Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#22500 - 02/05/04 11:25 AM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
You should do Sevilla and Granada. The gorgeios 'green' areas are best seen when the flowers are blooming and it is warmer. Yout timing is not great to see the lush countryside. It will be in transition. It is considerable warmer in Sevilla. From Sevilla you could easily take the train to visit the bodegas in Jerez and El Puerto de Santa María. You could also take a bus trip into the mountains to see the white pueblos and spend some time in Ronda. I do not remember if you will have your own transportation or not.... Sevilla gives you options to explore inside or outside the city. We spent 8 days in El Puerto and hated leaving. There are wonderful day trips in that region and the history is very rich. Northern Spain is a trip of its own and is certainly worth more than just a night or two. I would save it for your next adventure.

#22501 - 02/05/04 03:35 PM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I also agree that less is better and it is nicer to group places that are near by in the same trip. I try to minimize my one night stays and usually have a couple of 3 night stays during a 2 week trip.

For this reason, I'd save Barcelona and Girona for another trip and group it with Green Spain. I've been to all of these places and they are wonderful but they really deserve the time. I would definately visit Sevilla. The weather in the south will be much nicer also in March. Dropping the northern part of the trip would also mean you could spend more time in the sherry towns and white villages and even Granada. I honestly didn't know what to expect on my first trip to the sherry triangle and wasn't expecting much but it was beautiful people, food, country and of course the sherry!

In Sept/Oct 2001 for my first trip to Spain I put together a trip for 17 days that flowed pretty well....not too rushed and very doable with public transportation. If I recall it went something like this:

Day 1 - arrive Madrid; immediate head to Toledo
Day 2 - Toledo
Day 3/4 - Segovia
Day 5 - Salamanca via Avila daytrip
Day 6 - Salamanca
Day 7 - Salamanca to Madrid; AVE to Sevilla via Cordoba day trip.....this was the only day that I traveled more than 3 hours in one day
Day 8/9 - Sevilla
Day 10 - Arcos via Jerez de la Frontera daytrip
Day 11 - based in Arcos drove around the white village route stopping in Zahara and Grazalema
Day 12 - Ronda
Day 13/14 - Granada
Day 15/16 - Madrid (flew from Granada to Madrid)
Day 17 - home

After this first taste of Spain I haven't been able to get enough....now I visit twice each year in April and late September. It is such a beautiful country and each area is unique and deserves time dedicated to it independently.

Hope this helps... laugh

#22502 - 02/06/04 01:35 AM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I'll take Sevilla over Granada anytime. Although the Alhambra is amazing, Sevilla is far more magical. The suggestion to save Barcelona for another trip is a good one. Or save Madrid for another trip (Am I allowed to say that on this board? laugh ) I must get off this board.... you are going to Spain for your honeymoon, and Cathy M goes twice a year?! Envy rears its ugly head.....

#22503 - 02/06/04 01:42 AM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
Au Offline

Loc: Singapore
dear aidance, cathyM, and Sel,

thank you so much for all the helpful advice & info. I really appreciate it. We need to do more serious research and planning...would likely take the advice to spend more days for Sevilla & Girona regions rather than attempting the pyrenees regions....especially considering the weather in March.

Thanks again! & do keep more views/suggestions coming!

#22504 - 02/09/04 06:16 AM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
Au Offline

Loc: Singapore
Aidance...why do you say Sevilla is magical? I am trying to convince myself to leave out Girona and Parc Nacional d' Aiguestortes....only cover BCN (that's where i fly out to paris), so that I can cover Sevilla. But, is it somewhat similar to other cities like madrid/granada/BCN?
Sigh...decision decision....we have decided to include Ronda....as we prefer small towns....

#22505 - 02/09/04 04:11 PM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Au-
I'm sure aidance will respond but I have to chime in also that Sevilla is a place where you must really visit and spend time. I'm usually partial to smaller cities but Sevilla is a definate exception. The barrio of Santa Cruz with it's maze of whitewashed buildings the cathdral, the Alcazar.....but it's not just the "sights". It's the smell of jasmine and oranges, the tastes of arguably the best tapas in Spain (I'll count the Basque area on it's own!), the ambiance of the people and the flamenco. Sevilla is the heart and soul of Spain. Depending on your individual tastes I'd also suggest cutting time out of Madrid to add more in Sevilla (but then again I'm not a huge Madrid fan) :o Girona is a special little city so it is a hard decision. I visited there for what was supposed to be one night but within an hour or arriving I knew I couldn't leave that quickly.

You're getting alot of great advice from many posters here. smile Just remember that we all have our own individual tastes and likes/dislikes. There is no right or wrong itinerary for your honeymoon - you just need to finalize what your desires are and then make the decision. Please post what you decide and I'm sure you'll get lots of help on hotels/tapas/restaurants/ etc.... laugh

#22506 - 02/09/04 07:15 PM Re: My honeymoon itinerary from 7 Mar 04....
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I'm with Cathy M all the way on this one. Think of the sad possibility that you don't return to Spain again any time soon. You will be glad you went to Seville on this trip. Definitely stay in the Barrio Santa Cruz. See all the main sights ( the tourist office will give you a great brochure) then definitely get lost wandering around, staying out as late as you possibly can.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1676 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments