Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22275 - 10/15/03 04:13 PM barcelona v madrid
chez123 Offline

Loc: uk
I am going to madrid on december 10 for 3 days yeeeees!.I have been to Barcelona three times and i love it.Can someone please give their reviews on both i.e which is best why?.Obviously i will be able to make my own mind up soon but to me Barcelona will take some beating

#22276 - 10/15/03 09:38 PM Re: barcelona v madrid
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
This is a tough one. after living in madrid for two months and barcelona for 1 month and sevilla for 8 months, I thought that I would be able to decide. I always loved barcelona more. But this is a tough one now. All three are so different. Sevilla has that traditional feel. Barcelona is more artsy and more fashionable. Madrid, well what can I say, It is probably the most diverse city of the three. I fell in love with madrid, especially salamanca, serrano and other parts. The main st by the main st castellana.

#22277 - 10/16/03 01:48 AM Re: barcelona v madrid
mariacristi Offline

Loc: melbourne
A friend of mine at work just got back from spain few weeks ago,visited Barcelona and Madrid. He was saying both cities are beautiful and yes, very different from each other. For him,he prefers Barcelona 'coz according to him, the people are very cultured.

#22278 - 10/16/03 11:29 AM Re: barcelona v madrid
ScottyB Offline

Loc: New York
I have been to alot of cites in Spain. If you like the fast moving pace. You yould enjoy Madrid, Barcelona & Malaga. I loved them all but not the same as Southeren Spain (Andalucia). If you have never been to Cadiz, San Fernando, Puerto Santa Maria, Conil, Chiclana, Jerez or Puerto Real. this is the Spain I fell in love with.

#22279 - 10/16/03 03:22 PM Re: barcelona v madrid
Hip Priest Offline

Loc: Dublin
Barcelona: more beautiful, more to see, better weather.

Madrid: better marcha, friendlier people.

#22280 - 10/17/03 02:51 AM Re: barcelona v madrid
el viajero Offline

I usually tell people I'd prefer Barcelona for tourism but Madrid to live in.

#22281 - 10/17/03 06:57 AM Re: barcelona v madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Were it not for the fact that the majority of our relatives in Spain are in or near Madrid, I woud say: Barcelona. Maybe it's just that I think most great Capitals should be Puertos de Mar. Barcelona is more of a European city than Madrid while losing none of the ambiance that makes Spain different from the rest of Europe.

ScottyB writes:
Quote:
I have been to alot of cites in Spain. If you like the fast moving pace. You yould enjoy Madrid, Barcelona & Malaga. I loved them all but not the same as Southeren Spain (Andalucia). If you have never been to Cadiz, San Fernando, Puerto Santa Maria, Conil, Chiclana, Jerez or Puerto Real. this is the Spain I fell in love with.
Is there some reason you list Malaga along with Madrid & Barcelona and did not include Sevilla (Capital of Andalucia) on your list?
BTW
Malaga is in southern Spain (Andalucia)

#22282 - 10/17/03 10:23 AM Re: barcelona v madrid
ScottyB Offline

Loc: New York
Your right Sevilla should of been on my list!
I guess I just feel as those bigger towns have lost some of the culture that Spain once was.
Don’t get me wrong I love Spain but I think that Madrid, Barcelona & Malaga are very Beautiful & Touristy and has lost some of the ambiance of Spain. If your looking for a vacation and you speak little or no Spanish you can make it those bigger towns. Everyone speaks English. As you get into southern Spain like Cadiz or Chiclana that people are different, {ie} like Texas from New York just different styles of life and talk.

#22283 - 10/17/03 04:30 PM Re: barcelona v madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
chez123 writes:
Quote:
I am going to madrid on december 10 for 3 days yeeeees!...
3-days! Don't even think about Barcelona. Madrid has a similar ambiance (i.e., nightlife) and has the Museo del Prado, Palacio Réal, Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia, Theissen Museo and so many more attractions. It also has many outdoor attractions like the Puerta del sol, Plaza de Oriente, Plaza Mayór, Puerto de Alcala, Cibeles, etc., etc. In 3-days you will barely have enough time to scratch the surface in Madrid. Enjoy! smile
BTW
ScottyB: You failed to mention Rota! If I connect the dots around the places you mentioned and your obvious exclusion of Rota (cadiz) I can't but help to suspect that you are (or have been) a Military person with some connection to NavSta Rota. You also left out Sanlucar de Barrameda (where the Manzanilla comes from).

#22284 - 10/19/03 05:19 AM Re: barcelona v madrid
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Just to add my biased opinion,
If you stay some time in Madrid, there are so many historic cities you can visit on a day trip (Segovia, Toledo, Avila, Guadalajara, Chinchon, even Salamanca and Cordoba at a pinch)
There are a few subtle differences between the 2 cities (apart from having an extra language to deal with in Barcelona). A lot of day time bars (ie eat and drink places) seem to shut early in Barcelona, around 9 or 10 oclock which is v. early for Spain (you have plenty of choices though). Also in a lot of bars in Madrid you will get a free aperitivo/tapa with your drink.
Madrid feels more of a (Latin-) World city whereas as is correctly pointed out Barca feels like a european city. There are an awful lot of places in Barca that sell Frankfurters, Hamburgers, Bratwurst etc, but this is not the case in Madrid.
I found that in Barcelona all the atractions tend to be a long distance from each other (but they are certainly worth visiting). THe area in Barcelona I don't like is the Eixample is I found clinical and monotonous. In Madrid you only have to walk 2 or 300 metres and the ambience of the neighbourhood completely changes.
Another oddity in Barca is that all the music I heard was English language. It seemed that there maybe would be a problem with either playing Spanish or Catalan music (a large size of Barca's population originate from outside Catalunya). In Madrid you can still listen to plenty of Pop, Dance, Rock, blues, Jazz etc but you will be exposed to more spanish and Latin- AMerican music.
Anyway, you will find Madrid an experience. Have fun!!!!!!
(PS It can get very cold in winter in Madrid and snow is not unknown)

Oh I forgot to add,
Add Bilbao to your list of top Spanish cities (well it is Basque I know, but feels Spanish to a visitor). It is definitely worth visiting, and not just for the Gugenheim. Check out the design of the bridges over the river, or take their metro and visit the Atlantic ocean. Only make sure you have a raincoat - it tends to rain a little in the Basque country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments