fast and so good...and then to arrive at Atocha and see the memorial...a lasting memory for sure.

I am so happy that the trip was not postponed and that we were able to experience Spain during this historic time.

I miss it already...I am feeling very homesick for Madrid as I write this...I have to start planning our next trip! laugh

#22678 - 03/29/04 05:33 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for your post Esperanza. It´s so good to hear that the kids had a great time despite the unfortunate attacks here.

I am certain that seeing the memorial in Atocha brought back many memories of the same in NYC. I remember the first time that I saw the ad-hoc memorial in front of the site of the WTC. I was astounded and deeply moved.

Having participated in the manefestaciones here in Madrid, I can share with your students emotions as for me it was one of the most emotional experiences that I have had here.

No time to waste...time to start planning your next trip! smile

#22679 - 06/19/04 08:08 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Here is a copy of the article I wrote for our school newspaper discussing our trip that we took in March. I thought I would share it with you all. smile

Mission Possible
Fieldston Students Travel to Spain

Thursday, March 11, 2004 was a memorable day for all of Spain and the entire world. On that day, Madrid experienced the worst terrorism attack in its history. More than 1,400 people were injured and almost 200 people were killed when commuter
trains heading to Madrid during rush hour were bombed. Thursday, March 11, 2004 was also a memorable day for a group of 20 Fieldston students, and their chaperones, Fieldston teachers Trevor Nightingale, José Cury, Diane Russcol, and me. On that day, we departed for Spain, a trip which I had been planning for over two years. Although we were anxious and sad about the events in Madrid, we decided to continue with our much-anticipated trip. Having the love and support of the Fieldston community, we left for the airport when school was dismissed that afternoon. We were ready to begin our adventure!
Our first day in Spain was spent in Toledo where we explored the beauty of this medieval city with its unique mingling of Jewish, Moorish, and Christian influences. We went immediately to the Plaza de Zocodóver where the kids experienced their first chocolate con churros. They knew then that the food would be a highlight of their travels. Later that day, all of Spain joined together in a peaceful demonstration and expression of unity of spirit following the terrible events of the previous day. The demonstration was a moving experience and an opportunity to witness a moment of Spanish history in the making. After our stop in Toledo, we visited Granada, Ronda, Sevilla, Córdoba, and our last stop, Madrid. The Alhambra in Granada and the Mezquita in Córdoba were real highlights.
They were captivated by the Prado Museum in Madrid. They loved seeing Picasso’s Guernica at the Reina Sofía Museum and the flamenco show in a gypsy cave in Granada. They loved the food, the fashion, and they shopped in every city. One of the highlights was the bullfight in Madrid on our last day in Spain. It was not part of our planned itinerary, yet the students decided that they wanted to experience the bullfight to be able to see the spectacle and judge for themselves what it was all about. They also got a chance to put their feet in the Mediterranean while on the Costa del Sol, take donkey rides in Mijas, and take the high speed Ave train from Córdoba to Atocha station in Madrid, seeing the memorial set up for the train victims...lasting memories for sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments