Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22374 - 11/28/03 08:12 PM Año Jubilar in Santiago
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Hey Eddie, do they really swing the Botafumeiro every Saturday at the 11:00 mass?

What other special things happen during this year? Our summer trip is beginning to take shape and I would love to know more.

Will it be terribly crowded because of the Año Jubilar? we will be spending two weeks in Mñalaga and then two weeks in Galicia. I addition to Santiago, we hope to see some more remote and quieter places.

#22375 - 11/29/03 05:38 AM Re: Año Jubilar in Santiago
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
sel writes
Quote:
Hey Eddie, do they really swing the Botafumeiro every Saturday at the 11:00 mass?
I can only report from my personal experience. The last Año Júbilar Xacobeo was in 1999. I attended a Pilgrims' Mass in Feb.'99 and again in Jul.'99 (24 Jul) and saw the Botafumeiro swing both times. On the latter date the pickpockets were really out in force. I saw an Italian man reporting a theft that happened to him inside the Basilica to a policeman; and someone tried to 'boost' my wallet when I stopped to see a Tuna Universitaria performance at the Plaza de Platerias. 'Shills' in the crowd encourage people to raise their hands up high and clap, leaving one pretty defenseless for a pickpocket. About the time I figured that out, I caught a guy going after a 'cargo' pocket in my 'cargo' shorts. He was pretending to look after a toddler he had with him; but my velcro fasteners are noisy coming open and I recognized the sound.
Quote:
What other special things happen during this year? Our summer trip is beginning to take shape and I would love to know more.
If it's like '99 you can expect concerts & some Bailes Regionales throughout Galicia the month or so leading up to Santiago (25 Jul). I don't know if http://www.Galinor.es will have schedules. They may be able to point you in the right direction.
In Santander (Cantabria), there's a fiesta every year for about a week in July beginning about 10-days before Santiago. The calle de Burgos really rocks!
Quote:
Will it be terribly crowded because of the Año Jubilar?
Yes; mostly around 25 July! Many people from beach resorts in Asturias and Cantabria will drive to Santiago for a couple of days around then. Then you've got your normal summer crowds in Galicia. Add a large number of Pilgrims for this first Jubilee Year of the new Millennium.
P.S.
Maybe I'll see you there. A friend from Lugo is trying to convince me to accompany him on a trip there.

#22376 - 11/29/03 07:03 PM Re: Año Jubilar in Santiago
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Thanks, Eddie!

It seems that our timing is both good and bad. It will be fun to see what kind of entertainment we will find. wink We will be watching for the pickpockets!!!

I have posted our tentative plans in a different post . They will probably be revised several times between now and our departure, but at least we have started planning.

Have you stayed in Lugo before? I have heard that is is gorgeous and I am anxious to see the city.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2023 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments