Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#22592 - 02/10/04 07:37 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We did not spent time in that area so I do not have any suggestions. I would not miss the Royal Andalucian horse show in Jerez, though. http://www.realescuela.org/ We got there when the grounds opened and spent time watcj¡hing then train and exercise horses before the show. The show was also great. We took the train there from El Puerto and it was a favorite of my kids. They wanted to return and do it a second time, but we ran out of time.

#22593 - 02/11/04 06:21 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Almohada writes:
Quote:
As far as nixing Tangiers, why the cold shoulder? I have never been to Northen Africa, so what are the pros and cons? ... I am curious a to folks' experiences.
In Tangier, you can expect to be met as you debark by countless beggars, sellers of all kinds of Moroccan merchandise (incl. Hashish), 'Guides' and jostlers (i.e., pickpockets). It's difficult for a visitor to distinguish between them. Everywhere you go, you will have beggars: almsgiving is one of the 5-Tenets of Islam and begging is a profession in the Islamic world. rolleyes
Maiming small children so that they will be more successful beggars is a practice not unknown in the Islamic world. eek

If a person is really 'down and out,' he (or she) may invoke the name of Allah when they approach you to ask for money: If you do not give of your own, you may be found guilty of a crime in Morocco and sentenced to imprisonment or fined. So listen carefully to what the beggar says. The fact that you don't understand Moroccan Arabic is not a defense. eek

Tourism may be Tangier's primary business. It was formerly a Free Port and center of International Banking but that all changed more than 40-years ago. Back then, it was displaced in that role by Beirut, Lebanon. cool

#22594 - 02/11/04 02:39 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Eddie,
so I take it that the thought of stumbling about a Moroccan goods market and being anonymous enough to enjoy the funk, music, and people watching would be hopelessly naive?

I am happy go and lucky, but it is probably the once chance for who knows how long for wife and I to explore (at least superficially) a well-known Northern African town.

But it things have degnerated into "rip off the tourist," then I would pass.

ANd Sel, the horse idea sounds great for the girls. I think an early morn alot sound be great. WHat time of day would you recommend going?

#22595 - 02/11/04 03:28 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I'd nix the day trip to Tangiers. It's like visiting Tijuana for the day because you want to explore Mexico. If you've ever been to Mexico it's a beautiful country but Tijuana is an awful border town.

I echo previous posters comments about somehow adding in Sevilla. Cut a day or 2 in Tarifa (that would have been the daytrip to Tangiers and wouldn't have been relaxing anyways) and in Pta Santa Maria to spend time strolling the city that is the soul of Andalucia. (However, at this late time it may not be even an option because of Semana Santa).

I'd definately start finalizing and making accomodation plans ASAP due to the holiday week.

#22596 - 02/12/04 06:31 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
I take it that the thought of stumbling about a Moroccan goods market and being anonymous enough to enjoy the funk, music, and people watching would be hopelessly naive?
Yes, and it could be dangerous. Are your children fair-haired? If so, you will see them being stared at continuously; and, depending on the 'going price' for fair-haired girls, someone may even attempt to 'snatch' them away.

If you do decide to go, keep your girls close; don't ever allow anyone to come between them and you and keep them in your sight at al times. This ain't your local shopping mall!

#22597 - 02/12/04 10:27 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
We have travelled to Europe 5 times with our kids, now ages 9 and 5. The best advice I can give you is to spend the first night in Madrid. Kids are famous for getting carsick when they are jet lagging. A friend arrived with his 3 year old and jumped in a car to Granada. The child was puking the whole way. My brother had the same experience on a bus full of 5th graders who arrived in Geneva from the US. We always stay put that first day, have leisurely day and try to keep the kids up until at least 10pm. Your kids will be crossing 9 time zones and could really benefit from a stress free arrival and some fun. Head over to the amusement park at Casa del Campo and they will have no trouble staying up.

Second, I have found that public transportation, as opposed to a rental car, is MUCH more difficult with kids. Every connection is a source of stress because you are on someone else's schedule and that schedule has no leeway. Flexibility means less stress for our family. If you change your mind, have your wife reserve a car from the States, as the rates may be better.

My overriding theme is to do as little moving around as possible. Especially when our kids were little. We have great memories of hanging out in beach towns and getting into the rhythm of a place. If you have a car, you could stay outside of Granada in one of the agroturismo places. I have researched it (but had to cancel) and some farms look like so much fun for kids and less than 30 minutes into town. A kitchen with kids helps, too.

You guys will have a great time. Just try to think like a 3 year old when planning! :p

#22598 - 02/12/04 04:02 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

Hi Jana (Czech by chance smile ?

Yeah I struggled over that first day. But I appreciate the reminder. Most of the trip is built around them---iwth that first doozy a notable exception. I'll make sure they are OK after arrival. They can crash at my apaprtment here in Madrid. And thanks for bringing up the possible jetlag-car sickness connection. For little ones, they have already logged a good number of miles. That said, they have not done a transoceanic flight. But yes, I will be extra vigilent, thanks smile .
Kids are famous for getting carsick when they are jet lagging. A friend arrived with his 3 year old and jumped in a car to Granada. The child was puking the whole way. My brother had the same experience on a bus full of 5th graders who arrived in Geneva from the US. We always stay put that first day, have leisurely day and try to keep the kids up until at least 10pm. Your kids will be crossing 9 time zones and could really benefit from a stress free arrival and some fun. Head over to the amusement park at Casa del Campo and they will have no trouble staying up.

Second, I have found that public transportation, as opposed to a rental car, is MUCH more difficult with kids. Every connection is a source of stress because you are on someone else's schedule and that schedule has no leeway. Flexibility means less stress for our family. If you change your mind, have your wife reserve a car from the States, as the rates may be better.

My overriding theme is to do as little moving around as possible. Especially when our kids were little. We have great memories of hanging out in beach towns and getting into the rhythm of a place. If you have a car, you could stay outside of Granada in one of the agroturismo places. I have researched it (but had to cancel) and some farms look like so much fun for kids and less than 30 minutes into town. A kitchen with kids helps, too.

On public transport, geez, I am a total car guy. However, here in Spain, I am completely comfortable with the trains and buses and not too entused about driving the mountain passages around Granada. I am sure that if I go ahead of time, I would be totally psyched, but like I said, I am unfamiliar. I guess I also planned the trip around trains since with Semana Santa it may get awfully packed on the roads (out of Madrid, it will be insane). And excuse #3, I am getting risk averse in my advancing wimpiness. The idea of having our car broken into does not sit well. I want a headache free scene. When in doubt and in pain/fatigue, we'll taxi. But Your comments are well taken and I will absolutely make sure I leave the military stripes (figuratively) on the shelf and keep a mellow time table.

And to Cathy M, the reasoning behind Puerto SM to Semana Santa is that I heard that apart from Sevilla, it is one of the best places to experience SS. That said and given the pointed feedback from Eddie and others, I will skip Tangiers and try to build in a daytrip to Sevilla. Yeah, I know, it is not the same. But paying couble the price of everything amidst thousands of people just isn't our scene, especially not with the little ones in tow. We just spent a five days in Cordoba and Toledo. We loved it for its quiet charm. Perhaps when the girls are older and they can appreciate the noises of feria-atmospheres we'll do the entire Semana Santa in Sevilla. But until then I'll leave the fun to the younger crowd on the board.

Of course, the more I write, the harder I will try to build in Sevilla! Hosh, Spain is great, isn't it???

Cheers, A smile

#22599 - 03/14/04 09:47 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I hope you have a wonderful trip!!! smile

#22600 - 03/15/04 05:18 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

Thanks Sel, very kind of you. I am 2/3 through the Tales from the Alhambra by Washington Irving. Such BEAUTIFUL writing. Gosh, I am a lush, a romantic at heart. BUt, more than anything, I am soooo looking forward to seeing my two little ones (6 y 3). It has been since New Year's day.

For all you long-distance relationship folks out there, while absence makes the heart grow fonder, such absence is only tolerable when one knows there will be a reunion around the corner. And for those of you wondering, the seemingly strange choice of Tarifa simply means that my tourist attractions will be my kids rather than any given city.

Best, A
P.S. And come out and play cricket!!!!! See my post on the Food Drnk Entertainment...Come share the love!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1927 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments