Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22582 - 02/09/04 07:17 PM Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi, I thought I would share our upcoming travel itinerary. You have all been so helpful with past items. I was hoping you can share any insights, wonders, and/or cautions with me. I am especially interested in suggestions from parents (I know you are out there)

We will be four. Mommy, Daddy, and two girls 5 & 3. I am in Madrid. The rest of the fam flies in from SF, Cal.

30 Mar mid-morning arrival; bus to Granada (the worst day). Night near Plaza Nueva, Granada
31 Mar Granada/Alhambra
01 Apr Granada/Alhambra
02 Apr Train Granada-Algeciras; bus to Tarifa
03 Apr Tarifa
04 Apr Tarifa
05 Apr Tarifa --day trip to Tangiers??
06 Apr Tarifa
07 Apr Bus to Puerto de Santa Maria/Cadiz
08 Apr Puerto de Santa Maria/Cadiz
09 Apr Puerto de Santa Maria/Cadiz
10 Apr PM/Cadiz w/afternoon train to Madrid
11 Apr Madrid and afternoon flight frown

I will not have seen the little ones for four months, thus the extended sleepy time in Tarifa (or actually nearby at one of the Costa de Luz beach hotels).

Restaurants, beautiful streets, acitivities, fun/low key stuff, music, art, etc.

Two other things. Yes, Sevilla is missing. But so are a million other places (gosh, I am falling in love with Spain). Also, one question: several locals here in Madrid have cautioned me wrt the Albaycin. Even on this board, I have seen several warnings not to walk around at night there. Is it really that bad. I mean I lived near Atocha train station. Or is it simply dark?

Thanks again, looking forward to the contributions!!
-------------------
He who loves his almohada...

#22583 - 02/09/04 07:25 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
coopertino Offline

Loc: Los Angeles California & Madis...
I lived in Granada for six months, the Albaicin is not dangerous if you go in a group. I have walked around at night up there with just my girlfriend and had no problems. The warnings are there because it is very dark, the streets are narrow and steep and there are not many people around. During the day I find there to be no danger at all. The Sacramonte is a different story, if you venture to the caves area where the gypsies are things can get a bit seedy. Id suggest taking a cab from Plaza Nueva down below or saving any adventure there for during the day. In addition I consider myself to be an expert on Granada, if there is any off the beaten path things in Granada you would like to know about let me know- dc

#22584 - 02/09/04 07:36 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I also lived in Granada last year...and I agree with the previous poster. Actually, the Albaicin was one of my favorite areas of Granada. The sacromonte can be really neat, but not one to wander alone in the dark. That said, I was in that area on a weekly basis alone, during the day, and had no problem. Use your common sense and you should be ok.
I absolutely love Granada, I'm sure you will too.
Good Luck!
Kelly smile

#22585 - 02/09/04 07:47 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

coop,
great. An expert. I love my girls to death. So anything that would enchant them, from really neat places to places to buy neat hand made dolls, matones, etc.

And for my wife and I, any place where we can breathe in the whole experience. They'll be pretty tired, esp that first day. So a place to chill, sangria, music, vistas.

Not into monuments, but want to soak in the vibe. Perhaps streets with tons of flowers...A cafe. A teahouse. running water...OK, now I am getting silly, but I think you know what I mean...Thanks!! ANd hey, suggest away, any neat "undiscovered" places. Our agenda has only the ALhambra and relaxation.

#22586 - 02/09/04 09:28 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
coopertino Offline

Loc: Los Angeles California & Madis...
Granada Adventures: A couple lesser talked about places-
1. Parque Garcia Lorca- Is an amazing park at the bottom of the city, If i remember correctly it is off Calle Arabial, it had football fields of rose bushes and some fountains, its almost all locals and you can just grab a bench a take in the sun and the surrondings.

2. There is a park off the road that leads to the Alhambra, it is off to the right at the end of a parking lot, near one of the big hotels up there. There are gardens and a fantastic view of the city below. When your up at the Alhambra consider taking a look, there are two wooden doors that lead to the entrance. the only problem is that the park has limited hours, so I suggest taking a look when you are up there to visit the Alhambra. There is also a pond with some geece and a small fortress kind of thing, I think your kids would enjoy as well.

3. Make sure to find the Mirador de San Nicolas in the Albiacin a view of the Alhambra and city like no other, this is fairly well known but there are normally gypsies playing music people banging on drums etc, you can follow the signs if you walk or take a taxi. Right below the Mirador, you can see it from the lookout point on the street below, is an outdoor bar/resteraunt built almost over the edge of the cliff. Kids are more than welcome.

Feel free to wander, Granada is great for that- hope this helps -DC

#22587 - 02/10/04 01:20 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
My kids loved the Mirador not because of the view but because of the performances by the gypsies. There was also a wedding in the small church near by and all the guests come to the Mirador for photos.

Why so long in Tarifa?

El puerto has a place called Casa Nº6 that has family rooms. It is a gorgeous two room suite. One room has a big bed and the other has two rwin beds. It is a Bed and Breakfast which is alos nice. The folks there were wonderful and it was a great place ot be with the kids.

It is easy to visit the surrounding cities from El Puerto. You might be able to still do Sevilla. Don't miss the horses in Jerez. It would be great for your kids!!

My time to write is limited because I leave in a couple days for Spain and have tons to do to get ready. My family is not going so it means double duty for me. If you search the site you will find lots of great info on previous threads.

I think your kids would love Ronda by the way...
laugh

#22588 - 02/10/04 06:23 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
... Yes, Sevilla is missing. But so are a million other places ...
Being so close, I think you should consider a daytrip to Sevilla on 9 Apr (viernes de Semana Santa) to experience the religious Processions. Regional rail trains run hourly between Cadiz & Sevilla and all stop at el Puerto. Buses between Cadiz & Sevilla depart from right next to the Port in Cadiz and from the Prado de San Sebastian bus station in Sevilla.

Semana Santa is high season at places on Costa de la Luz. Expect to pay high season prices.

Also, are you aware that there's a ferryboat between el Puerto and Cadiz? In el Puerto it departs from the river across the parking lot from Hotel Santa Maria and in Cadiz from the Port of Cadiz.

I would scrub any thoughts about a day trip to Tangier, especially considering that you have small children.

#22589 - 02/10/04 07:31 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

thanks for the responses so far. Why so long in Tarifa? We are under no illusion about traveling with two little ones. After a 18 hour flight and 2 solid days of pounding the pavement in Granada, we will want to relax and reacquaint ourselves--again, we have not seen each other for four months and they are little (3 and 5). From Tarifa, we can explore some of the neighboring towns, including Ronda and Arocs, but as half-day trips from a base of operations.

Would love to experience Sevilla, Ronda, Arcos,etc. propoerly, but when compiling a list, before too long it is a Japanese-style bus tour (no offensive intended, but it is true). No thanks. IMHO, Spain is meant to savor. WHen I studied in Firenze as a student many moons ago, my fondest memories were not of the sights but of the people and of people watching. Bottle of wine on the Spanish steps sure beat running around to see a dozen Roman "must-sees." No knock against Sevilla whatsoever, because I do plan to go. But a day and a half would turn into a must-do, a very anti-vacation sentiment. The girls will love Sevilla when they are older.

As far as nixing Tangiers, why the cold shoulder? I have never been to Northen Africa, so what are the pros and cons? I have no prob substituting in a day trip to other Andalucian towns, but I am curious a to folks' experiences.

Thanks again! A

#22590 - 02/10/04 10:36 AM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
It is more risky and I am afraid that being American increases the risk. We are valued for our money. If you go, you need to be very careful. The school I go to has trips there and they always have disclaimers and warnings posted before people sign up disclosing the dangers. Those who have gone on the trip have always had fun, but it is very different.

There are so many wonderful places in southern Spain that I would save it for a time when the little ones can better appreciate the different culture.

I have not been to Tarifa so I do not know much about it. I did do some research on Estapona and the famous golf courses around San Rogue and think it might be very beautiful.

I love stay put when I am in Spain and spend time relaxing. You are wise not to plan daytrips because you can always decide not to go if you find that you all are tired.

I will be walking the beaches of Málaga in just a few days!!

#22591 - 02/10/04 01:55 PM Re: Travel itinerary with kids
almohada Offline

Sel,
That's interesting to know. Having only stayed in Cordoba for a few days, I can only imagine that the farther south, the closer the semblance with Morocco (so I was told today). I guess I was fancying a really funky and fundamentally different experience. It was not to be the highlight of the trip, no easily dropped. Still if there are other opinions, will take them under advice.

BTW, Sel, any specific places between in the area around Tarifa and Cadiz worth going to with little kids?

Thanks, A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments