Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#22306 - 11/08/03 07:28 PM The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
mecky Offline

Loc: US
I will be walking the camino in May of 2004. I will start at St. Jean-pied-de port and planning on walking for 30+- days. Any suggestion when it would be best to start in May since this will bring me in to the month of June when I arrive. I have great guide book send to me from the tourist information office. it is by Millan Bravo Loazano and details day by day. Any suggestions, advise etc. will be appreciated.

#22307 - 11/09/03 05:21 AM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
If you can find a copy of Jack Hitt's 'Off the Road' (currently out of print but you may be able to find it in one of those 'here today, gone tomorrow' discount book outlets), read it. He's a South Carolinian like you and his narrative is amusing.

When you get there, try to attend a Pilgrims' Mass (11:00 AM Saturdays). They swing the Botafumeiro since '04 is an Año Júbilar Xacobeo

#22308 - 11/09/03 10:32 PM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Mecky - I assume you know that it's going to be a Holy year - so the crowds will be allot heavier (some say 10X!). Yow! I walked from Burgos to Santiago with my son in June/July of 2002 and had a great time. If you want updated practical advice you can't beat the "Confraternity of St. James" website and guides. Go to their book store and and buy early next year. It'll have places to stay & eat (refugios & inexpensive nearby hostals). Here's the link:

http://www.csj.org.uk/

You're in for a great ride! By the way you're going to want a rest a bit at the end. If in Santiago, you might consider getting a reservation NOW at an inexpensive hostal there. They're plentiful - but this next summer will be jammed! eek

Best of luck - fupanier

#22309 - 11/10/03 09:34 AM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Just one suggestion: Enjoy!

The Camino de Santiago is one of those experiences that leaves a footprint on your soul for the rest of your life.

Fernando

#22310 - 11/19/03 08:45 AM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
mecky Offline

Greetings to all, well the book OFF THE ROAD has arrived and instead of working I am curled up on the chair in my office listening to the rain and the hauling winds (we are having tornado warnings and expectings a lot of rain etc.)and hearing the music from Top radio out of Madrid. Eddie thank you for the advise in regards to the book. I will give an update at a later time on my toughts of this. Fupanier thank you for the advise also, I am letting my friend in La Coruna guide me with places to stay. I will probably leave for the journEy in mid May and not later. All info is being processed and final decisions will be made later. My hiking boots are being tested everyday by walking with my German Shepard and my backpack is molding to my body. (My neighbors dont know what to make of this strange woman walking with a backpack etc.)
Fernano you are right it is the journey itself that is important. Some of my friends from Madrid will probably join me for a few days but I am not depending on them walking it with me. It will be great if any of them can, since there are very special to me, but it is MY journey. To all once I have finshed the book I will let you know.

#22311 - 06/23/04 12:21 PM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
mecky, are you back from Spain yet? I am interested in hearing about your experience on the Camino. smile Doing research for my classes today, I came upon the route of the camino which was very detailed and interesting for any and all interested.

#22312 - 06/23/04 02:25 PM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
mecky Offline

dear esperanza and all
Yes I have returned here to the US. My 4 weeks in Spain where the greatest. If you get me started on talking about my journey, we should open a bottle of Vino and just sit back. But let me just make a few short comments on my adventure. After arriving in Madrid on April 23 I spend the weekend in Madrid with friends and then took the bus to Pamplona on Monday the 26, my journey had started. I've walked from Pamplona to Burgos, which took about 10 days. (it was cold and raining once out of Pamplona and it was very hard but suffering belongs to a pilgrimmage and I was a very good Pilger) Then I took the night train to Sarria in Galicia and then walked for 7 days to Santiago. My first part of the journey was incredible and I've met many wonderful people from all over the world. It was hard leaving out of Burgos and jumping ahead to get closer to my destiny but my time was limited. Once I've started walking again in Galicia I was lucky enough to make new friends and arriving in Santiago d C was just incredible including the reunion with friends I've lost on the trail. I have a friend that then picked me up and I've was lucky to see Coruna and a lot of Galicia. Then it was time to leave, and again I was lucky to be with friends in Zaragoza and then again a few days of being spoiled in Madrid. There is so much I could tell. Please let me know how I could answer some questions for you about MY Camino. Once I arrived back on American Soil I was confronted with major issues that pushed my Camino totally out of sight for a few weeks. Today my local hometown newspaper published part one of two parts about my Camino, Iam sending this to you by email. I would really love to talk with you by phone. If you can send me you're phone number and I will call you. If youhave a preferred time let me know. Thank you for you're interest on the Camino it was a journey that has made a major impact in my life.

#22313 - 06/23/04 03:25 PM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Mecky that sounds wonderful and good for you. I know the Inca trail made a huge impact on my life sort of like that, and that was only 4 days long! very cool.

#22314 - 06/23/04 07:01 PM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
mecky, you should post a link to the article that you sent me...I am certain others would enjoy reading it smile

#22315 - 06/23/04 07:27 PM Re: The Pilgrims Road to Santiago
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Yes please, I'd love to read it cool

Jo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments