MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#22255 - 10/11/03 10:51 PM Re: Galicia
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Besides short stints in Ourense and Vigo, all of my time in Galicia has been in very small towns in the mountains. Twice I have been fortunate enough to be there on market day in the little town of Viana do Bolo. It is my most vivid memory of Galicia.

The gypsies come in with their wagons full of clothing, hardware, meat and produce and clothing. Arriving with them are the pulpo vendors, who set themselves up outside restaurants with their huge copper pots and propane burners. You order your octopus, then head inside to get your bread, potatoes and wine and gaseosa (not La Casera, but the local stuff) and sit family style with the rest of the locals. The vendor brings in your pulpo and you get to add your own oil, pimenton and sal gordo. This is not your typical 12 euro, 8 pieces of Madrid tapas, but a huge, heaping, steaming mound!

The way I understand it, the market/pulpo caravan arrives in small towns all across Galicia on the same day each month. If you are fortunate enough to run into it, don't pass it up!

My second most vivid memory is being summoned from my room to help a dozen other men unload a lumber truck of 20 foot, 12 x 12 inch wooden beams for a carpenter, destined to refurbish a local church!

#22256 - 10/12/03 03:57 PM Re: Galicia
El Cid d'España Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Booklady

El Cid, Galicia is wonderful! besides being the third Holiest place in the Christian world, as Eddie described, it is also, along with Asturias, the most celtic in Spain.

My father and his family are Gallegos, he was born there, then immigrated to Cuba just before the Guerra Incivil, and grew up there. But,I remember as a child my Grandmother telling me stories about Brujas and all sorts of elves and goblins. Very similar to the mythology of the Celtic peoples of Ireland and Scotland. She made me wear an Azabache, to keep away the evil eye and brujas too! I was so surprised when I went to Galicia and noticed the jewelry stores selling azabaches, and postcards of funny witches! Abuela also told me a lot of stories about sprites that lived in trees and under bridges. Not to mention the mermaids! That too is part of Galician mythology.
WOW. smile Speaking of the subject at hand, there's a website that you might want to see. It talks about Iberian-Visigothic Elves (which in my own opinion are ancient stories of alien visitations eek ) and other types of creatures such as Xanas, Cuélebres, and Trasgus.

Iberian-Visigothic Elves

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

No sarcasm intended! I use the to emphasize the fact that you will see new and wondrous things, especially at Monte Santa Tecla, and Baiona and places between the two along the coastal road.
I was just wondering why you had put the " rolleyes ", nada más. Interesting info on Castro I might add.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments