Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22650 - 02/27/04 10:52 AM Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Hi everyone!

In two weeks laugh I will be in magical and magestic Toledo (for two nights)with a student group of 23 kids...just wondering if anyone (sel, are you back from Spain yet?) has any ideas on places to definitely go to and things to do with a group of teens in Toledo. I know that we will have our first day free...no tours scheduled...so I will be on my own for lunch (any ideas for a good yet inexpensive restaurant for me to take them our first day in Spain??) with them and then afternon/evening activities. Just walking around the streets is probably my favorite thing to do, but I would like to have some direction...any ideas?? Thanks smile

#22651 - 02/27/04 12:16 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hola Esperanza!

How lucky you are to be going to Spain!

Here are a few things that jump to mind...

You probably know this already, if it's your first day after the flight, DON'T let the kids sleep at all! Keeping them in the daylight is your best bet to help them get over jet lag.

If you have a tour manager, ask him/her what they will be seeing as part of the scheduled tour, and then get a list of interesting things not on the list to do that first day.

I'd recommend splitting them into small groups with a scavenger hunt to complete. You could include modern things, like where is the nearest cybercafe, and how much does internet connection cost; find a kiosko and list the names of 3 newspapers; as a group buy a magazine (you may want to choose one wink for them) and report on something they learned; find where you can buy stamps for postcards; find a mail box; where can you buy a coffee at any hour... And go on to architectural findings - you list them (example: Arabic arches) and they either describe where they found them or even make a map of the area... I'd have them try lunch on their own in small groups - although that sounds harsh on the first day, with some earlier coaching on behavior, ordering courses, menu del dia, etc., it could prove to be a great experience. Then you could have a meeting to share all the findings - maybe even a small prize for the winning group (mazapan de Toledo??).

Have fun! I'd love to hear how your trip goes!

#22652 - 02/27/04 12:40 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi esperanza!! How excited I am for you. That's great.

But just for clarification, WHERE will you be your first day in Spain? You didn't mention it but I'm going to guess it's Madrid unless maybe you're going directly to Toledo from Barajas airport and staying there.

Wow. 23 kids. And ALL of them in one restaurant? hehehe... If in Madrid I could personally recommend the less-expensive but verrrrry good Restaurante La Sanabresa in Huertas. They have lots and lots of tables and you might have to go earlier than "normal" in order to get a table for that many... OR, stop by or call.. ummm... Pedro (I think is the name of the owner) and ask if you can reserve X-number of tables for X:00 time. I don't think they ever take reservations for small groups but maybe they'll make an exception for your large group. They're located on Calle Amor de Dios, 12. You can SEE the address on the QDQ.com site HERE . It's very near the Anton Martín metro stop. Well, you can also read my review of it in my last year's journal HERE . Of course, if you're not going to be in Madrid then the above information is useless to you. wink

There were crowds of tour groups, mainly school groups, waiting outside for entry into the San Telmo (?) Church and throughout Toledo when I was there last April. Hope YOU miss these crowds. And while it's not logistically feasible, if possible, take them over the river to the Parador which has a nice, BIG terraza overlooking the hilltop city of Toledo and the river surrounding it. You can't really walk there (I did it, but WOW it was far - took almost an hour, I think, and all uphill) but if you could get a bus or if you'll already have a tour bus taking you here and there then that might be a nice way to finish the day to Toledo to relax in the sun, drinking a coke or something, and overlooking Toledo.

Have a GREAT time!! Will there be an online school journal of the trip, by chance?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#22653 - 02/27/04 06:23 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

oops! MadridMan...I thought I was clear...we will be in Toledo...yes we are going directly from Barajas to Toledo. We will be staying at the Carlos V hotel there.

Diana...hi!!! I know you are traveling soon too...hope your trip goes well! Thanks for the suggestions...I love all of them. My husband ( who sadly cannot come on this trip with me frown ) suggested the scavenger hunt idea to me too... I think I will try that...it sounds like so much fun! smile

MadridMan, Thanks for the suggestions in Madrid too! We will be in Madrid March 18th and March 19th( Día de San José---I wish I could be in Valencia for Las Fallas...) and I will keep those places you suggest in mind. thanks smile I love the view from the Parador in Toledo too! We have stayed there twice and have always loved looking over at the city...especially in the twilight... unfortunately, it is unlikely we will be getting there this trip...but you never know! wink

#22654 - 02/27/04 09:52 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My apologies, esperanza. You were clear. I read it too quickly. rolleyes "my bad" :o

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#22655 - 02/28/04 07:31 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Esperanza! Back in Spain again, huh? Maybe we can meet up when you have a free moment (perhaps with 23 students that is asking for the impossible!)

Just a reminder that March 19th is a holiday here in Spain. I am not sure about restaurants, but I believe most commercial places will be closed. So, that may limit your plans for that day!

I love the idea of a scavenger hunt. It´s something that I did last summer when I taught an intensive Spanish course here. It was really a great way to build up the students´ confidence in speaking with the locals (the things they had to find, they had to ask for).

If I don´t see you when you arrive, have a great trip! smile

#22656 - 02/28/04 10:17 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Hi Becky, Thanks for the heads up on el día de San José...will El Corte Inglés be closed??? We have a tour of the Prado planned for that day and I general tour of the city and in the afternoon I thought I could give them time to shop...do you mean ALL shops will be closed?

As for getting together...I would love it, but it seems a bit unlikely considering the limited time in Madrid and my need to be around for the kids...
Do you have any other thoughts for the scavenger hunt?

#22657 - 02/28/04 12:16 PM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Esperanza --

I am fairly certain that even the Corte Inglés will be closed on that day. However, you might want to contact them as sometimes, the large shopping centers have different hours. Send an email to servicio_clientes@elcorteingles.es explaining your predicament. They might have a solution for you.

Another place you may want to consider (if the Prado and Corte Inglés are indeed closed) is Madrid Xanadú which is just on the outskirts of the city. It is accessible by metro via the recently opened Metro Sur loop of the metro. The claim of this shopping center is that it is open 365 days of the year. However, having just looked at the website, I am not certain as in small print it said that the "zona de ocio" is open until 4am the day before holidays.

You will score big points with your students as it is home to the Parque de Nieve... the largest artificial indoor ski park in Europe. I have yet to go to Xanadú myself, but have many friends that have gone and rave about it. The website is very comprehensive...so give it look.

As far as scavenger hunt ideas... I will dig around to find the list of things that I sent my students looking for and send it to you. Off the top of my head...

1. ¿cuánto cuesta una caña en (local bar...you can use Museo de Jamón since there are many locations). You might want to change caña for café con leche.

2. ¿qué es una lombarda y donde puedes comprar una? (edit note: I am so embarrassed!! :o )

3. ¿cuánto cuesta enviar un postal a los EEUU?

4. ¿Donde está la parada del metro más cercano?

5. ¿Qué es un polideportivo y donde está lo más cercano?

6. (I had the students do my grocery shopping at the local market... ha ha ha!)...I gave them a simple shopping list of fruits/vegetables and cold cuts and suffient money. They had to go to the local market (not supermarket) and ask and pay for each of the things on the list (4 manzanas, 1 kilo de tomates, 100 gramos de piñones, 250 gramos de jamón cocido sin sal, 500 gramos de chorizo blanco, etc). Since it was an intermediate level group, it was a great work out on their basic vocabulary and numbers....all in a very noisy and chaotic atmosphere.

For the questions regarding locations, I provided the students with a simple street map of the area close to my offices and they had to go out, find a local who could explain it to them and indicate it on the map. The students had to write out the instructions.

One of the things that I do with my English students is an internet scavenger hunt. It gives them skills in surfing in English and gets them familiar with using search strategies in English to find what they are looking for easier. I haven´t tried it with Spanish students yet, but assume that the inverse would be true as well. For example, things that they could find ...

1. una foto del primer ministro de España
2. página web de Real Madrid
3. Give them a website for El Corte Inglés , Carrefour or Ikea Spain and tell them to find the prices of a series of products.

Anyway...just some other ideas that you can use with your students both in Spain and in the States. smile

#22658 - 03/03/04 09:04 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hola!!

I just got home and am trying to get unpacked and out the door for Costa Rica!!

You are brave to take 23 kids to Spain!!

Toledo is still hold a special place in my heart. It is a magical town with enough history to capture one for a lifetime.

There is a new exhibit called the Claves de Toledo which I found interesting and it takes a bit of time to really see the whole thing. There is a lot of reading, all in Spanish, but if you need an English version, they have a script.

There was also an exhibit displaying incredible pieces of pottery and telling its history, but it may be over before you get there.

Also, the Synagoga de Transito has reopened and is very interesting. If you can get the kids to take there time, there is lots of history to be learned in these places. The Synagoga has laminated cards in several languages available in each room. They are in a box, on the wall.

It is 6 km to walk the circumference of the town along the ancient wall. I love to explore the tiny streets, but with a crowd that is difficult. The paseo along the exterior is spacious and you can visit the various bridges and points of entry along the way.

Also newly opened is the Cristo de Luz (Mezquita), but I would not pay to see it. Most can be viewed from the outside.

There are tour companies that give tours that might be of interest. I just saw flyers but there is a website: www.toledopaisajes.com and www.colectivoculturalimagina.com

You can also run them across the San Martín bridge and along the walkways up the hill from there. In that area, there is a play ground and a park with roses on the south part of town between the Synagoga and Calle Los Descalzos.

I hope you have a wonderful time!! I am anxious to return in June to visit Toledo again. laugh

#22659 - 03/08/04 07:32 AM Re: Things to do in Toledo for teenagers
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Watch out Spain! This is the week I will be arriving with 22 teenagers!(imagine? one kid dropped out at the last minute confused ) Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I have already written out the scavenger hunt ( BTW, Chica: what is un lombardo? ) and I have the plane tickets in hand...I cannot wait to be in Spain( even if I have to be on call 24 hours a day with these kids... I am still going to be in SPAIN! I haven't been to the Alhambra in Granada, Sevilla ( I cannot wait to walk through the gorgeous streets) or the Mezquita in Córdoba in 14 years!! I have been exclusively in the north...so, If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas...I'm not leaving til Thursday night smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments