Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22552 - 02/04/04 05:26 AM Advice needed on Green Spain...
Au Offline

Loc: Singapore
Help...help....I am at the finalization stage of my trip beginning from 5 Mar....we will definitely be covering these main cities/towns: Madrid, Toledo, Granada, BCN, Girona.

We want to include one more region....with lush green mountains/hills/valleys. However, we will be arriving in March ....

We are considering either Ronda, or the Aragonese Pyrenees regions, or the Northern Green Spain Asturias regions. We have around 3 nights to spare.

Please share your views and advice on which one of the above we should go...appreciate info on how cold these regip\ons would be too.

Thank you thank you!

#22553 - 02/04/04 07:45 PM Re: Advice needed on Green Spain...
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I would suggest San Sebastian. My wife and I were in San Sebastian last March. The days were sunny and warm, but the evenings were very cool. The area San Sebastian is pictureque, mountains, green forests and pastures. I loved San Sebastian, it is a very charming city.

My wife and I spent most of our time in the old section of the City; we stayed at the Maria Christina. We ate dinner only one evening, at Urepel on Calle Salamanca. You need to make reservations because they only have one sitting during the evening.

Why did we only eat dinner one evening? Because the last three days we enjoyed a big meal at lunch, the menu del dia at Juantxo Taberna and Alotzu Jatetxea. Then in the evening we walked among the old town bars enjoying Pintxos. Pintxos are Basque version of Tapas; only they are spread out along the bar rather than ordering from a menu. You walk in ask for a plate, glass of wine or beer, and help yourself. When you get ready to leave, tell bartender what you ate and drank, and he will tell you your bill. An honor system! Do not be intimated if you do not know Spanish or if the bar is crowded with locals. I know a little, especially food items, the locals will help you understand what you are eating even if they do not know English. I really enjoyed myself, everyone was very helpful and friendly. I was a little concerned since our first day there our country invaded Iraq. I think the bartenders were a little surprised since we showed up three nights in a row. But I was greeted with a big smile, and a warm greeting. I recommend stopping at several bars throughout the night. I call it grazing.

Enjoy your trip.

#22554 - 02/04/04 10:22 PM Re: Advice needed on Green Spain...
Au Offline

Loc: Singapore
Lovely Gsobotta! Thanks!

#22555 - 02/06/04 04:53 AM Re: Advice needed on Green Spain...
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You want GREEN?? Head for Cantabria! And if you get tired of stepping in 'cow pies' on the road, visit places like Santander, Santillana del mar, Laredo and even Potes. The Palomilla bus from Santander terminates in Potes (Picos de Europa) in March: doesn't go to Fuente De; there's still a lot of snow up there. laugh

Santo Toribio Monastery, 2km from Potes is where the largest known fragment of the Cross on which Christ was crucified is guarded.

You might want to take the FEVE (narrow gauge rail line) Bilbao-Santander to see some really beautiful rolling green hills ('Dairy' country)

#22556 - 03/20/04 04:20 PM Re: Advice needed on Green Spain...
Lfarnaiz Offline

Loc: Cantabria- ESPAÑA
Hola, no se si hablan español, pero un sitio muy bonito y que hay de todo es Cantabria, aunque está un poco lejos de Barcelona. En Cantabria teneis ciudad(Santander), la costa(Comillas, Suances, Laredo, etc), la montaña(Picos de Europa), Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno, todo a un paso, puesto que es una Comunidad muy pequeña. También está Santillana del Mar. A 12 km está Comillas o Suances, que son pueblos costeros y a la hora de la comida por 9 euros por persona se suele comer el plato del día que no suele estar mal. Si deseas algun dato mas contacta conmigo. Lfarnaiz@terra.es

#22557 - 03/21/04 02:10 PM Re: Advice needed on Green Spain...
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I'm with Eddie on this one (there's a change). If you're going to Cantabria though try and take in some of Asturias as well. Cangas de Onis is a good centre for the picos as well as Potes, plus the coast there is pretty (anywhere on the river Sella too).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments